laser eye surgery

Options
bearkisses
bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
anyone had it, know someone who had it, experiences? I have astigmatism and have been reading that I will actually be able to see better than I do with contacts.

Really want it but want to know as much as possible before even booking a consult so I can drill them with questions.

Replies

• WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 friends who have done it. They all love it, and said it is the best thing ever.

I'm in the same boat as you, and really want to get it. I just need to set up the time to do it, I guess. I would just make sure that who ever does it offers "touch-ups" for life. Once you get it corrected, it does wear off slowly over time, so you will occasionally have to go in to have them fix it again.
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My brother had his done I would say about 13 years or so ago and loves it and his eyes were bad. Has not needed any touch ups yet. I need to finally just get over the fear and do it but I need to go in and discuss it with someone too. I have alot of questiosn as well!
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    My contact prescription was -6.75.... VERY bad vision! I got Lasik almost 3 years ago and it is amazing! I am so happy I did it. I researched doctors and asked friends for Dr. referrals and did consultations with several until I found a Dr. I felt comfortable with. I definitely recommend!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My fiance got it almost ten years ago when it was still a newish procedure. His eyes were incredibly bad, and he still needs to wear glasses to see at 20/20. My dad just got a similar (but different) procedure by getting the entire lenses replaced, and now sees like Superman. Both said the procedure wasn't too painful, and even my fiance is still glad he got it.

I'm with you; if it was covered under my insurance, I'd get it immediately. I hate being dependent on glasses.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Had it done and love it. Didn't have astigmatism though. It's been about 12 years and I still haven't needed to have it re-done.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few people who have had it done with great success. I'm just too wussy and skeptical myself though - until they drop the risk of complications rate to practically zero percent I'll stick with my glasses thanks.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I had it done about 14 years. It was great!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Love it, love it, love it! By far it is the best thing I have ever done for myself.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Husband and I both had it done about 10 yrs ago.... BEST $$$$ I have evr spent. EVER!!!!!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I was very near-sighted with slight astigmatism and had it done almost 5 years ago. It has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. Just a heads up, a burning cornea doesn't smell too pleasant. They didn't warn me about that.
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did it about 4 years ago and hubby did it about 3 years ago. LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE it. I've been in glasses since 6th grade and had bad astigmatism. My suggestion for a question to ask is whether they use laser or blade to remove the lens. If you have the option, go with laser.

The actual process took less than 15 minutes, but there was a bunch of measurements before hand and a bit of recovery time after to make sure everything was OK before they sent you home. The first day feels like you have sand in your eyes, but I slept most of it! The second day my eyes were dry, but I was already seeing close to 20/20. By the third day my eyes felt great and I COULD SEE WITHOUT GLASSES!!!!

Four years later the only problem I have is I am a bit sensitive to bright light. But not that big of a deal, I wear sunglasses in the sun. It was expensive, but if you have a Flexible health spending account, you can use that.

Your doc will know your eyes best, so I would rely on their expertise. My experience was great.
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had astigmatism and had the laser surgery. It was expensive, but I worth it. I laid on the table, they counted down from 43 for each eye, then I sat up and I could see 20/20. The only scary part was when they put the drops in my eye before they started and then moved the light away and everything went dark for a second. There was no pain, but my eyes itched the first day, but after a nap, even that was gone. I have no regrets and love the freedom.
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was very near-sighted with slight astigmatism and had it done almost 5 years ago. It has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. Just a heads up, a burning cornea doesn't smell too pleasant. They didn't warn me about that.

SO TRUE! Kinda like if you burn your hair with a curling iron.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would if I could. However, the astigmatism in one of my eyes is too bad to be able to do so. :sad:
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I schedule surgery for an Ophthalmologist and everyone always raves about their results. It is normally not covered by insurance because it is considered cosmetic. Some insurances do offer a discount type plan but you have to see a certain doctor for that to apply. The cost varies depending on your prescription (vision). The worse your vision is the higher the cost. There is additional cost associated with correcting the astigmatism as well. Keep in mind that having the procedure done while you are still young may mean that you will have to have it done again when you're older.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad I did it.

I almost didn't b/c my eyes were not *that* bad, but wow..... I'm glad I opted to go for it. So quick, so easy and its been 7yrs now and I still see perfectly fine.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My contact prescription was -6.75.... VERY bad vision! I got Lasik almost 3 years ago and it is amazing! I am so happy I did it. I researched doctors and asked friends for Dr. referrals and did consultations with several until I found a Dr. I felt comfortable with. I definitely recommend!

That's my prescription right now! But my right eye is -6.50. I want to get lasik eye surgery but I'm very squeamish about eyes and other people going near them or even putting drops in them :/
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    LASIK was the best decision I made all year. I've had several friends who had it too; all loved it. I was at high astigmatism and very nearsighted, but now I can see better than 20/15.

Don't let your fears rule you; if you research a good doctor with the latest equipment you won't be disappointed.

It's so much easier to work out now without glasses slipping or fogging up, or the pain of allergies on contacts. Life is much more comfortable and I feel more able to do physical activities.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I had LASIK about 10 years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made!