5kg per week

Options
Is it possible to lose 5kg per week and if so does anyone have advice, tips or tricks?

Replies

• bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    you want to lose 11 pounds a week?

it might be possible, but it's not recommended.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    a month, yes. you'll be more successful and happy with realistic goals.
  • impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options
    It could be possible, I have no idea.

But I would not recommend nor would believe it is a healthy weight loss goal.

To lose 5kg of body fat in a week you'd need a calorie deficit probably in the negatives, so it's not a very good idea.

MFP recommends a calorie deficit of 500 a day to ensure 1 pound loss every week - I'd suggest trying for that :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Yes. By chopping off body parts. Where did the 5 kg number come from?

To know how quickly you can lose healthily, you need to know two numbers: BMR and TDEE. BMR is the calories your body uses just staying alive (heart pumping, intestines digesting, etc.). TDEE is the actual number of calories you burn daily. You can google to find websites that estimate these numbers for you based on height, weight, and sex.

If your TDEE is at least 250 calories more than your BMR, you can lose about 1/4 kg per week safely.
    If your TDEE is at least 500 calories more than your BMR, you can lose about 1/2 kg per week safely.
    If your TDEE is at least 1,000 calories more than your BMR, you can lose about 1 kg per week safely.

If you eat under your BMR on a regular basis, you are setting yourself up for a variety of unpleasant side effects, ranging from stalled weight loss to severe malnutrition (hair falling out, poor skin tone, etc.).

Addendum: Slower weight loss means that you are less likely to gain it back after you reach goal, less likely to have saggy skin, and more likely to maintain good muscle tone.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the only person I know that has done it required a near death experience followed by 2 weeks in ICU... but he left much lighter.

If you lose that much weight so fast, it will be all muscle and you;ll be worse off for it.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Only if you are willing to chop off an arm or a leg. :huh:
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    You'd have to be burning off 38500 calories a week above your BMR. That's somewhat tricky to achieve.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? Slow and steady is healthier and more likely to be sustainable. After all...you didn't gain all that weight that fast, why should losing g it be much different?
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Probably not, definitely not in an healthy way. What's the rush? You can lose 5 kg and keep them off easier if you do it in a responsible way.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to lose 5kg per week and if so does anyone have advice, tips or tricks?
    Not by any safe/sane methods that will result in lasting weight loss - and you'll do a lot more harm than good by trying.
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    do complete fasting 4 couple of days or more , u will lose 4-5 kgs of water weight .............y to wait 4 a week then...........:tongue:

on a serious note try to lose weight in a healthy way like i did.............lost 22 kgs in 24 weeks by eating more than my bmr and exercising hard..........:wink:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Not of fat.
  • soybuzz
    soybuzz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all you guys for replying :)

I just wanted to know if anyone had without getting severely sick but I don't think I will attempt it any time soon haha
    1kg a week loss is good enough for me at the moment..
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Even 1kg a week is really good if you can keep managing, if you go any lower it will not just be fat it will be mainly muscle and youll end up with a unhealthy looking body and lack any strength
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Possible to lose a lot in the very first week if you eat a carb heavy or junk food diet if you eat clean, drink plenty of water and go for a modest cut in calories as your body rids itself of water weight.

The more you are overweight the more fat you can lose each week, typically 5lbs a week is possible, but I'm talking about say a male who weights 350lbs+ here, not a 220lb male. Unless you have a hormonal problem you don't get to be plus 300lbs without eating a hell of a lot on a daily basis so a cut to normal ish calories will see a pretty dramatic drop for the first few weeks or even month if you are really big and most of it will be fat.

Once you've lost that readily available fat the weight loss becomes much slower and the percentage of muscle you lose will increase the more aggressive you are with the weight loss. The last bit of stubborn fat, usually around the middle of guys or the bum and thighs of women, that will take ages to shift.
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    have lost over 12 pounds in one week before but this was just down to changing my diet sompletely....moving to high protein on low carb... plus exercising - a lot
    it is not sustainable tho as in the next week i lost nothing
    it can be done but u wouldn't be able to pull it off every week if you where being healthy
    xx
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The biggest losers do it all the time, but then again they're exercising every waking hour of the day and following a strict diet.