How do I cook quinoa?

Options
I want to make a few stuffed vegetable recipes (mushrooms, courgettes, peppers, etc) with a bunch of ingredients including qiunoa but how do I cook it? Boil, roast with the veggies, etc? I've no clue! :)

Replies

• helptheyoung
    Options
    hi the way u cook it goes like this 2 cups of water with one cup of quinoa put it in the microwave for 15 minutes and check it every 5-7 minutes good luck :)
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Treat it much as you would rice (it needs to be cooked/rehydrated), and then mix in with whatever else you're stuffing with for baking etc.
  • chez_b
    chez_b Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is also a great filler/thickener for stews. I added 1/2 cup red quinoa to a big pot (~2.5 quarts) of brothy chicken-vegetable soup last night. It doesn't add much in the way of flavor, but does great things for the nutritional value and turns a "light" soup into a filling meal with hardly any additional calories.

Also, when making quinoa pilaf, I like to lightly toast the grains first before adding the water - it gives a more "nutty" flavor.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it REALLY well, first, or it can taste bitter.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's a grain, so it cooks like rice. I like to cook it in vegetable broth, gives it a little more flavor than plain water. I cook it on the stove, 2 cups of liquid for ever cup of quinoa, simmer for about 15 min. It will grow tails when it's done. The germ of the grain is on the outside, as the grain gets cooked and swells the germ pops off and looks like little tails.