Need Motivation!

Options
Im fairly new to MFP and have lost 9lbs thus far on my journey. I am doing well in regards to staying within my calories, but really need to get motivated and start exercising.......i know the weight will come off that much quicker! I joined the local gym yesterday and go tonite for my first session with the personal trainer.......little nervous i must admit. I really want to lose 25lbs by April 1st........do you think this seems reasonable???

Replies

• portergolf
    Options
    Very reasonable. Sounds like you are on the right track. Come up with a plan and stick to it.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi, Stay motivated and use MFP for that kick in the butt! Don't get discouraged and focus on short goals to get you to the larger goal. In reality you want to look and feel good, whatever that may be. Good luck. I know you can do it.
  • Khittle123
    Khittle123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I watch a lot of tv so my solution is for one week, exercise during commericals. After that start a running program and do that for two weeks. The next week, do it three times a week, plus some yoga. The next week do it four times a week and so on and so forth. Just start small, so it's not so overwhelming. Each week add a little bit more.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Definately reasonable! Sounds like you are doing well. I would advise you start slow at the gym so you don't come away with any injuries that would prevent you form getting back there! Good luck!
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Good luck on your journey. Exercise will definitely help. I started by just counting the calories the first couple of weeks, then added exercise. I wouldn't focus as much on the number on the scale by April 1 as much as I would take measurements of Neck, Breast, Waist, Hip, and Thigh and look for changes in those numbers. I would also focus more on how your clothes are fitting, than what the scale says. Losing 25 pounds by April 1 could be reasonable, but it depends a lot on how much you currently weigh and how much you are hoping to lose overall.
  • Hopeful_
    Hopeful_ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's great that you've got a personal trainer, I think seeing your progress during your sessions will really motivate you to keep pushing yourself and getting fitter! Although the usual aim is for 1-2lbs weightloss per week, 3-4lbs per week for example is still healthy weightloss depending on how heavy you are, but I think your goal is reasonable, so stay determined and you'll definitely get there! Sometimes it takes days for me to motivate myself to get back in the gym after a break, but in the end I just tell myself to do it, don't think about it, and focus on the feeling you get after a workout, and how much better and happier it makes you feel! Know that every time you push yourself to "just do it", you're getting closer to your goal! Good luck!
  • SarahSmiles2004
    SarahSmiles2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That is a reasonable goal, roughly 0.2 lbs a week. That's doable and an good way to ease into it instead of thinking "Oh i'm gonna lose 5 lbs a week." Get real, right?

Definitely need to get that exercise in, cardio AND weights. Don't skimp on either. A lot of women tend to think if they lift they will bulk up. SOOOOOO not true, I lift 3x a week - I'm far from bulky. I have a "spectacular" back according to my boyfriend - it's strong and much like a gymnast but it's not "manly." The only way you will bulk up is if you start going on a bulking diet - like those weightlifters to build up all muscle. But if you are just trying to lose weight and tone up, you will not bulk even if you lift heavy. I like lifting heavier than the average woman because it burns a lot more calories and you don't have to do nearly as many reps. 10-12 max, if you lift light you have to do 15-20 reps - not my style. Work your way up on cardio, find something that works for you, dancing, running, walking, elliptical, biking, jump rope, swimming - anything that motivates you and you can do for 30 minutes to an hour. me I prefer to run, it's a mind clearing experience for me. Juts gives me a rush, but it's not for everyone, some people swear by spinning classes or zumba. Whatever works best for you. For my boyfriend it's Insanity DVDs 2-3x a week for cardio because it doesn't get boring for him. Find your place to get your workout. A trainer is a big help too. Trainers have the extra knowledge you don't, they are certified for a reason. They can also answer a lot of questions regarding how often, how much, how fast, and what to eat a lot of times. There is no reason to get on the band wagon of protein shakes and meal replacements - no offense, most people do just fine without - eat right and watch portions - my mother has lost 80 lbs and still losing by watching what she eats - she focuses on eating healthy (whole grains, lean protein, complex carbs, lots of fruits and veggies) She also doesn't deprive herself, if she wants ice cream she gets it, but usually won't keep it in the house - she goes to mcdonalds and get A cone of vanilla ice cream for 170 calories and factors that into her calories she has for the day. NOTE: Factor ALL foods in, no matter what it is, but don't tell yourself that a food is BAD or off limits, yes there are junk foods and foods that aren't so great for you but a treat every so often is not bad. I live by a 90/10 rule, eat really awesome for 90% of the time and that 10% eat something that isn't "good" for you but you enjoy and enjoy every little bite (doesn't mean you need to go crazy and blow your calories).

Also, motivation comes from you and sticking to your regimen, also stick around here and find friends that are positive and encouraging. They help motivate and can sometimes give you that tough love kick in the butt you need when you feel like giving up or not doing your workout/eating lifestyle (remember you're not on a "DIET" you are enjoying a new healthy lifestyle. The word diet has the word DIE in it, makes you feel like dying because you're depriving yourself. Don't do that, don't fall into gimmicks and don't give up.)

Hope that helps, can friend me if you like. :)