Scared to start Insanity but really really want to!

Options
Hi all,

I've been on MFP since forever and my weight has gone up and down and up and down for as long as I can remember. I became a mom 10 months ago and I went from 138lb to 182lb! By the way...I'm only 5'1...so yeah, that's a lot...after the baby, I took a small break before started working out then with Jillian Michael's help, I went down to 145.2lb then I pulled a muscle in my back from running so I had to stop. Have been seeing a physio for 10 weeks and my back is much better so now I want to get back into it. Thankfully I only gained 2lbs since October so that wasn't 'too' bad.

I now want to start Insanity. I've been seeing, reading, hearing about it for so long but it looks so scary! I am so intimidated but excited by it all and I just don't know if I can do it! Do I have to be really really fit to tackle this? I have worked out sporadically in my life, I've seen personal trainers, I've run, I've done plyometrics so I am familiar with some of the moves I've seen but still so scared...

I've researched on MFP but most are about results and groups. I want to hear from 'regular' people's experience with Insanity and now just people who are already quite fit. I'd especially love to hear from mommies! Does it help with the saggy tummy??

Anyway...that is me...I'd love to hear some great stories to motivate me! Thank you!

Replies

• firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Never done Insanity so take my answer with that in mind and I will start with a question. What are you scared of? It's a DVD. The damn thing isn't going to jump out of the TV smack you around. Borrow it, buy it, rent it...watch it, look at it, then make a choice from there. Good luck with either choice you make!!
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I haven't done Insanity yet - but one thing that I've seen mentioned just about every time someone asks a question like this about any program is that you can do it - modify where you need to and over time you'll notice you're modifying less and less.

:)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It's a DVD. The damn thing isn't going to jump out of the TV smack you around.

:laugh: No, seriously - I laughed so hard I made my cat jump! LMAO!
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Im on week 4, I have found it very challenging but have really enjoyed it so far!
    Im regular, 167lb 5ft9, I ran 30 mins a couple of times a week before doing this, i started as kind of a dare, but also out of curiosity.
    Recommendations:
    1- I wouldnt start it unless you can do at least 10 push ups and run for 15 mins- there is a lot of cardio
    2- if you cant keep up then take a break, the people on the DVD do!
    3- if you can do it with a buddy, i wouldve quit if it werent for the support of my workout buddy
    4-Eat a couple of hours beforehand- the first time i only left an hour after eating before doing a workout i felt so sick afterwards. There are a lot of high impact, jumping about type moves.

Changes i have noticed:
    The second fit test showed me that i have improved my ability to do all the excercises considerably.
    I dont get out of breath as quick.
    My core feels tighter
    I can jump higher/longer/faster
    I feel much stronger

I havent seen any noticable difference, but then it has been christmas and i have been eating and drinking like mad :-)
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Never done Insanity so take my answer with that in mind and I will start with a question. What are you scared of? It's a DVD. The damn thing isn't going to jump out of the TV smack you around. Borrow it, buy it, rent it...watch it, look at it, then make a choice from there. Good luck with either choice you make!!

Hmm...good point...haha...guess I'm scared of failing...
  • petithamu
    Options
    Im on week 4, I have found it very challenging but have really enjoyed it so far!
    Im regular, 167lb 5ft9, I ran 30 mins a couple of times a week before doing this, i started as kind of a dare, but also out of curiosity.
    Recommendations:
    1- I wouldnt start it unless you can do at least 10 push ups and run for 15 mins- there is a lot of cardio
    2- if you cant keep up then take a break, the people on the DVD do!
    3- if you can do it with a buddy, i wouldve quit if it werent for the support of my workout buddy
    4-Eat a couple of hours beforehand- the first time i only left an hour after eating before doing a workout i felt so sick afterwards. There are a lot of high impact, jumping about type moves.

Changes i have noticed:
    The second fit test showed me that i have improved my ability to do all the excercises considerably.
    I dont get out of breath as quick.
    My core feels tighter
    I can jump higher/longer/faster
    I feel much stronger

I havent seen any noticable difference, but then it has been christmas and i have been eating and drinking like mad :-)

Thanks for this, especially the tips! I've bit the bullet and have just purchased the program. The first post was right, it's not like he's gonna jump out of the tv and smack me if I take a break...

Thanks again!
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    " guess I am scared of failing" and that is the answer to most of all the stuff that holds us back. I am just starting the C25K...had it on my phone for a month...looked at every week/daily workout and finally started it last week. I couldnt do even the first day on the treadmill until yesterday...but you know what? even the days that I couldnt do the complete session...I was better than the day before...better than I was a month ago...3 months ago...1 year ago. So if you start Insanity and have to rest while doing it...you ARE BETTER than the day before. Good luck and hope by finding the real answer helps you.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I tried it - gave it 2 solid weeks. It was hard and kicked my butt but it's do-able. Don't be scared, just don't try to do as much as fast as the people in the video - you'll die. Just do what YOU can do and watch your endurance improve. I was amazed at how fast my endurance improved and I was doing more and more everyday.

