Is it obsessing?

Options
Hello all my MFP friends! I am thinking about trying something new and putting my eating on a schedule. Does anyone do this? I feel like it may be obsessing on food but I also think that it might prevent me from over eating and grazing. Breakfast at 8, morning snack at 10, lunch at 1230 (cant help that one cause of work), afternoon snack around 3 and dinner around 730? Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Many people do that. I would not say its obsessing at all.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Whilst not as strict as yours, when I'm at college I find I have strict eating times and it does help keep me a bit more in line. It's regimented by classes, but if I know I'm going to eat at X time it does mentally prepare me a bit more to spread food over a day. Now I'm currently off on holiday I either find that I have started old habits of wandering down to the kitchen with the intent to graze if I don't keep myself busy: I've tried to stick to my same college times or have a larger brunch to get myself through a day where I'm not very busy.

If you think it will help you, then I say go for it. It certainly makes things a bit easier, and if you find your obsessing then you can stop at any point.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I don't have a schedule, but I know A LOT of people who do. If it works for you then go for it. I don't see how it would be obsessive.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I don't do this but my hubby has had a LOT of success doing this. He's down 150 lbs. He would eat 3 meals per day (he's not a snacker) and eat every 5 hrs.

If you can stick to your time schedule then I say go for it!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    While many do this...I'd be careful about how exact you make it. Work days are completly different then weekends....so while yes, I always have my breakfast, snacks and lunch roughly around the same time M-F....Saturday and Sunday are not even close to the same schedule.

So while its a good idea to plan out your day, be careful you dont get depressed or give up if you mess up
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    During the work week I eat at planned times (7am breakfast, 10am snack, 12pm lunch, 2pm snack, 5pm dinner, 7:30 snack). I avoid getting hungry this way, because when I get HUNGRY I eat whatever. Weekends I'm more relaxed, depends on what's on my schedule for the day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,115 Member
    Options
    Your body likes being on a feeding routine, whatever works for you is a good plan.

*edit, must learn to type....

• orangekeeper
    orangekeeper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Agreed, I wouldn't call that obsessing either.

If you can get yourself into a routine I would think it would make it easier to stick to your eating habits....
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Totally normal.
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's obsessive, I eat every 2 1/2 hours until my dinner (which is my largest meal) I don't have a schedule because my days are always alittle different (SAHM and my husbands driver lol)

You have to do whats best for you and not worry if its obsessive unless you start being unhealthy with it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hello all my MFP friends! I am thinking about trying something new and putting my eating on a schedule. Does anyone do this? I feel like it may be obsessing on food but I also think that it might prevent me from over eating and grazing. Breakfast at 8, morning snack at 10, lunch at 1230 (cant help that one cause of work), afternoon snack around 3 and dinner around 730? Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome

Although I generally eat at the same times everyday, it's not carved in stone. To rigid of a regime would cause me major stress :grumble:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If it helps keep you on track, then do it.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I eat on a schedule. I can't eat when I feel like eating because I always feel like eating.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 Hours. This way my body can make the most out of the nutrients it is given. less waist and I'm not hungry (i am always eating).
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Nope. Do what works.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Can't hurt to try, right ?

I figure most people have a routine of some sort .......

I eat breakfast by 8 a.m. ......... lunch between 1 & 2 ....... dinner around 8:30 after work & gym ........ with small snacks inbetween ..... lost 45 lbs doing that ......

Best of luck to you !
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it obsessing. I do it too. I even created a chart that I tack onto my fridge to make sure I follow it, and have my phone remind me when it's time to eat just in case I miss the chart.
    F3591241-1A7F-4D6A-88D1-7D457A710D37-3716-000003B6EBCA6BC8.jpg
  • sissy685
    sissy685 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All of your comments have been really helpful!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No harm in trying this. I did it for awhile. The down side is that I started anticipating mealtimes an hour before. For example, lunch was at 11:00, and I'd start thinking about lunch around 10:00. The up side is that I think it was good for me to develop the self-control to wait for meal-time.

Then I totally derailed.

Now I'm trying something different.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I do so ething similar. I do 20/4 IF so I eat all of my food between 7pm and 11pm. It works for me. It's easier for me to pass up food if I know I'm not allowed to eat until a certain time.