Exercise in a hospital?

Options
Any ideas on what I can do for exercise in a hospital or away from home and from my gym? My son is in and out of the hospital, and even when he's out we have to stay locally, which is two-and-a-half hours from home. I thought of climbing the stairs, but I'm sure that will get boring after a while. And the people staying below us would probably not appreciate me doing jumping jacks or running in place in our room. Exercising outside is also an idea, but he is immunosuppressed, so if I get sick I can't stay with him. Not trying to make excuses but I'm really having a hard time figuring this out.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What's your goal? Simply to lose weight? Just eat better, no need to exercise. If it's something else, then those specific goals will determine what you should be trying to do.

BTW... exercising outside doesn't make you sick.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    try looking up the arnold schwarzenneger 1% workout. its 15 minutes a day (so even if it does bother folk downstairs its not for long) and good for no equipment and little space. good luck.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Yes, climb the stairs when you can, or just walk. You can do squats & lunges in the room or hallway. During tough times just be as active as you can. Good luck to you & your son.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    What's your goal? Simply to lose weight? Just eat better, no need to exercise. If it's something else, then those specific goals will determine what you should be trying to do.

BTW... exercising outside doesn't make you sick.

If you are vampire then exercising outside in the sun makes you sick. Please take into account all types, MFP is a family.

I also agree 100% with your diet, Accept cal in vs cal out and eat at a deficit. Run stairs though - listen to music. If you 'don't feel like' running stairs (climbing stairs = working out = not feel like working out) then you really just don't want to exercise - so work on your diet. :drinker:
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was hospitalized, my husband and I walked laps around the hospital campus (it was at a University so it was quite a large campus with a lot of indoor spaces to do some walking).
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I was just in the hospital for four days (with no movement issues) and I walked the halls for 30 minutes 1-2x a day. If you walk briskly enough, you can get your heart rate up (I know you said it's your son who's being hospitalized, but I know that I walked enough that the nurse laughed everytime the HRM people called her concerned about me!). Some hospitals have indoor tracks, or mini-gyms, as well. Otherwise, using your feet to walk stairs or the halls for a good halfhour is a good little cardio boost. Strength training with your own body weight is definitely something, too (push ups, dips, etc.).
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    c25k may fit in very well for you at the moment. the running workouts start from being a non runner and take you through weekly building you up but you only need about 30 mins for each session and can do straight from the nearest door out of whatever building you are in. all you need are a decent pair of trainers and either a phone that you can download to (iphone/BB etc) or a mp3 players. It would be easier for you to fit in since it can be done at more or less any time and any place within reason and you don't need a gym. Does the hospital have nice grounds? could you run or fast walk round there and/or maybe fit in with other things like trip to local shops to get supplies for you or treats for your son etc.
  • bcw660816
    bcw660816 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Walking would be my first choice....including some stairs. Resistance bands are easy to transport. You might also ask if the hospital has a gym you can use. Or physical therapy room. If you are going to be there for any length of time they may give you a pass.
  • cherisuzanne
    cherisuzanne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your post brings back so many memories. My child had a heart transplant at age 8 and at kidney at age 16. He is now 30 and although things aren't perfect, he is doing great. We spent days and months in hospitals. I am so glad you are thinking of your own health. It is so easy to focus only on your sick child and if you have other children they need your focus too. But the old saying that you must take care of yourself to be able to be there and be there in a good way for your children is so true.
    Stairs at the hospital are a wonderful way to get moving. Exercises where you just sit can be done in the hospital room. I know these won't burn lots of calories but every little bit helps. Isometrics where you tighten and release muscles are good. It is motivation to know you have done this so many times in an hour. Helps to boost your spirits some! Hope you get some good ideas here and I am proud of you for wanting to work toward a healthier you! Friend me if you like. I would love to know how you child is doing.
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    Do stairs for cardio. Even 8 minutes a day is better than nothing. Then do yoga/pilates for resistance work. It doesn't require jumping up and down or making lots of noise. Again,even 8 minutes a day is better than nothing.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your son is in the hospital. I hope he improves and your life normalizes soon.

As for exercising, I also agree - use the stairs. Stairs are so effective. Listen to music to combat the boredom.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Discuss this with the nurses or hospital staff. It may be that they may have an affiliated gym available. Most hospitals have gym affiliations because of the therapies they have to provide in outpatient. I am sure that having a little time where you can do some cardio and strength training would really help relieve the stress you are experiencing. May your son get better soon.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Talk to the hospital staff. I work for a healthcare company and may of our hospitals have fitness classes for employees, while you may not be able to attend the classes if they are offered for employees only they may have a place that you can go on your own in the hospital to do jumping jacks etc without disturbing others.
  • stephaniepullen
    stephaniepullen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! As far as going outside, it's not just the issue of getting sick. Part of my son's cancer treatment is a stem cell transplant which will require him to spend three months in a bone marrow unit. He won't be able to leave the room, and anytime I leave the floor, I have to shower and change clothes to re-enter. I'm trying to come up with ideas to stay active without having to leave the room very much. I've never had to think about germs and exposure this much, and his health and life is much more important to me than a "convenient" workout. If I have to find things to do in the room to keep his exposure to germs down, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all the advice!
  • BlueDancer
    BlueDancer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Could you get a Fitbit? Try pacing about, and you will probably rack up more mileage than you think throughout the day/evening in its entirety. I am sorry your son is unwell. Best wishes to you both xx
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Why not try body weight exercises like squats, push ups, and sit ups or planks? Those take little space to perform and are relatively quiet. For cardio, you could add in stairs and walking.

Good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you can exercise in his room, you are unlikely to disturb anyone, even on another floor.
  • stormyros
    Options
    i hope all goes well for your son and you during this time. my best advice watch portion sizes dont give in at the hospital cafeteria and stairs stairs stairs. when my mom was battleing lung and brain cancer i found it hard to get workouts in yeah stairs can be boring however they really get your heart going even better put a run into the stairs and youll engage many parts of your body also do not forget sleep and water !
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of weight loss is your diet. You can lose all the weight you need without so much as lifting a finger. If you want to get some exercise in use the stairs, walk the halls at a brisk pace but the best exercise you'll do will be putting down your fork and pushing back from the table.