Ultimately it wasn't the kind of program I enjoy - more boot camp type stuff, very repetitive and music wears on ya after a while.
    But it will get you in shape if you stick with it and eat well.
  • turboturtlepower
    Options
    Already said, but the best advice given was about the food. I get up at 3am to exercise so I have no option to eat a few hours beforehand (and do my workouts before work) so it works out for me. I have ate about an hour before Insanity before though and ended up vomiting because it was just too soon. Lots of high intensity so you need your carbs, but definitely not too soon before a workout.

Also, don't get discouraged when you can't keep up with everyone. It's a very hard program and keeps challenging you no matter what your fitness level.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I done it and started around 285lbs...i'm 238 now...it works, however its by no means easy...I always believed the key is doing what you can and improving as time goes on to get the best results....pace yourself..challenge yourself and keep beating yourself...you got this
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Insanity, but I just started TapouT XT and have done P90X in the past. Like others have said--you alway have the option to modify or take a water break if you need one!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Just take breaks when you need to, even if it is avery 3 minutes. You'll be happy you did.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There is a lot more hype about it than what it actually is, the trainer actually gets you really pumped up. And he seems to make a connection with you because you can tell he wants to help people get into exercising. I liked Insanity, it's a lot cooler than that P90X crap, the P90X trainer seems a lot more fake.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Already said, but the best advice given was about the food. I get up at 3am to exercise so I have no option to eat a few hours beforehand (and do my workouts before work) so it works out for me.

Hey, someone else who gets up at ungodly hours! I have been waking up at 3 for several months now - not purposefully, but I am definitely awake. I, too, enjoy the ability it gives me to eat before I get in my Pilates. And doing them earlier in the morning starts out the day with a great sense of accomplishment.

Kind of off-topic, sorry OP! I just get excited when I see another early-bird like myself.
  • petithamu
    Options
    I think I am just kind of making excuses...but I have purchased the program and I hope to start when I receive them!

Thanks for all the posts, I really appreciate the support!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've completed it once and am on Week 2 of Month 2 and I still get scared thinking about doing it. You just have to turn it on and get after it. If you stick to it, you won't be sorry!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been on MFP since forever and my weight has gone up and down and up and down for as long as I can remember. I became a mom 10 months ago and I went from 138lb to 182lb! By the way...I'm only 5'1...so yeah, that's a lot...after the baby, I took a small break before started working out then with Jillian Michael's help, I went down to 145.2lb then I pulled a muscle in my back from running so I had to stop. Have been seeing a physio for 10 weeks and my back is much better so now I want to get back into it. Thankfully I only gained 2lbs since October so that wasn't 'too' bad.

I now want to start Insanity. I've been seeing, reading, hearing about it for so long but it looks so scary! I am so intimidated but excited by it all and I just don't know if I can do it! Do I have to be really really fit to tackle this? I have worked out sporadically in my life, I've seen personal trainers, I've run, I've done plyometrics so I am familiar with some of the moves I've seen but still so scared...

I've researched on MFP but most are about results and groups. I want to hear from 'regular' people's experience with Insanity and now just people who are already quite fit. I'd especially love to hear from mommies! Does it help with the saggy tummy??

Anyway...that is me...I'd love to hear some great stories to motivate me! Thank you!

I would suggest doing something else first. I started insanity on Nov 19th, and it's VERY intense. I did JM 30ds, ripped in 30, killer buns and thights, BFBM, NMTZ, ran a 5k and Supreme 90 all before doing insanity and I'm still not in perfect shape for it. Month two is the hardest thing i've done EVER. If you're not fit prior to doing insanity you'll get hurt
  • mrsjarvis11
    mrsjarvis11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was/am intimidated by the Insanity program too. But I've been wanting to do it so I said I'm going to. Just did the fit test yesterday and later today will be the first official workout. The fit test worked me so I know its going to be rough, but I am determined. I may not be able to do every second of every workout but I hope to work up to that.
    I too am not in the best physical shape but that is not going to stop me. Its all what you think you can do. And Sean T says he's going to ask you to "Dig Deeper!!"
  • petithamu
    Options
    Hi all,

I would suggest doing something else first. I started insanity on Nov 19th, and it's VERY intense. I did JM 30ds, ripped in 30, killer buns and thights, BFBM, NMTZ, ran a 5k and Supreme 90 all before doing insanity and I'm still not in perfect shape for it. Month two is the hardest thing i've done EVER. If you're not fit prior to doing insanity you'll get hurt

Apart from killer buns and thighs and Supreme 90, I've done the others you've mentioned. I wouldn't say I'm in a great shape but I'm not totally unfit either. I thought about going back to JM but I've done so many of her videos just getting a bit bored...thought maybe this one will get me excited about working out again. I definitely need to be careful about injury...ahhhhh!
  • petithamu
    Options
    I was/am intimidated by the Insanity program too. But I've been wanting to do it so I said I'm going to. Just did the fit test yesterday and later today will be the first official workout. The fit test worked me so I know its going to be rough, but I am determined. I may not be able to do every second of every workout but I hope to work up to that.
    I too am not in the best physical shape but that is not going to stop me. Its all what you think you can do. And Sean T says he's going to ask you to "Dig Deeper!!"

Good luck to you! I hope we both stick with it and get some great results!