What did you do in this situation?

Options
I wanted to wait and start my weight loss goals until after all of the holiday meals were out of the way so that the temptation would be less. Well of course one has been snuck in right after I have set my mind on my goals. We have the inlaw family Christmas this weekend and of course mom-in-law is THE best cook. How do you count calories at functions like these? How do you handle it?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    After you do this for a while, you learn to estimate.

Life will always be filled with these types of events. You can't stop living. You are like the rest of us, we all have to learn to navigate these situations.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    These types of occassions are going to come up over and over again in your journey. I use the MFP app on my phone and log everything before I eat it. The database has tons of options, so you can pick something similar to whatever she's serving, and estimate portions (if you can do so pretty well), and it should all work out fine. Plus, if you enter it before you eat it, you can adjust how much you take based on what the calorie counts are. Good luck!

ETA: cmriverside, great minds think alike, lol!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    There will ALWAYS be another meal coming up / event / holiday.. etc. Just watch your portion sizes, estimate to the best of your ability, and move on.

Good luck and enjoy your meal!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories at such events. I just eat what is offered, enjoy myself, and get back to normal after.
  • Junebell83
    Options
    Thank you that really does help.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    If I'm being good I try and avoid things with sauces and puddings. A Christmas dinner can be quite healthy if you stick to the meat and the vegetables.

If it's too hard to resist, remember it is just one day and drink a lot of water to flush out the salt, which can cause you to retain water weight and demotivate you when you step on the scales.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There will ALWAYS be another meal coming up / event / holiday.. etc. Just watch your portion sizes, estimate to the best of your ability, and move on.
    Ditto.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Eat your Mother-ln-Law's great food but in smaller portions. Don't wait to start after some special event - there will be another, and another, and another............................
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Its all about portion control my friend. The problem is that we are a generation of overindulgers! (is that a word? Well it is today my friend) We see food and we just eat till we are passed out with our pants unbuttoned. Nothing wrong with having some good food just do not over due it. If anything get up early and do some cardio to make you feel better. This way you are not feeling guilty
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I wanted to wait and start my weight loss goals until after all of the holiday meals were out of the way so that the temptation would be less. Well of course one has been snuck in right after I have set my mind on my goals. We have the inlaw family Christmas this weekend and of course mom-in-law is THE best cook. How do you count calories at functions like these? How do you handle it?

I would stay in my calories goal and log the rest of the week and work out like a beast. Then enjoy your dinner on the weekend. Keep the spurge to one meal and enjoy. Come Monday...back to beast mode!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I put the healthy options on my plate first. Salad, vegetables, and then there is only a little room for the higher calorie content, pick your favorite (for example Turkey and cranberry and mashed sweet potato) and leave off the less important (for me dressing, mashed potato and gravey) Your plate will be full and flavorfull and you won't feel deprived.
    Just keep the higher calorie portions small and stay away from the food after you finish your plate.
    And log. even if it is just an estimate, it keeps you from making bad choices.
  • tarablyawsum
    tarablyawsum Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What I always do in these situations is be logical about portions and what i actually put in my mouth. I love to enjoy all the yummy no-no's of feasts too. I just dont stuff myself until i have to unbutton my pants. Eating until your only satisfied is much better than being stuffed.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Throw in 1,000 or so quick add calories in your food log and enjoy - don't stuff yourself silly but eat a reasonable amount of all the best stuff. Skip the stuff that's not worth it. An occasional splurge is GOOD for the soul.