Trying to Gain Weight

Options
Hey,

I'm a small guy 6ft and 130 lbs. I've always been that skinny. And by always I mean since 6 or 7th grade and I'm 26 now. Over the past month I've started working out for 45-60 minutes every morning and I've seen great improvement to my abs, arms, shoulders, checst and thighs, but I'm really trying to add 20-30 pounds and get into the appropriate healthy weight. Always looking for cheap solutions (that are also healthy) to gain weight faster.

Right now I drink 2-3 soy protein shakes a day, heavy on chicken, nuts, bread (whole wheat) and like to drink 2-3 glasses of juice a day. I also cook large servings of veggies daily.

Replies

• kc_pig
    kc_pig Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Don't give up. I can't seem to get past (consistantly) 200 and I'm 6'7"......... I've found we skinny guys have to eat a helluva lot of healthy foods and carb up. Dense calories such as bread, whole milk, pastas etc. along with your protein shakes and meat. I'm changing my workouts to strength training 4x4 on major lifts (squats, dumbell bench, hang cleans) and 4x6 on auxillary lifts (ring dips/ring pullups/tri extensions....etc). I had been doing a crossfit style with heavy weight but more like 4x6-8 and rotating between 3-4 lifts with minimum rest between. That works great for cutting up but I'm reading that extreme heavy lifting "shocks" the muscles better which build them so I'm changing it up. Also logging calories again. I'm not running as much as I was when applying for a fed agency for 4 years so I lowered calorie intake to 3800/day instead of 4300/day. Google strength training for skinny guys and there's plenty of different workouts/diets out there to try. Good luck my skinny friend!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    MFP is a perfect place to start. I'd suggest loading up on Healthy carbs, pasta is also good for fuel. Also, try not to skip any meals (i.e. Breakfast, lunch and dinner). And try to at least maintain your daily caloric needs for the day. Also, both aerobic and anerobic exercise will be good so that you won't gain fat but muscle. Good luck my friend :-)