Is this too much for one day?

Options
Is it too much if i workout in about an hour && do a bit oh lower weight high rep lifts at home, than later go swimming and after going swimming lifting again for awhile higher weight low rep?

Replies

• savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What are you wanting to achieve? Why are you splitting up the weight training?
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    Sounds good to me.
  • Maliberri
    Options
    Goals are to gain muscle and strength, i split them up because i can do the low rep at home but my mom is taking me to a fitness club later and I'm going swimming but I still wanna take advantage of the gym they have there too :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The only problem if you are looking to gain muscle is with that much exercise you will need to eat a lot of food to make sure you aren't eating at a deficit.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great amount, and you should do it! Make sure you eat enough to keep your energy up.
  • Maliberri
    Options
    Alright thanks I wont have any problem eating enough calories!
  • Maliberri
    Options
    Thanks everyone !
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Lifting twice in one day is pointless.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lifting + swimming isn't an issue (and is actually my favorite combo, but alas, I have no indoor pool/gym membership). I'm wondering why you're doing high rep/low weights followed by high weight/low rep? That's going to open up a whole debate on here, btw ;)
  • marionmmm
    Options
    how come? why is lifting twice a day pointless? I dont do it, but wondering....
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Weightlifting isn't what benefits your body. The rest you give your body afterwards is. When you lift, you're causing microtears in the muscles, and provided your nutrition is right, and you give the body time to rest, the muscles will heal stronger than before. It is a process that takes time, however. Lifting again when the muscles are already "torn" will accomplish absolutely NOTHING and will actually slow progress.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Giving your muscles time to recover is what allows you to lift heavier, while also recomposing your body. Lifting weights is essentially tearing little tears in your muscles; afterwards, your body works to recover (hence why extra calories is needed to actually gain additional muscle, let alone proper calories to adequately repair). If you lift in the morning, then lift the same muscle groups later in the day, you're not giving your body adequate time to recover. The general guideline is 24-48 hours rest between muscle groups, though people have worked the same group in less (that's more anecdotal, though). Lifting with the same group too soon again ups the risk of injury, as well as selling yourself short; you might end up being stuck at the same weight for longer if muscles aren't given a chance to essentially get stronger. This can all lead to "overtraining," which is also controversial.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    In one day? no, it's fine. Doing that every day for an extended period of time may be. Listen to your body, give it enough cals and sleep and see how you do.

The thing that jumps out at me is why you are doing high weight/low reps last. IMO, that's the one that puts the most emphasis on technique and thus should be done first, while you are fresh and strong - not last when you are likely already fatigued.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Not if you're splitting body parts. It's fine to say lift for legs in the morning and doing arms in the evening. Some people can't spend more than 30 minutes at a time in the gym and this may be the way they ensure getting in what they want to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Giving your muscles time to recover is what allows you to lift heavier, while also recomposing your body. Lifting weights is essentially tearing little tears in your muscles; afterwards, your body works to recover (hence why extra calories is needed to actually gain additional muscle, let alone proper calories to adequately repair). If you lift in the morning, then lift the same muscle groups later in the day, you're not giving your body adequate time to recover. The general guideline is 24-48 hours rest between muscle groups, though people have worked the same group in less (that's more anecdotal, though). Lifting with the same group too soon again ups the risk of injury, as well as selling yourself short; you might end up being stuck at the same weight for longer if muscles aren't given a chance to essentially get stronger. This can all lead to "overtraining," which is also controversial.

Is this really an issue since the first workout is going to be with low weights? Low weights and high reps seems more for endurance rather than actual muscle growth, isn't it? Curious about this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

^^^^this...because you are tearing muscle fibers and they need time to repair. Just lift heavy, full body compound lifts 3x weekly and you're golden. Do cardio on non-lift days. If you feel the need to do something on lift days, just go for a 30-45 minute low intensity walk at a time other than when you're lifting (I do it for heart health)
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Not if you're splitting body parts. It's fine to say lift for legs in the morning and doing arms in the evening. Some people can't spend more than 30 minutes at a time in the gym and this may be the way they ensure getting in what they want to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Splitting body parts is another matter entirely but I know that's not what she's talking about.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you mean by "low weight, high rep", your morning, at home workout could be considered, no more than cardio, anyway... Much like using an Elliptical, bike, or rowing machine at medium to high resistance. The problem is, it won't do much for muscle, or strength gains, but can help your muscular endurance.

Splitting up body parts would be the best way to make sure you get the most of your day, and I wouldn't work like that everyday. Your muscles do need time to rebuild, and recover. When you're resting is when your body does all it's work.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine to me....I often engage in more than one fitness activity in a day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

No it's not. It may not be ideal, depending on your goals, but it's certainly not pointless.