Perhaps 3rd time on MFP is the charm?

Options
Hello everyone! I hope you all had a pleasant holiday and New Years!

Well, like many people in the world, the New Year came with the same old resolution: LOSE WEIGHT.

This would be my 3rd time on MFP. I lost about 20 pounds the last time and I felt wonderful. However, last January I obtained my first, full time teaching position and it happened to be with an online public charter school. Although there are some perks about working from home, binge eating is not one of them. Much easier to order from home when I am too busy grading to make myself something, right? Stress is a huge factor in my weight gain, because the school I work for deals with students who have been pushed aside, and ignored, and therefore have MAJOR issues. I feel constantly strained under the pressure to help these kiddos succeed, and eating was one way I had to cope with the possibility that not all of these kids are going to make it in the world.

Well it's got to stop. My fiance (the handsome gentleman in my profile picture) and I are in this together and we really want to put our best FEET forward, and do this again. We know it works, we just need the motivation, and support.

I would love friends-but I warn you, I do not tolerate fat shaming. This is about being healthy for me. not looking like a super model. I believe we are all beautiful, weather it is at 120 pounds or 500 and beyond. I have seen a lot of bullying on these forums, even if it is framed in a "nice" tone. As a teacher, I don't tolerate it. There is a line between "tough love" and bullying.

So fellow fitness achievers, let's get this ball rollin'! =D

Replies

• GabbiMarie826
    Options
    Bump :)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You should get a treadmill - so you can stand / walk while you work on the computer
  • GabbiMarie826
    Options
    That would be such a good idea...!!!

...if I had room in my tiny apartment...

Hmm...maybe I could try and do some mini exercises at the desk. Problem is, moving while teacher on a headset may be an issue.

Thanks for the idea though! :D
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back! Not sure how many times I've been "back" the first time I lost 40+ and was within pounds of my goal. Since then it's been 10 lbs up and 2 lbs down. I'm at the heaviest I have ever been (not being pregnant).
    Let's rock 2013!
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. If I worked from home I would eat all day too. So I feel ya on that. =) I'm still trying to lose the holiday weight and then some.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help to prep breakfast/lunch the night before so you aren't ordering food.

And when you are stressed, take a short walk & then eat if you are still hungry.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Treadmill Is a good idea. Also bulk cooking do you have food for the whole week or couple days, whatever you want. Also drink lots of water to try and counter some of the Hunger. It won't be easy but that's the point. You have to work for it. I hope the third time is the charm for you!
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I am on my 3rd round of being on MFP also....feel free to add me!
  • amandaneverfails
    amandaneverfails Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I'm back today for round 2 of MFP. I've tended to bounce back and forth between WW and MFP, but WW is so flipping expensive! And to be honest, I get better support online. So I'm back! Feel free to add me :)
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If a treadmill won't work, how about one of those desk/exercise balls instead of a chair? Or, you could always pace in front of your computer as if you were teaching in front of a live class even though you are at home? :)

Feel free to add me if you are in need of more friends! YOU GOT THIS!!!!
  • nikongirl29
    nikongirl29 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! I also work from home for the most part (I'm a photographer with a studio, but by appointment only - the other "hours" I'm home with my son) so I feel your pain! I think my biggest "help" is planning, planning, planning! If I don't know what I'm eating, don't have what I need on hand, etc. I end up eating crap! You got this! 2013 is your year!!
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I try to keep lots of stuff on hand that is healthy and low calorie. Right now I have a bunch of cauliflower in a dish on the counter. That way if I want to eat, I just grab that. If you can get yourself in the habit of cooking ahead of time and having healthy stuff ready to go, it will be so much easier for you. It's too easy to just order when nothing is ready.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    That would be such a good idea...!!!

...if I had room in my tiny apartment...

Hmm...maybe I could try and do some mini exercises at the desk. Problem is, moving while teacher on a headset may be an issue.

