Getting healthy while pregnant?

Options
So I just found out I am expecting. Now, I know this is a blessing, but I cant help but think of it as a setback as well. Can someone please give me advice on what I can do to get healthy while pregnant. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Eat plenty of fruits, veggies and lean protein. Talk to your doctor about how many calories to eat each day and how much weight to gain during pregnancy. CONGRATULATIONS!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Babies are true blessings. I wish I could have one, but I'm just not ready yet and finanically barely supporting myself.

I had a doctor once that told me about one of her patients. Said she was pregnant and overweight with diabetes. by the time she was about to give birth, she had lost a substantial amount of weight and her diabetes were gone.

I think if you just work on eating healthier and taking some walks when you feel up to it, you may be able to lose some weight. Don't go all crazy though becuase your baby needs you to eat and take care of yourself. And don't get discouraged if you don't lose a big amount of wieght because you will be gaining weight with the baby anyways.

If you start with the eating healthier and maybe recording (if you ask your doctor how much you should be eating), then when the baby does come, you will be once step closer to buckling down and starting to exercise everything off.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, and if she/he isn't much help, talk to a professional nutritionist. I know I would, as staying healthy while pregnant is very important and also not something you want to mess up on.

Good luck and congratulations!!
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    First discuss with your OB as to if its alright for you to lose weight.

I hadn't even thought about losing weight until several months after I gave birth, but during my first trimester I lost 20lbs because I completely changed how I ate (I went from fast food 4 times a week, to maybe once. Never eating fruits/veggies to ALWAYS eating fruits veggies) because I wanted to eat right for my baby.

My OB mentioned the weight loss and said "congrats! But don't get used to it." Since I "Had the weight to lose" they were cool with my weight loss. From my pre-first term labor weight, I only gained 13lbs. I went in at 37 weeks at 175, and came out 145. and I've kept my weight down and even lost quite a bit since then!

So don't see this as a set back, but as an opportunity! Think about all the great things you can eat to help that baby grow up wonderfully. <3<3 CONGRATS!!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Folic Acid! It is essential to healthy neural tube development which happens early in the pregnancy. There have lately been studies showing a possible connection with that and heart development as well. Get a prenatal vitamin with folic acid.

The March of Dimes actually suggests that all women of child-bearing age take folic acid, just to make sure.
  • __Jamie__
    __Jamie__ Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Eat plenty of fruits, veggies and lean protein. Talk to your doctor about how many calories to eat each day and how much weight to gain during pregnancy. CONGRATULATIONS!!

I don't mean to put a downer on this topic at all, or pull people up on things because I'm not an expert by any means but go easy on the fruit, and especially avoid fruit juices - they're FULL of sugar, it might be natural sugars but they're still insulin-inducing and will do the opposite of helping you burn fat.

Go crazy with the veg, eat as much as you can if you feel so inclined. If you're making the change to eat healthy while you're pregnant, I'd urge you to maintain such a lifestyle. If you could keep it up and pass on the knowledge you acquire to your children, they'll be set for the best start in life with regards to their health.

If you're looking at keeping your weight down & energy up, resistance training all the way! Even if you just get yourself a pair of 3KG dumbbells you'll be able to tone your arms, back, chest, legs, stomach (situps) and if you consume protein after a workout your muscle repair will be enhanced and more muscle = better metabolism = burn more fat and be more healthy :)

AVOID all refined carbs (processed foods).
  • Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful suggestion and congratulations!! I will def talk with my OB and look into speaking with a nutritionist. I have 60+ lbs to lose as of now, so hopefully I will get the go ahead. I will focus on the veggies, fruits and lean meats and walk as often as I can.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 33 weeks, and have managed to stay healthy for my pregnancy. I've gained about 24 lbs and remained active.

My advice to you is to talk to your doctor first and keep up with all your prenatal appointments. Secondly, you should not be overly restrictive with your carb or calorie intake at this time unless directed to do so by your doctor. Generally speaking, your body needs about 300-500 extra calories per day to maintain a healthy pregnancy, and those are above your maintenance level intake.

For my first trimester, I was eating right at maintenance, but I gained several pounds in water and fluid weight mostly. This is normal as the hormone surge can make fluid retention much worse than pre-pregnancy. Do not panic.

