Scales

Options
I can't believe how difficult it is to find a reliable scale! I've bought two now (and returned them both) due to their inconsistency. Both of them were digital so I thought they'd be better. Hardly. One minute I weighed 215, another I'd weigh 212.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Forrest

Replies

• KCPlanner
    Options
    I can't believe how difficult it is to find a reliable scale! I've bought two now (and returned them both) due to their inconsistency. Both of them were digital so I thought they'd be better. Hardly. One minute I weighed 215, another I'd weigh 212.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Forrest
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    was it on an even surface???
  • KCPlanner
    Options
    Yes....I placed them on a flat, hard surface (bathroom tile floor) and thet readings were inconsistent. I've heard that scales can be like that, but surely there are some that are accurate.
  • babiecuddles
    babiecuddles Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i have that same problem with mine:cry: its getting on my nerves, i plan on getting new but dont know if that will do any good. so im doing the best i can, i get on one time and thats what i go by.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Digital scales have to be "reset" each time you use them. Read the instructions that came with yours. Basically, use it on the same place on your floor each time. (I put mine on a particular spot in the kitchen.)

Step on it, and them step right back off. The scale should "cycle" through 0-0-0-0-0- and then stop on 00. When it stops on 00, step back on and stand as still as possible. You should get an accurate reading. Mine is a cheapo and it works great. It weighs me the same as the gym scale. But it DOES matter where on the floor I use it. If I move it near the refrigerator (where I know there is a crack under the linoleum) I will get a different reading at the same time. They do need to be level, and on a hard floor - not carpet.

~cm
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    cheryl,

many, many thanks for this info...I'm sure I read my scale instructions when I bought the thing...and then forgot this bit of info.

I was ready to throw it out the window, but I will give it another chance now. (Consumer Reports said it's a good one...)

:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    cheryl,

many, many thanks for this info...I'm sure I read my scale instructions when I bought the thing...and then forgot this bit of info.

I was ready to throw it out the window, but I will give it another chance now. (Consumer Reports said it's a good one...)

:flowerforyou:
    when did consumer reports review it? I could find it on their web site - and I'm a member
  • KCPlanner
    Options
    CM:

Thanks for the response....I tried everything....including keeping the scale in the exact same spot...and resetting it, etc......I bought it at CVS Pharmacy.....I hear that Tanita is the most accuate....that may be my next purchase....If not, my next stop is to one of my clients that's a veterinarian...he has very accurate scales! Just kidding.