Lean Cuisine for a quick meal?

Options
I eat a lot of lean cuisines for a quick meal at work mainly and I am not sure if this is a good choice. I work a lot of hours and also am in full time school so I do not have a lot of time to cook my meals. So far I am not really losing anything but I am not sure if that is from these low calorie meals or from my stress levels about my weight gain this past year. I am always logging my calories and am in the 1200 calorie zone but still am gaining.
I am 26 years old
height 5' 1 1/2"
Weight 165
Goal weight is 135

What can I do that will not break my bank account and lose weight?

Replies

• kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this topic, but personally I do eat lean cuisines on occasion, I will bring them for lunch instead of ordering out with the office, I do make sure to drink extra water as the sodium content can be high in them
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You have to balance your life and your weight loss; with your schedule, Lean Cuisines are not such a bad idea. However, the sodium content is really high. Maybe make sure you're getting enough water, make sure you're getting enough calories, and try adding in some more activtiy- even if it's just parking farther away and walking really fast to places and taking the stairs if that's all you have time for.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    Ditto...
    I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this topic, but personally I do eat lean cuisines on occasion, I will bring them for lunch instead of ordering out with the office, I do make sure to drink extra water as the sodium content can be high in them
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've just started using Lean Cuisne for lunch at work. I found three that I am trying that do't have any pasta, rice, potato or bread as I try to stick to a low carb diet plan and prefer to get my carbs from dairy and veggies. I don't find the sodium to be all that high. In fact much lower than some of the low sodium soups I was eating. You need to do what works for you.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yeah if I eat one, which is rare, it's because I'm really tired, and I have the sodium in my log to spare. cus it's so salty, aquatic life would have a hard time living in it.

Don't make it your soul consumption, however, nor more frequent then say every other week. It's not the worst, but it's not the best either.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine's are not the healthiest choice but I will admit that I'm guilty of grabbing them on the go too. As far as hindering weight loss, I don't agree with that. As long as you're staying in the calorie goal you should be losing.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I don't eat processed foods. They are full of salt and preservatives. Not good for you. Try making some good food that you can freeze to take to work.
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    I don't know the nutritional value of lean cuisines, but I do eat "healthy" frozen meals sometimes. I am also a college student and understand how tough it is to make time to cook every day. What I am going to do once school starts again next week is make a big stir fry on Sunday and portion it out for lunches for the week, putting it in tupperware and taking it along with me. When you do that you know exactly what you're putting into your body, and you won't have the added stress of wondering if you're eating healthily. Good luck!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

This is what I do as well. I eat them once or twice a week if they're on sale. They aren't very filling but I really do like the taste, especially the Smart Ones which is a different brand, but same idea. And yes, the sodium is high, but I drink a million waters during the day (I am always thirsty and my desk is right next to a water cooler) so I don't worry too much about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In my estimation, you're not eating enough, particularly if you're moving around a lot and active. Did a quick calc and your BMR is around 1,500. Eating below your BMR for too long carries with it a host of issues, including metabolic stall...i.e. your body is storing everything it possibly can because it thinks it is starving. You may want to consider upping your intake to around 1,500 and let your metabolism reset.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I actually eat a smart one or lean cuisine for one meal a day. For me..they taste great and I add vegetables to them and eat a salad too. For me..they are part of portion control for one meal helping me stay within my calorie goals. I will wait to see if I lose on this plan..but i can see why you are concerned if you're not losing... add a handful of frozen vegetables on top of the lean cuisine before you microwave it...also add as salad or chopped raw veggies to eat. I find whole foods really help me lose weight..so i'd never just eat a frozen meal and that's it. I'm also drinking a lot of water to offset sodium.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Yeah if I eat one, which is rare, it's because I'm really tired, and I have the sodium in my log to spare. cus it's so salty, aquatic life would have a hard time living in it.

Don't make it your soul consumption, however, nor more frequent then say every other week. It's not the worst, but it's not the best either.

