loose skin worry?

Options
hello i want to lose around 150 pounds of weight but i am worried that once i do, i'll have the awful flabby skin you see so many people have when they lose a significant amount of weight. i have done tons of research about how to prevent it such as, eating fruits & veggies, taking vitamins & supplements and maintaining muscle mass through strength training. and also losing weight slowly so the skin has time to adjust to your new body. i have only just begun my journey (only 3 lbs lost) so, i would like some help from people that have gone through this or are going through this already. who here has beat the odds of loose skin after weight loss. what did you do? i am so worried about this...

Replies

• maiahmae
    Options
    I'll join you in this boat, though my research has not been started in this department. This conversation will definitely give something to chew on.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    What you can do to help lessen the amount you will have is keep your skin moisturized. Also, lose your weight slowly so your skin will have a better chance. Also focus on weight training along the way (heavy weights!). You need to ensure your muscles are strong to help .... don't focus as much on the scale and focus on the inches when you lift heavy weights.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Search the forums, this topic is discussed quite a bit. Some people can mostly avoid loose skin, some can't. It's different for everyone.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights is good advice. As is slow weight loss. I have heard as well that you're less likely to get loose skin if you're younger as you skin has better elasticity, so at 21 maybe you shouldn't worry too much.
  • squishy2981
    Options
    Well, I have some pretty righteous-sized thighs which I have cleverly left out of my profile pic, so I have this concern as well. It sounds like you are on the right track with the stuff you have already researched. How old are you? I ask b/c the younger you are, the more quickly your skin rebounds back and regains it shape....elasticity...collagen....all that good jazz! Yes, lose the weight slowly, keep it stretched tight by building muscle. And probably one of the biggest things is hydration!! The more your skin is hydrated the better for it all around. It's easy to see what happens to your skin when its cold and dry outside for example. Simple hydration is key to keeping your skin up to par!
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I heard, and from my pregnancy, that time will return the elasticity in your skin and things will tighten up. I had a horrible hanging belly after my pregnancy and now it doesn't hang like it used to (it's been two years) I don't think it will snap right back but I do think over time with a slow and steady weight loss, your skin will tighten
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you were told you'd have loose skin would you decide not to lose the weight? I don't think anyone can guarantee you're skin will spring right back but if you lose weight you'll probably have fewer health related problems.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Honestly why worry? It probably will happen. I know it will and has happened to me. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. You will feel and look so much better. I've got 200lbs I have to lose in all. I've come to terms that there will be loose skin because being healthy and having a good relationship with food is better than continuing to be obese. And lets face it...flab doesnt look that hot naked either.

Thank God for plastic surgeons! One day I'm going to have a righteous rack and a flat board stomach in less than a day!
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs in two years when standing up you wouldn't be able to tell that I had tons of extra skin, as soon I assumed pushup position.... you can really tell. I dont have much for ya on how to solve it, but as long as I am not showing people pushups I'm good. :wink:
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    First of all awesome of you to have started on a healthier you.. The skin will tighten better in younger people than in older ones, and of course the larger the differences in size the more it may be apparent. However most of this will not be noticeable clothed, and you will look and feel much better. Unless you go to work in a bikini, the rest of the world will see your new great figure and appreciate your effort and dedication.

Im hoping for a magazine perfect body at the end of my weightloss, and so have started doing specific weight exercises to "lift" my man-boobs, make my shoulders appear wider, and minimize my waist giving me a tapered v shape. Im also working on thickening up my arms so that any previous "flab" skin is now taken up by muscle. That said I know (unfortunately) the perfect body will proably NOT be there when i "reach" my goal however a healthier happier me will. There is a price to pay for having let my body go for so long.. and I will accept it, as I accept the positive effects this change will have on my future.

Good Luck
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Skin tips, simple quick post (I don't have time to digest everything, so if I'm repeating anyone- GREAT- cus it's rather sound advice).

1. Drink a crap ton more water. Like a lot of water. Water is like the fuel to everything your body does. And you're gonna need it if you are working out or loosing weight.

