Which running apps have the best GPS signal?

Options
I run in my neighborhood and have yet to find a running app that is accurate. I'm currently using Charity Miles because I like that it donates per every mile run, however, there are certain segments where I lose the signal (example: I ran for 36 minutes, and it only read about 1.7 miles when I know by measuring my route in the car that I ran about 3 miles). I've also used MapMyRun and the free Pedometer app for iphone, both of which also lose the signal in my wooded neighborhood.

I'd love to find an app that really works, and it doesn't have to be free. Or should I give up and use a pedometer? I really want to track my miles run for the year in an accurate way.

Thanks!

Replies

• nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K app by Run Double. I've completed the program, but still use it for pace and distance. They have timed runs, distance runs, fun runs from 20 min to 2 hours, and also a bridge to 10K.

I think it's a terrific app and recommend it to everyone who runs, or wants to run. :)
  • unitedstace
    unitedstace Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like Nike Plus, it's $1.99 but well worth it. Never had a problem with GPS. I used to use RunKeeper which a lot of people love but I had problems with tracking in my neighborhood. They've made a lot of upgrades recently, and it's free!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    i use endomondo and it auto posts here and FB!
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've always used runkeeper and it's not lost me once. It's free- and has a nice website where you can look over your run afterwards. :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    If you live in a heavily wooded area, it might not matter what app you use. I have tried many apps and my garmin, and they are generally pretty close-until I head into the woods and then all bets are off.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The app has nothing to do with it - it's how good the GPS chip is in your phone.

The app will modify when it wants to pause though. If you are losing signal, it's due to your phone. If its pausing all the time, it's due to the app.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I use runmeter and really like it.
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use iSmoothRun on my iphone, if it ever drops GPS signal it will automatically switch to accelerometer while it acquires signal again. Has a bunch of additional benefits that I like (exports to all the major tracking sites, metronome, cadence tracker, intervals).

not sure if it's made for any other platforms.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ismoothrun-pro-gps-pedometer/id410965399?mt=8
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I started with runkepper and it worked great for a week or so then it couldn't find a signal. I switched to nike+ and haven't had an issue. I've used it for a few months now.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Has nothing to do with the app, but GPS signal lost from your phone. If you run/walk in areas with big trees or tall building, or have your phone under layers of clothes, that will affect the signal.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood and have yet to find a running app that is accurate. I'm currently using Charity Miles because I like that it donates per every mile run, however, there are certain segments where I lose the signal (example: I ran for 36 minutes, and it only read about 1.7 miles when I know by measuring my route in the car that I ran about 3 miles). I've also used MapMyRun and the free Pedometer app for iphone, both of which also lose the signal in my wooded neighborhood.

I'd love to find an app that really works, and it doesn't have to be free. Or should I give up and use a pedometer? I really want to track my miles run for the year in an accurate way.

Thanks!

If you're losing signal, it's the phone, not the app.

Perhaps prelog your runs on MapMyRun or similar to figure otu distance/route?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Runtastic is the best free one ive used thus far. most accurate
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Nike + is awesome!!
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I live in the middle of corn fields in Illinois in the U.S. and RunKeeper could never find me - or keep me once it did. Endomondo keeps the GPS very well, imo.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Nike + is awesome!!

And it works well for treadmill running too.
  • lwhite0503
    lwhite0503 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I currently use Nike + and love it. I've used both the sensor that goes either on your shoe laces or in your shoe and the GPS version. Both work great! Runkeeper is was awesome, especially the latest version.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The GPS signal is a feature of your phone. The apps would perform more or less the same, though they might have a different polling interval.
  • alofay
    alofay Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    LOVE Endomondo! Plus, they run a special every once and awhile to get their pro app for $1!
  • Rozieq84
    Options
    i use endomondo and it auto posts here and FB!

I also use Endomondo and think it's terrific. I've never had any issues with it.
  • in4profit
    Options
    Nike+ works great for me both outdoors and on the dreadmill.