Desk work = back pain

Options
Does anyone have particular recommendations for back pain from sitting at a desk job?

I've arranged my chair and monitor to ergonomic suggestions - I just seem to get aches in my lower back from sitting for so long.

I get up and stretch on occasion - but I was wondering what people recommended as far as workouts or stretches to help alleviate the problem, or make it less likely to persist.

Thanks!

Replies

• Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hey, J...

I'd recommend getting an extra-large exercise ball, and lay on it on your back. That stretches your spine out and should help. I also see a chiropractor, as the years of sitting at a desk job have caused one of my discs to rupture, and I have chronic pain from squished nerves (I've had x-rays taken to confirm this diagnosis). The chiropractic adjustments alleviate most of the pain, and walking/running does the rest for me.

Hope your pain isn't caused by anything chronic.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Back pain often here and I find that I have to watch my posture. No matter what I do to sit in the proper position ergonomically, I slouch horribly so check your posture, focus on keeping core tight when you are sitting and getting up and taking breaks is key.
    Stretch your entire lower body when you can and don't neglect calves and hip flexors or IT Band.
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey, J...

I'd recommend getting an extra-large exercise ball, and lay on it on your back. That stretches your spine out and should help. I also see a chiropractor, as the years of sitting at a desk job have caused one of my discs to rupture, and I have chronic pain from squished nerves (I've had x-rays taken to confirm this diagnosis). The chiropractic adjustments alleviate most of the pain, and walking/running does the rest for me.

Hope your pain isn't caused by anything chronic.

Once you've used the exercise ball for stretching, replace your desk chair with it - it forces you to adopt good posture!
  • Hadley_SM
    Hadley_SM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I've found that when I really focus on good posture it helps a lot. I'm always catching myself slouching or leaning into my monitor as if the answer to the particular problem will jump out at me if I get closer. I also catch myself throwing one leg under the other and/or just generally sitting in some weird position when I'm pondering something.
  • HeathrBee
    HeathrBee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've just spent 3 weeks away from the office over the holidays and, surprise surprise, my lower back pain finally went away. After a few hours back in my chair I can feel little twinges of it coming back. I catch myself having really awful posture at my desk. I tend to have my chair set really low, which forces my shoulders to hunch while resting my arms at the keyboard. Try adjusting your seat height to trick your body into better posture. Try and get a foot rest too, I find when I place my feet on the inclided foot rest it makes bad posture more uncomfortable.
  • tenas
    tenas Posts: 121
    Options
    I have a computer table where I can adjust the height and switch between sitting or standing while I work throughout the day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of using a big exercise ball for a chair. Just make sure it's the right height and/or have the air pump with you so you can adjust it. I've been thinking about doing this myself...

If your job is willing to work with you, how about trying a stand-up desk? A few folks around here with back problems have done that. Different companies have different rules...I know here you have to have a doctor's note for just about anything that has to do with your ergonomic set up (desk height, chair, keyboard, etc) because it's costly to have the company come in to do adjustments. But some companies will just do the adjustment because you ask for it. Either way, it's worth asking about.

P.S. In the meantime, make those stretch breaks a priority! I know it's not always easy but set a timer/reminder on your computer, cell phone, etc. Hell, bring in an egg timer if you have to. We started doing stretch breaks in my office and I swear by them now because I was having major problems with my left shoulder before and now it's fine as long as I keep doing those stretches.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here are a few "at your desk" stretches

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/videos/yoga-pilates/5-min-yoga.htm?sssdmh=dm17.558940&esrc=nwftn110711&email=1290104

I find that I have to watch my foot placement throughout the day ..... crossing my legs is a bad habit of mine and makes my posture terrible.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of using a big exercise ball for a chair. Just make sure it's the right height and/or have the air pump with you so you can adjust it. I've been thinking about doing this myself...

If your job is willing to work with you, how about trying a stand-up desk? A few folks around here with back problems have done that. Different companies have different rules...I know here you have to have a doctor's note for just about anything that has to do with your ergonomic set up (desk height, chair, keyboard, etc) because it's costly to have the company come in to do adjustments. But some companies will just do the adjustment because you ask for it. Either way, it's worth asking about.

P.S. In the meantime, make those stretch breaks a priority! I know it's not always easy but set a timer/reminder on your computer, cell phone, etc. Hell, bring in an egg timer if you have to. We started doing stretch breaks in my office and I swear by them now because I was having major problems with my left shoulder before and now it's fine as long as I keep doing those stretches.

Exercise balls come in several sizes ..... size you need depends upon your height. Check with HR before you buy a ball (or leave it at home)..... my workplace won't allow this.
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I appreciate the help!