Good advice here. You DEFINITELY should not allow a frozen dinner to consume your soul. Unless maybe you get a shiny fiddle made of gold in return.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them but found that I'm still HUNGRY after I eat one and I feel like I've eaten next to nothing. If time is my issue the fastest most satisfying meal I've found that I don't need to cook is a greek yogurt with a tablespoon of chopped nuts and a half a cup of kashi go lean all mixed together. Sometimes I'll mix some berries in it or eat some fruit on the side. Filling...and I don't need to cook it!
    Second on my list would be some fresh veggies with a low fat dip with either some triscuit or wasa crackers and a low fat cheese of some sort.
    Another low cost option would be to cook up a bunch of barilla plus pasta with some ground turkey and tomato sauce of your choice..portion it up and re-heat at work.
    And lastly...cook up some chicken breasts on the weekends and pair it with some of those steam in the bag veggies and a slice of whole grain bread. Your still just using the microwave and it doesnt take anymore time or cost anymore than a frozen dinner.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of lean cuisines for a quick meal at work mainly and I am not sure if this is a good choice. I work a lot of hours and also am in full time school so I do not have a lot of time to cook my meals. So far I am not really losing anything but I am not sure if that is from these low calorie meals or from my stress levels about my weight gain this past year. I am always logging my calories and am in the 1200 calorie zone but still am gaining.
    I am 26 years old
    height 5' 1 1/2"
    Weight 165
    Goal weight is 135

What can I do that will not break my bank account and lose weight?
    It is ok to eat them once in awhile, but I wouldn't eat them every single day - they have a TON of a sodium and aren't really good for you - but yes, they are a quick meal and better than going to McDonald's or eating fast food when you are on the run or short on time.
    I am 5'2", CW is 179, GW is 135.. but I'm 34 yr old. I'm eating around 1300 calories a day, no exercise. If you are gaining at your current calorie level you may actually be eating too low. Have you input your numbers into MFP? What does MFP say you should be eating to lose 1 lb per week?

I'd suggest cooking a big batch of 2 or 3 recipes on the weekend, or when you have a few hours, and then using that all week and freezing the rest. For example, make a big batch of chili, and freeze half, then eat that 2 or 3 times that week. Make a big casserole and freeze half, etc. This way, you don't have to cook every day, and you can have it all planned out for the week. Plus, you'll always have your own "frozen meal" available in a hurry. (freeze smaller portions).

P.S. - feel free to add me as a friend if you want, since we have the same goal weight and VERY similar stats. My diary is open to my friends, so maybe that will help you get some ideas.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I know the pain of working full time and school full time. It is TOUGH! For 3 years I ate every single meal away from home 4 days a week. Eat the Lean Cuisines! Add some veggies to pump them up a bit to make them more filling - or have a salad on the side. And drink lots of water to balance the sodium.

Personally my favorite are the Cafe Steamers - I can't remember the brand maybe Marie Calendar?

Eventually you'll graduate and can cut back on the prepared stuff.
  • Stacy_L_Meyer
    Stacy_L_Meyer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In my estimation, you're not eating enough, particularly if you're moving around a lot and active. Did a quick calc and your BMR is around 1,500. Eating below your BMR for too long carries with it a host of issues, including metabolic stall...i.e. your body is storing everything it possibly can because it thinks it is starving. You may want to consider upping your intake to around 1,500 and let your metabolism reset.

So I am to up my calorie intake to 1,500? I was always taught the fewer calories the more lost. How can my body think it is starving when I feel full after 1200 calories/day.... but then I did do 1,050 at first and up'd it to 1200 and now I cannot imagine eating that few. So I should up it?
  • Stacy_L_Meyer
    Stacy_L_Meyer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your comments! I will take this into consideration and do my best to use less lean cusines and try to do more prepared foods that I personally make.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is not enough food in them to call it a meal.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Good advice here. You DEFINITELY should not allow a frozen dinner to consume your soul. Unless maybe you get a shiny fiddle made of gold in return.

:laugh:
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You'll have two sides on this. Do what works for you, personally I've eaten Lean cuisine and other frozen meals due to my 3 little ones. I'm always busy so its hard to get all my meals from constantly slaving away in the kitchen. Anyhow I've lost most of my weight no matter and included veggies with plenty of water :)