How to deal with the *ahem* side effects of eating Brocoli?

Options
I eat it every day & my poor dog doesn't even want to sleep next to me :-(

Replies

• fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Beano
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Alternate with green beans, reduce portion sizes, try less protein, chew your food better, take an over the counter medication containing simethicone or activated charcoal.
  • tanderson1000
    Options
    Definitely Beano.....I had the same problem. I love broccoli but hated the "side effect" so i started taking Beano (2-3 tablets) right before I eat it and problem solved. Generic Beano works too but I haven't been able to find it recently.
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    Definitely Beano.....I had the same problem. I love broccoli but hated the "side effect" so i started taking Beano (2-3 tablets) right before I eat it and problem solved. Generic Beano works too but I haven't been able to find it recently.

I'll look for this, thank you!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it helps if you steam it first to help break down some of the cellulose.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Make sure your hydrated.
    Drink 2-3 glasses of water 1/2 an hour before you eat. And again 1/2 an hour or so later.
    Works for me.
  • tinanana7
    tinanana7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    you can also try bean-zyme. its half the price of beano (I think you can order a 5-pack on amazon and save even more) and no nasty tablets to chew. I love to load up on healthy veggies and beans for protein but a lot of them have the above mentioned side effects. It works like a charm!
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, I think all the suggestions will help me clear up this problem instead of clearing out a room haha!
  • raynalisa
    raynalisa Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try eating apples. I know that they help with the "ahem" side effects of beans. My mom puts them in her homemade baked beans and it works really well!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    def beano...I ate a whole thing of brocolli once and it wasn't so much the gas itself but the gas pain was unbearable, like someone was stabbing me.....so now when I eat brocolli its only like a cup and its not that often anymore...:blushing: