Accuracy of the Recipe Builder on MFP

Options
Slaci_Jo
Slaci_Jo Posts: 69 Member
Any thoughts? I added a recipe I made last night that I figured had a lot more calories in it than when popped up on here.

Replies

• rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty close, and you have to remember portion sizes so I'm assuming it goes with a pretty general portion size since it doesn't let you specify what the portion size is.
  • Slaci_Jo
    Options
    Yea I try to gauge the portions as well as I can. For example last nights dinner was easy because it only served four and since it was Cajun chicken nuggets I could easily count out 4 servings. Tonight I am making a soup that serves 8, so that may be a liitle more difficult to measure out unless I get out 8 bowls and fill them evenly (which would make doing the dishes even more of a pain lol)
  • AndreaEllen
    AndreaEllen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've used the recipe builder, I just convert everything into a one cup portion size. Which is really easy for stews and currys. If I have everything in a slow cooker, I just calculate the quart size to cups.
  • Slaci_Jo
    Options
    Thats a great idea! It would be much easier to measure in cups than trying to equally divide everything
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The calories relected in recipe builder are only as accurate as the information entered in the food database. Since most of that is user submitted I usually double check against another site like livestrong to ensure accuracy.

When I plugged in 4 oz of chuck roast MFP said it was only 140 calories. Although I would like to believe that was correct, obviously it was not. You can create your own custom portion sizes as long as you word the new food choice so the system does not read it as a duplicate.
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I also do the cup method. We did a black eye peas gumbo last night. I measured it out of the pot into a storage unit. It came out to 10 cups...done! (and it tasted awesome...so win win.)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've used the recipe builder, I just convert everything into a one cup portion size. Which is really easy for stews and currys. If I have everything in a slow cooker, I just calculate the quart size to cups.

I do the cup method as well. Also I use a ladle that is one cup. :-)