Replies

• hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    According to your post you've been accomplishing what you want to accomplish while eating cereal. You seem to enjoy cereal. If you like eating cereal for breakfast and it fits within your calorie/macro goal then why stop eating it?

1) There is nothing inherently wrong with cereal or with sugar.
    C) Eat what makes you happy and fits into your dietary goals.
    &) Quit demonizing particular types of food.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't like sweet food at breakfast and I don't eat eggs, either. I like to eat a toasted bagel thin or english muffin with cream cheese and sliced tomato. Sometimes I'll eat a bagel/eng. muffin with goat cheese, arugula and the slightest drizzle of honey. This morning I had a Morningstar Farm griller on a toasted bagel thin. I also like to eat a veggie bowl for breakfast, which is usually quinoa/polenta/orzo with beans, some sort of sauce, cooked veggies and a sprinkle of cheese. I like to get my veggies in the morning. When I want something sweet for breakfast, I'll have vanilla yogurt with fruit and nuts or oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit. I need my breakfast to stay with me for a long time, or else I'll be snacking at 9am and that sets me up for a downward spiral for the day.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I make a breakfast casserole with egg beaters, green peppers, red peppers, onions, low fat shredded cheese, turkey sausage and bake. You can really add anything you want to it. I bake a pan, and there's my breakfast for the week.
  • tikkathyme
    tikkathyme Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The amount of sugar that's in breakfast cereal (the healthier varieties) is really not that bad, so if you like it and it works for you, I don't think you need to cut it out of your diet. t's hard to beat how quick and easy cereal is. That said, if you want to switch it up, I suggest going with a whole wheat bagel and low fat cream cheese and a piece of fruit, or yogurt with fruit. Eggs and toast are a good option too, if you have a little bit of time to make them in the morning.

I often make "Egg Muffins" for the work week. Here's how I make them: add chopped broccoli and bell peppers (any veggies are fine, frozen works as well as fresh), beaten eggs, splash of milk and a bit of shredded cheese and bake in muffin cups at 350 for about 20 minutes. The amounts of each ingredient can vary widely and the recipe still works. Variations I like include spinach, feta cheese, bacon, potato, etc. You can make a large batch of these in advance and keep them in the fridge or freezer then just warm them up wrapped in a paper towel when you need them.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal! I really only like the "Revolution Oats" brand, though. The blueberry muffin, or brown sugar is super good - sometimes I'll add in a bit of peanut butter.
    Scrambled egg with spinach, hot sauce, and a bit of cheese paired with a piece of toast - dave's killer bread is my favourite. I also don't have much time in the morning so I bought a microwave egg cooker. It's just a little thing I put the egg in, and put it in the microwave for a minute and it's done.

Also, juicing, if it's something you're into. I juiced 4 carrots, 3 apples, 1 cucumber, handful of spinach, and 1/4 of a lemon today, split the juice with my boyfriend and ate a piece of toast.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, eggs, and low-sugar yogurt and fruit are the only things I'll eat for breakfast. Like you, I LOVE cereal but it's processed and full of sugar. I had to cut it out. Experiment with a few ideas and you will find new healthy foods you like :)
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    For me, I need protein fo keep me full for breakfast. I enjoy turkey sausage on an english muffin. Keeps my belly full.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My whole life I was raised on cereal for breakfast. I realize now with this new lifestyle that most cereals are not good and are full of sugar. I've been able to continue eating cereal throughout my journey and still lose weight, but now I'm looking for new ideas to transition myself into eating a more nutritious breakfast. Anyone with a similar experience or any good suggestions for breakfast?

No, not at all. I still eat lots of cereal. The only difference now is that I measure it out and log it in my food diary.
  • peacemama101
    peacemama101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    personally while at home I prefer a good cooked breakfast. Had eggs and ham with spinach this morning. Gives me a good protien start and its filling. However, I will resort back to my oatmeal or yogurt breakfast once I return back to work. Routine works best for me, and skipping breakfast is out of the question these day. By the way you look fantastic. This year Im hitting the work out hard, and trying to loose the last bit of my weight.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't find anything wrong with cereal for breakfast. The problem, as far as my experience, was that I ate too much of it! I learned to measure the cereal to make sure I was getting the correct portion. I do like variety, so on some days I also will eat egg whites, oatmeal, or a low cal muffin, and of course, always add a low fat yogurt. These keep me satisfied and are usually under or right around 300 calories.
  • kpd0202
    Options

I often make "Egg Muffins" for the work week. Here's how I make them: add chopped broccoli and bell peppers (any veggies are fine, frozen works as well as fresh), beaten eggs, splash of milk and a bit of shredded cheese and bake in muffin cups at 350 for about 20 minutes. The amounts of each ingredient can vary widely and the recipe still works. Variations I like include spinach, feta cheese, bacon, potato, etc. You can make a large batch of these in advance and keep them in the fridge or freezer then just warm them up wrapped in a paper towel when you need them.

I love that idea and am going to borrow it. Thanks
  • tikkathyme
    tikkathyme Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Great! You can also make it in a 8x8 baking dish, and just let it cook longer. It's pretty fool proof-have fun playing around with variations!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't find anything wrong with cereal for breakfast. The problem, as far as my experience, was that I ate too much of it! I learned to measure the cereal to make sure I was getting the correct portion. I do like variety, so on some days I also will eat egg whites, oatmeal, or a low cal muffin, and of course, always add a low fat yogurt. These keep me satisfied and are usually under or right around 300 calories.

Agreed! One serving of cereal should be part of a nutritious breakfast. One serving of Cocoa Pebbles is only 110 calories. Add a half cup of milk and you are still under 200 calories. Add some bacon or sausage or some eggs and ham, and then you still don't have a high calorie meal, but a healthy, balanced one.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies and the many ideas! I don't think cereal is evil or anything, but the kind I eat (honey nut cheerios) is full of sugar and its just something I would like to limit more so I can make room for a more nutritious breakfast that will keep me fuller longer.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, eggs, and low-sugar yogurt and fruit are the only things I'll eat for breakfast. Like you, I LOVE cereal but it's processed and full of sugar. I had to cut it out. Experiment with a few ideas and you will find new healthy foods you like :)
    Wait, you cut out cereal because it's processed, but you eat oatmeal (just as processed) and yogurt (equally as processed) instead?

Technically, eggs and fruit are processed as well, unless you're living on a chicken farm and a fruit orchard.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Great! You can also make it in a 8x8 baking dish, and just let it cook longer. It's pretty fool proof-have fun playing around with variations!
    Those are called omelette soufflés, or a frittata if you just use a baking dish.
  • xF7x
    xF7x Posts: 143
    Options
    I always have my protein shake with a protein pancake and almond butter.
    Prior workouts when im going early in the morning, i take a peanut butter ball with 1/2 cup of soy milk.
    then my shake and pancake right after my workout.

you can find the recipes here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/xF7x