Thanks for the idea though! :D
    Simply standing while using your computer helps. Or using a stability ball instead of a chair. For me, getting in shape meant establishing a routine that I could maintain easily -- I started with the 30DS dvd. Every other morning, 24 minutes and I'm done.
  • c0ffee_l0ver
    c0ffee_l0ver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how stress can lead to binge eating-- I'm in the same boat! Something that has really helped me (and has been mentioned at least once already) is prepping all of my food before I start working. The night before I'll set up my snacks and lunch; I just need to grab some breakfast before I get started and cook a healthy dinner with my love when he gets home from work. Cooking healthy dinners with your fiance may be a fun way to bond and encourage you both to eat better. :) I hope your third time around gives you the encouragement you need to continue in your new healthy lifestyle :) Feel free to add me
  • GabbiMarie826
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!

-I am usually good at planning when it comes to teaching. Problem is, I over plan there, and don't plan enough for myself. Fellow teachers, I am sure you are familiar with the issues of caring so much about your kids, you forget yourself, eh? Well I need to start planning.

-I like a few suggestions about doing things at the computer. I can at least try them and see if they work. Obviously while I am with students via headset isn't going to work, but maybe while listening to my public speaking kids do their recorded speeches would be an option!

Any tips on good tummy and arm exercises I can do at home would be great! Can't afford a gym for a month or so, so I need some do it yourself ideas! :D
  • rmttobe
    Options
    Hey girl! Not sure if this is my 3rd, 4th or 5th time here, but I am in the same boat. Lost 25 lbs last spring and have put 15 back on.. worked as a server and bartender full-time + during the summer (typically greasy early am dinners and burgers for "brunch"), and went back to school after a few years in September. I was determined not to put on another freshman 15, which I generally succeeded in, but I agree that it is so frustrating when you know how to lose weight but just, eat crap anyways. I've also stopped working out, and since I'm not even running around a bit at work, I have accumulated so much cellulite and back to hating the way my body feels during exercise. Like you said, I'm not looking to have a supermodel body, and would honestly be happy losing just 10 lbs if a) It is a loss I maintain. and b) I get stronger and build some endurance. Do you feel like your goals have changed a little bit this time around as well? Add me and I hope we can all stay on track now that we've adjusted to the changes in our lives!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The stability ball chair replacement should help with core. There are a bunch of at-home/desk exercise resources out there on the net, or pick up a cheap exercise DVD at Walmart. :)

As for a headset tying you to your desk, I would invest in one with a cord that is long enough to allow simple standing/pacing in front of your computer. If you cannot find one that is long enough, they do make USB extension cables (I assume your headset is USB attached since most of them are, if not there may be other extenders you can use).
  • GabbiMarie826
    Options
    I am right there with ya honey.

I wouldn't say my main goal has changed: getting healthy.

But I am trying to break down steps to see HOW I should get healthy, instead of just winging it.

1. No more excessive ordering out. I love to eat, and when friends are around, I just want to go crazy. But I don't need to do this every day of the weekend, or even every weekend. That's where I need self control.

2. I need to stop snacking at my computer. It's hard because sometimes I am chained here for 12 hours of the day. But if I snack, it needs to stop being excessive and unhealthy all the time. I can have whatever I want but I need to remember that it means I can't go overboard the next time.

3. I am scared of health risks associated with being heavy. You can be heavy and healthy. But it's hard to do. And I know I am NOT healthy. So I wanted to be around for a long time, for who else would be here to entertain the masses of adolescents via the Interwebs? :)

We need to examine ourselves closely. Why do we overeat? Why do we eat the things we eat? Is it really going to make us feel better overall, or just for a little while?
  • 64fitkat
    64fitkat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great plan GabbiMarie826! I'm back on MFP too, but this time I feel like I'm in the right mind-set to make some life-long changes. I'm chained to my office during the day so what I find that helps me is have a basket of fruit and hot tea bags handy for when I get stressed and want to eat something. I also add lime or lemon juice to my water to give it a little flavor. I need to lose around 25 lbs and my fiance needs to lose around the same so it'll be nice having someone in my household having the same goals as myself. You can do it!!
  • GabbiMarie826
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I really just need to not focus on my comfort food all of the time and realize there are other flavors and foods that are yummy as well! :)