Help :(

Options
I just started back to the gym and on MFP. I have been to the gym twice and am really watching and logging my foods. I also quit smoking yesterday.

BUT, I now have a sore throat and cough and feel like crap. I usually get bronchitis once a year (because of smoking) I really don't want this to set me back because I have finally psyched myself up to get back on track. I know I will need an antibiotic because whatever it is just moves to my chest and I end up with bronchitis, so I'm calling the doctor today. But I am kinda bummed because I don't think I can work out if I can't breathe right :(

Any suggestions?

Replies

• lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    See your physician, get well and then start your workout program!
  • LauraRhodes0902
    LauraRhodes0902 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the workout until you get well! Just concentrate on eating well and recoop!!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Don't workout while you are sick. Just watch your calories. You will have plenty of time to workout when you are feeling better, but you will feel bad for a longer time if you don't help your body fight your illness.

Don't let this little setback discourage you. *kitten* happens.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this!

if you can do some walking then great, if not, dont worry about it.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :flowerforyou:
  • Aliykat
    Aliykat Posts: 29
    Options
    Yes dont panic too much, everyone gets sick! Just stay motivated in your mind!
    Use this time to plan out meals in advance, or plan out new fitness routines so that you are stoked to start again once you are better..

feel better soon :)
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Defintely rest up and get better. Most people get sick when they start a workout regimen. As soon as you fell better then get back to it!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    See your doctor, keep your fitness goals in focus and continue with your plan. Feel better!
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Keep logging everyday- no matter what!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    please see the doctor, focus on your food and get well. then start back at the gym.

As a frequent bronchititis sufferer I know how you feel.

Comfortable breathing is far more important than working out right now!

Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, you quit smoking! Congrats (I just quit as well)! Your lungs will be trying to clear out all of that extra gunk for a while...about a week for me. It doesn't ALWAYS mean that you're getting sick, but I agree...see your doctor, take care of your body. Don't demand more of it than it can give right now. It's a partnership - you be good to it, it'll be good to you! :D
  • GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Get well, then continue on with working out. If you don't take proper care of yourself, you will only set yourself back further. You have much enthusiasm right now -- and you will have it still when you are feeling better. best of luck with the stopping smoking also!! I smoked for 30 + years, and quit last September. yes, I quit right in the middle of trying to lose weight. Yes, it gave me some weight loss set backs, but it was the right thing to do and the right time for me. keep with it - you can do it!!
  • Tamicejl
    Tamicejl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First I want to say GOOD FOR YOU... for kicking the smoking habit. I know it is hard ..... I am a year in and am not looking back. I would say to try walking if not anything. I know it is hard but .... slow and steady is cool.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't workout until you're better, but make healthy eating choices!
  • BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options

^^ this.. come back stronger and harder!!!
  • emtjab
    emtjab Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo! Congrats on dumping the cigs! It is probably the hardest thing you will do. If you haven't already, go to Quitplan.com and gain insights such as how long after your BP drops and when your breathing will return. Lots of great information there!

Keep in mind that when you quit, your body will do just about everything it can to get you to go back to smoking....you will have coughing and illnesses, blahs and aches and pains...it's not just cravings. Your body is going through a complete changeover.....See a doctor and get what you need to keep both the illnesses and the cravings at bay.

Also, be very wary of the 4 month blahs....i can't tell you how many times I made it to that mark and then started up again because of it....it can best be described as "nothing feels right without smoking".....once you get past that...you're home free!!

Good luck with your excercise program and your quitting! You can do anything you set your mind to do!
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just got over having brochiloitis and wasn't able to work out for about a month - I still lost 10lbs. Just focus on your eating and wait til you feel better to exercise :)
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Don't let it bum you out. Just keep your diet clean and get better, and then start back at the gym when you're feeling 100% -- it'll probably be better for your [psychologically] if you wait to start back at the gym until you feel 100%.

Good luck!!!
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for all your support. I really appreciate it.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking may make you cough at the beginning believe it or not. At least for me it did, hacking up all the crap that I put in there with the cigs. But I would still go to the Dr if your susceptible to Bronchitis cause it won't go away without antibiotics.