Loose skin or fat?

Options
I thought it would be obvious, but it isn't...to me!

How can you tell the difference between loose skin and fat?

Thanks!

Replies

• Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    Skin is a very thin lining around your body. If you have bulge, it's more than likely excess fat.

Unfortunately loose skin is a unavoidable problem when losing many pounds.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Skin is a very thin lining around your body. If you have bulge, it's more than likely excess fat.

I have tons of "stuff" I can grab, all along my back, shoulder blades, stomach, ribs, etc. It feels pretty thin, and I don't feel anything chunky or thick inside of it, could that be skin?
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options

It is avoidable with a small deficit and losing weight slowly with a good workout routine, also making sure you get enough EFA's.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I have tons of "stuff" I can grab, all along my back, shoulder blades, stomach, ribs, etc. It feels pretty thin, and I don't feel anything chunky or thick inside of it, could that be skin?

Could be skin. How fast did you lose the 92lbs and how did you do it? Even if it is skin, it may still tighten up to some degree, with time, proper nutrition and appropriate care not to make it worse (like wearing compression garments of it bounces around during high intensity cardio to avoid undue stress on the connective tissue).
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's usually both. A lot of people have skin removal surgery when there is still a good bit of excess fat on the body. The skin removed will have several inches of fat underneath it.

When people reach low body fat levels and they still have excess skin, it will be quite thin and will hang a bit in a ripply, wrinkly way.

"I have tons of "stuff" I can grab, all along my back, shoulder blades, stomach, ribs, etc. It feels pretty thin, and I don't feel anything chunky or thick inside of it, could that be skin? "

Maybe. I still have a couple of rolls left and when I pinch them (sorry, don't mean to gross you out) they have at least a 2 - 3" of thickness between my fingers, from the fat underneath. It's very different from pinching a bony area, such as my shoulder blades where the skin and fat are around 1/2" thick. If you don't feel the fatty connective tissue under the skin, it is probably loose skin. You can build muscle mass to fill out the excess skin if it's just a little bit, or it will probably improve over time.

If you are not yet at goal weight and you continue to lose body fat it will get a little tighter.
  • uwdawg07
    Options

Could be skin. How fast did you lose the 92lbs and how did you do it? Even if it is skin, it may still tighten up to some degree, with time, proper nutrition and appropriate care not to make it worse (like wearing compression garments of it bounces around during high intensity cardio to avoid undue stress on the connective tissue).

I on month 23 right now, but I haven't lost any the past five months (depressing)....so I lost 92 in about 18 months.

I lost by dieting, cardio and weight lifting. I do notice my lower stomach bouncing around during cardio, I hate that feeling, yuck. I started wearing shorts that kind of hold it in.

It is not excessive by any means, and no one besides me would probably notice it. But it drives me crazy.

I was also overweight for only a year before I started losing, so I don't think my skin was too stretched for too long, which probably helps.
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    Bumping for the morning crew :)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

pinch the skin on the back of your hand. that's all skin there... no fat.

anywhere you can pinch on your body that is as thin as that is just skin. if it's thicker, then you are also pinching fat.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the harsh reality is.......

whether it is or whether it isn't should not change your goal

time will tell if you keep going and keep working out

it will get better if you keep going and will get worse if you quit
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    What are EFAs?