For my second trimester, I was eating at maintenance plus 1/2 lb per week gain, and for third, I'm at maintenance plus 1 lb per week. This has worked very well for me.

I eat a lot of fruit, veggies, meat, and dairy. I do also have chocolate, pizza, ice cream, and other indulgence foods every once in a while, but I make sure it fits my calorie goals for the day. I also do at least 30 minutes of walking or swimming daily.

You should not be focusing on losing weight while pregnant. Calorie restrictions especially drastic ones can harm your child's development and make it difficult for you to get enough nutrients to support the pregnancy and you. Please do NOT make it a goal to lose weight while pregnant.

Lastly, start taking a prenatal vitamin now. Early pregnancy is vital for your child's brain development, and those prenatal vitamins provide the necessary folic acid and other nutrients your child needs to develop.

You should also join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1920-fit-fabulous-pregnant-

There are some really helpful great people there than can offer more support and better information than what you will find in the main forums.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Babies are true blessings. I wish I could have one, but I'm just not ready yet and finanically barely supporting myself.

I had a doctor once that told me about one of her patients. Said she was pregnant and overweight with diabetes. by the time she was about to give birth, she had lost a substantial amount of weight and her diabetes were gone.

I think if you just work on eating healthier and taking some walks when you feel up to it, you may be able to lose some weight. Don't go all crazy though becuase your baby needs you to eat and take care of yourself. And don't get discouraged if you don't lose a big amount of wieght because you will be gaining weight with the baby anyways.

If you start with the eating healthier and maybe recording (if you ask your doctor how much you should be eating), then when the baby does come, you will be once step closer to buckling down and starting to exercise everything off.

I was overweight when I got pregnant with my daughter and very soon after developed gestational diabetes. But, oddly enough, I also developed severe morning sickness and I lost so much weight that the gestational diabetes faded away. I did watch the sugar and empty calories throughout my pregnancy and the day I delivered my healthy daughter, I weighed less than I did before I got pregnant. When I got into trouble was post-partum and I gained a lot of weight back that I had lost. :frown:
  • Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 33 weeks, and have managed to stay healthy for my pregnancy. I've gained about 24 lbs and remained active.

My advice to you is to talk to your doctor first and keep up with all your prenatal appointments. Secondly, you should not be overly restrictive with your carb or calorie intake at this time unless directed to do so by your doctor. Generally speaking, your body needs about 300-500 extra calories per day to maintain a healthy pregnancy, and those are above your maintenance level intake.

For my first trimester, I was eating right at maintenance, but I gained several pounds in water and fluid weight mostly. This is normal as the hormone surge can make fluid retention much worse than pre-pregnancy. Do not panic.

For my second trimester, I was eating at maintenance plus 1/2 lb per week gain, and for third, I'm at maintenance plus 1 lb per week. This has worked very well for me.

I eat a lot of fruit, veggies, meat, and dairy. I do also have chocolate, pizza, ice cream, and other indulgence foods every once in a while, but I make sure it fits my calorie goals for the day. I also do at least 30 minutes of walking or swimming daily.

You should not be focusing on losing weight while pregnant. Calorie restrictions especially drastic ones can harm your child's development and make it difficult for you to get enough nutrients to support the pregnancy and you. Please do NOT make it a goal to lose weight while pregnant.

Lastly, start taking a prenatal vitamin now. Early pregnancy is vital for your child's brain development, and those prenatal vitamins provide the necessary folic acid and other nutrients your child needs to develop.

You should also join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1920-fit-fabulous-pregnant-

There are some really helpful great people there than can offer more support and better information than what you will find in the main forums.

Thanks for the advice and the link! I have joined the group... going to browse now.
  • AAJoseph
    AAJoseph Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am preggers too, and I know what you mean by that 'set-back' feeling. I just have to think about the little person inside that has needs also. I took a break from MFP as soon as I found out that I was preggers because I knew it would be hard for me (but that is just me). However I am fine and more importantly to me baby is fine. I do not restrict much, and I feel like my body is making up for lost time on sugar/snacks as my choices before were much healthier. But all of my tests are good and baby is right on track so far. Try to enjoy this as much as possible... you do not need teh extra stress of worrying about your weight/size. You are going to grow regardless. I just try to stay active so that I can hit the ground running post-partum. I am still taking an exercise class at least once a week and try to walk as much as possible. Best wishes.