Women starting martial arts in their mid-20s

Kyliemish
Kyliemish Posts: 29
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I am so close to enrolling into a couple classes for either Muay Thai or Taekwondo, I have to keep myself motivated and not get discouraged. The physical and mental benefits would be soooo worth it. Especially a healthy dose of confidence, which is exactly what I need.
I have a very supportive BF who would probably take a Muay Thai class with me, but being SO out of shape, I'd feel embarrassed starting out and dying each session ><

Any women start up a martial arts in their mid-20s?
Which style did you take, and how hard was it starting up? And GOD...does flexability actually exist after toning yourself? I feel like a board! =P

Replies

• Kyliemish
    Gina Carano, a mixed martial artist, who is a Muay Thai boxer...I love her abs! My GOD I wish! Women like this is a huge motivation to get fit, and get rid of all this pudge =P

gina2.jpg
  • JenSuazo
    JenSuazo Posts: 10
    I have never don't it either and was considering starting it with my husband when he gets home from deployment. I love UFc and would love to get into mixed martial arts. If you do start it let me know how it goes. :) & GOOD LUCK with your goal.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I did several forms of Karate when I was a teen and am hopeing to start Savate (no one around where I live teaches it). Savate is French kickboxing but I also want to incoporate using a quarterstaff as well.
    Good luck.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 642 Member
    Anytime is a good time to start any type of martial arts training. I used to train in American TaeKwonDo (ATA) when i first got out of the military. It is a slow progression from belt to belt with strict form that is good for developing strong legs. The side kicks you learn help tone you buttocks, my instructor used to tell me that they would form the dimple effect in your butt that the ladies loved! I did it five nights a week for 2 hours per night and loved it, but it wasnt much on self defense, it is more of a sport, tournament style. Recently I transitioned into MMA, learning Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing, kick boxing, grappling etc.. This is the more rounded butt kicking workouts you will get. The boxing workouts alone will show you how much your cardio needs to improve to throw your hands over and over. Great for developing your shoulders and trims your waist as you learn to use your core ,legs and upper body to produce power. We did this for the first hour, each individual at different skill levels. The Muay Thai workouts improve both your hands and kicks, ATA wasnt much on punching ,as strikes to the head did not count in the point fighting system although World TKD Association allows this.
    So... to answer your question, everyone has to start out somewhere, and a good student leaves their humility at the door before they bow into the mat area. This way you will learn more and be a better student. Try some classes first as most places will allow you to try them for free. Know that you are doing something you know nothing about as the technique is different than anything you have ever done. Be willing to learn and try new things as with any exercise program. If your not good at it at first, remember that no one really is! They had to learn from the ground up just like you will. But know that the results are phenomenal. Your confidence in your abilities will increase, your sense of pride in yourself for finishing the workouts, your confidence in being able to defend yourself in this crazy world, your cardio abilities will inrease, your muscle tone will start to show, and you will trim down. It can become addictive as it should becasue you strive to improve yourself and master each technique. For kids it teaches discipline and instills confidence in themselves at the same time teaching restraint and respect for their own abilities. Let it be fun, if it isnt fun you wont want to go back as with any program you try. Its no different than walking into the weight room for the first time and seeing all the big powerful lifters as you humbly use 10-20 lb weights and they have 300 lbs, but remember that most of them started with 10-20 lb weights also. Just my opinion from my experience.
  • Kyliemish
    Thanks for the advice and the motivation!
    =^__^=
    I called the school today and got some FYI on their Taekwondo and Muay Thai courses...defiently thinking of taking Muay Thai!
    $50 per hour for individual training (me and my BF most likely!) or a class scenario (which also appeals to me being in a mixed group of the well trained and beginners)
    I'll probably try out some classes this summer when my little one is 4months and can leave her with Grandma while I go out for a few hours each week =P

And thanks for the advice Hosed49, nice hearing from someone who has experience in the different styles and going into MMA ;)
    And ooooh, that leaving humility at the door, yeah, that'll be a big one. And defiently gotta step in their with the attitude of not knowing anything, and VERY willing the learn and progress.
    I think you got me motivated most with how well most of the moves sculpt waist, thighs and butt!

Soooo, I'll let you all know when I've enrolled...and then see how much the workouts and staying disciplined kicked my *kitten*. I am looking forward to this!!!
    lioncub.gif
  • waxmoon
    waxmoon Posts: 1
    i'm 34 and took up kickboxing about 6 months ago. i was not in very good shape and had a hard time keeping up at first but I loved it right from the first class! I'm in much better shape now although I still want to lose more weight, I feel healthier then I have in years. If you can find something you love doing it doesn't seem like exercise. Good luck! :)
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    I'm taking back to back. First it's TKD. Then right after that its Muay Thai. We also have
    something called Cage Fitness that Matt Hughes from the UFC started that I take right
    after that.

Needless to say, I'm pooped after 2 hours, but I love it.

Doug
  • Consider something a little less mainstream. Look for an instructor that is a marial artist and not a UFC grunt wannabe.

I tried several forms, Isshin-Ryu, Kenpo, Akido....finally landed on Kung Fu....Wah lum tam tui Northern Praying Mantis.

Focused on fluid movements, flexibility, agility, speed.....not so much ground-n-pound you see on TV.

It will give you a rock solid core, legs, and butt....along with grace and balance. There is no belt system and due to its Tai Chi roots the members will be of all ages/sizes
This discussion has been closed.