Only caring about calories?

Options
Hi All,

I've noticed a few people on MFP who seem to only worry about the end calorie deficit, not the quality/health benefits of the food they are eating.

I know we are all on here to lose weight, so I was wondering if your primary focus is the healthiness of your diet, or just the end calorie deficit?

Any thoughts welcome!!

A x

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    We are not all on here to lose weight, many are here to treat health conditions or descrease risks, fitness or sporting goals or gain size. It's Myfitnesspal not Mydietpal.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I really only care about the deficit.. Once I hit my goal I may care more but until then I just want to see a lower body fat %!
  • Annabel89
    Annabel89 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Of course- sorry for the generalisation.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I really only care about the deficit.. Once I hit my goal I may care more but until then I just want to see a lower body fat %!

Me too.

That said, I've also added a lot of vegetables, fish and chicken to my diet just so I can eat a bigger volume of food. As much as I love fast food, not much fits into my daily routine.
  • Nanook8
    Nanook8 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy, so while I do watch the calories as a basis for weight loss, I really want to eat healthy, quality foods and use Myfitnesspal so log and keep up with what I am putting in my body. I guess you can lose weight eating packaged food if you stay under your calorie count, but from what I can tell, you get to eat LESS food that way. Healthy foods, fresh vegetables and fruits, allow you to actually fill up while losing weight. At least this it what works for me. To each his/her own.
  • Melarie59
    Options
    I am 53, in pretty good shape..just have this extra insulation I want to get rid of! I think I am paying more attention to what I eat, and eating clean, because I am older...and I want to be healthy and do what I can to preserve that health. Everything I read says that what you eat is 80% of your success to achieving a healthy fit body. that being said, I think everyone needs to do what they feel is best for them!

By the way, we have the same goal weight...good luck to both of us! Happy New Year!

ML
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy, so while I do watch the calories as a basis for weight loss, I really want to eat healthy, quality foods and use Myfitnesspal so log and keep up with what I am putting in my body. I guess you can lose weight eating packaged food if you stay under your calorie count, but from what I can tell, you get to eat LESS food that way. Healthy foods, fresh vegetables and fruits, allow you to actually fill up while losing weight. At least this it what works for me. To each his/her own.

I guess it depends on where you're at too. With the small amount of weight you want to lose, quality becomes more important. For me, just losing the 100 pounds I still have to go would do wonders for my health, no matter what I ate to lose it.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I want to look good nekkid.

I try to do this by getting my daily share of decent protein sources, cutting the trans fats, trying to get my Omega 3's, buying local, grass fed and been read a bedtime story every night beef, etc.

I've read all the 'real food' books and still, I just want to look good nekkid.

Health? Tell me about it when I look Fakkin Awesome.

And, damn it, I'm winning the battle. Hell yeh.

My aim is to look like a gym bunny having never ever entered a gym, ever.

And I will get there, very soon.

I suppose I could insert something in here about wanting to be around longer for my daughter and guff like that but actually I just want to look good ... ... Nekkid. Because I am selfish and my ego is king.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I care about both. Some foods are high in calorie but low in nutritional contents to meet daily needs. So, I have to watch what I eat as well as the caloric content in food. For example, I have been maintaining my caloric needs but my sodium intake was high. I checked my blood pressure and I was pre hypertensive... I weigh 125lbs, exercise freak, excellent heart and blood sugar level but pre hypertensive! This is definitely not good since this will lead to strokes and the likes. What good is it, watching calories only when you may die from bad eating? Not good, might as well eat whatever I want, enjoy and die happy... lol. Therefore, I think it's essential to watch what you eat.
    Also, you should know your nutritional and caloric needs. MFP is just a suggestion. For example, I do not agree with eating 1200 cals a day. That just sets one up for binge eating when off the diet. I think it should be a life long change. And, sometimes mfp may tell you that this is what you need but in fact it isn't! For example, I'm always over my daily sugar intake. ALWAYS! However, I have a tendancy of low blood sugar level. If I cut my sugar level according to what mfp suggests, I'd end up deficient.
  • elisha8685
    Options
    I think many people find that when they count calories they end up leaning towards healthier foods because you get so much more bang for your buck. I care about both and constantly check my nutrient reports to see if I am consistently deficient in anything. When one doughnut has the same amount of calories as a nice big turkey sandwich, I'll take the turkey sandwich 9 times out of 10.
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am really trying to pay more attention to what I eat, not just the calories. Especially the sodium. It makes me feel gross and bloated, so I try to stay under the recommended amount set for me. It seems to work for me. I find it is easier to make healthier choices as I go along. I never used to be much of a label reader, but I read them now automatically.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about the food, but I'm biased, I'm a chef.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think many people find that when they count calories they end up leaning towards healthier foods because you get so much more bang for your buck. I care about both and constantly check my nutrient reports to see if I am consistently deficient in anything. When one doughnut has the same amount of calories as a nice big turkey sandwich, I'll take the turkey sandwich 9 times out of 10.

This. I eat plenty of processed and some junk foods still, but have learned to limit them. That high calorie doughnut just isn't going to keep me as full as the turkey sandwich. I hate being hungry!
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I care about calories only to the extent that I get to around 85% of my TDEE. My focus is on balancing my macros - protein/fat/carbs in a 40/40/20 ratio right now.

When I do that, the calories pretty much take care of themselves.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I was less concerned about my macros/mircros. Now that I'm trying to put some weight back on in muscle, it's a little trickier, so I monitor everything from calories, protein, carbs, fats, etc.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to eat a lot so I eat healthy for the most part. Today I wanted a sandwich with chips, which of course I could have had but for less points believe it or not, I was able to have honey glazed salmon, asparagus, and 1/2c of brown rice. I'm full and satisfied. Besides I'm going to dinner so I wanted to save calories for that.

I like to mess around with my calories on here and find the best healthy fulfilling meal.
  • lotusspark
    Options
    Coming from the size I once was, 316, were I to completely void foods I liked I might fall into a serious binge, as I have seen many others done. I don't deprive myself but the holidays are over and my goal is more serious, the foods I eat are generally tracked by cals alone but I also watch my fat/protein/sugars.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    At the moment I would like to lose about 11 pounds, but was at my "goal weight" (I go to Weight Watchers) within the last few years and I plan to use MFP to look at my overall calories, fat, fiber, etc., while making the kind of food choices I learned at WW. to further complicate things, Santa brought me a Nike Fuelband, which is probably similar to WW's new 360 device, but which I think I will trust more. (I had a WW pedometer that was garbage, and my WW calculator is a nightmare to use -- the buttons barely work.)

I may be going a little crazy, but I do find that a multi-pronged approach seems to work better for me.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that while losing on WW, when I paid close attention to my food choices, I tended to lose more. The exact number of points didn't seem to matter as much, within a reasonable range, of course.

I do believe that the only way to lose weight is make sure calories in < calories out, but I also believe that choices within that framework affect the rate and effectiveness of weight loss. And choices definitely affect how full you feel!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I care about my total cals and my macros. I care about how things taste.

I care very little about the processed/packaged/salted/preserved/hormoned/pesticided/whatever else nature of what I am or am not eating.