2. Mostierize after showers. Seriously. Anything, just lay it on and cover you up good gurrl. I like things with coacoa, shea and mango butter in them, nice and thick- keep me smooth all day. Make sure it sinks in before getting dressed. Remember, do it after a shower when you're pores are open to accepting the delicious lotion.

3. Muscle toning. The more toned you are, the tighter your skin. Throw in three or two days of just muscle toning work outs to your weekly routines. Guaranteed you'll like the other beneficial results as well. That apple bottom you've been wanting? Got.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would say at your age this is not as big as a concern as someone my age. Your skin is still very elastic. That being said, I've lost over 100 pounds, some lost before joining MFP. I will tell you loose skin was and still is a definite issue for me. But I began strength training in July and I have less loose skin now than before. The muscle seems to be filling in where the fat used to be. Probably not very scientific, but I will tell you strength training will most definitely help.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'd say stop thinking about 150 pounds and think about the first 10. Or maybe even the 'lose five pounds in Jan' group that's started. Work on small goals, slow, steady and consistent and you'll be doing well.

Also, you're young so that helps your skin bounce back. But still, don't worry so much about what might happen in a year or so, focus on doing your best today, then tomorrow, then the next day and just keeping on going!

Best of luck!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hey! So I hate to be the one to break the bad news but chances are you will have excess skin. I have weight lifted from day one and have tried to prevent it as hard as I can and sadly I have excess skin. It can take up to two years for your skin to bounce back. But I see it as my battle scar and am proud of my body still. If you have any questions feel free to reach out!
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I began getting the loose skin around 60 lbs lost. I still have another 90 to go. I have been more or less maintaining for a while to let my metabolism adjust and to let my body adjust to the weight change. I have noticed that the further out I get from the loss the more my skin is starting to tighten back up. I moisturize but not every day. I drink water but probably not as much as I should and I'm pushing 37 years old. Take your time, lose your weight slowly and I really think you will probably be ok. Also, if it starts getting really really loose, it may still tighten back up on its own. Best of luck to you and feel free to send a friend request if you like. I'm on here every day.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Honestly why worry? It probably will happen. I know it will and has happened to me. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. You will feel and look so much better. I've got 200lbs I have to lose in all. I've come to terms that there will be loose skin because being healthy and having a good relationship with food is better than continuing to be obese. And lets face it...flab doesnt look that hot naked either.

This x10. I know it's hard, but try not to worry about it. Everything I've read and experienced has convinced me that whether or not one ends of with saggy skin is largely a matter of genetics, not something we can control. So I'm focused on the things I can control.

I have lost over 85 pounds, with maybe ten to go. I have loose skin - no way of knowing if it will gradually shrink or if this is the new me. But, I can tell you that I would not for a nanosecond trade my saggy skin back for all that fat. I am healthy, I am active, I feel great, and my (new) clothes look good on me. So maybe try to focus on how good you will *feel* as the weight come off. Good luck to you!
  • rosyjjj
    rosyjjj Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    this is all great advice. i am 21 for those of you that asked. so yes, i am young. i would just like to say that i am only asking this as a long term question. i am not so much worried about when and how long it will take me to get to my goal weight. i was just researching things to expect when losing weight and that was one of the things that popped up quite frequently. and i agree with the few of you that said they would rather be healthier with loose skin than not healthy with fat. i totally agree! i much rather be healthy... it's just a concern i haven't quite come to terms with. and maybe that has to do with age or the fact that i haven't lost much weight yet. but before you take a test, you study right? i just want to be as informed as i can be :)
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    Weeeeeellllll....To be perfectly frank, once I've lost the weight I need to and I maintain that for a year, I'm heading to my local plastic surgeon and having him/her fix any issues with extra skin if necessary. It's going to be my present to myself.

If not....then I'm going on one heck of a vacation with the saved $$$.

(Edit: and yes, totally aware of the dangers + shallowness of my plan)
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that if your stomach skin hangs over your pants/belt then you will likely have lose skin. I have no idea though