Going out drinking? Whats the deal with that?

Options
Hi everyone, Im noomi. I just signed up to this site today, got the iphone app earlier in the week. I already feel better and more in control. But I'm looking to add people on here to share tips with and get support from. Everyone knows this shedding weight thing is not easy.

Does anyone know how to manage nights out with lots of booze? Im 24 and im in the habbit of getting very drunk on weekends. However, one glass of wine is like 500 cals right? So whats the best thing to do, eat nothing but fruit all day and then drink? surely not, that would make you ill in more ways than one i imagine! Try not to drink as much? Errrrrr..... can do that, but would rather not.

Drink vodka lime and soda? Bleugh!!!!
Eat a big heavy but low cal meal just before you go out? that sounds like the best idea to me. and then try and drink in moderation hereafter. But im interested to listen to some other theories. POST POST POST! xx

Replies

• lulu64uk
    lulu64uk Posts: 62
    Options
    If I have a night out planned I tend to save up calories during the week, so I can let my hair down on the night.......however my problem is not what to eat before its what I eat AFTER when all common sense goes out the window :drinker:

I know that doesnt really answer the question but welcome to the site
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi. I tend to cut calories back a bit on the day I am going out to allow for the alcohol calories, its not a great idea though because drinking on an empty stomach just makes you more drunk not less lol... I usually stick to vodka and diet coke when I am out, although a small glass of wine is not much more in calories. A friend of mine when dieting would have malibu and diet coke as she said it was only half a ww point where as vodka was a whole point. Not sure on calories in malibu though. Anyway, welcome to the site and nice to meet you :)
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    Yeah, its the next day thats hard to control. I always make a real effort to stick to my allowance the next day but if you're not mindful thats where the damage lays.
  • spooky_kid
    Options
    Cool wow, quick responses there! Cutting back on calories throughout the week is a fun plan, I can definatley try and do that.

I know what you mean about eating after i've drunk. I was doing so well the other day and then i got pissed and ate this massive falafel with all the fried auberjiene etc. With the booze included my calories were nearly 3000 after that. WFT?!?!

Thanks for the welcome, awww i feel so at home already. xx
  • lulu64uk
    lulu64uk Posts: 62
    Options
    And make sure your friends know NO TO let you go into the Kebab Shop lol
  • beebop85
    beebop85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    well a good tip i learned is def not to have any of the sweet shots you know like apple sourz or stiffys etc there just sugar! id have tequila or something now plus its stronger therefore ul drink less hehe. also make sure you have some food in the house for when you get in like say maybe a weight watchers pizza so u no ur still having pizza its just alot better for you! welcome to the site by the way xxxx
  • missmalibu
    Options
    All these are great tips, personally though I think as long as your week balances out - i.e. more good days than bad days, you're probably on to a winner. Everyone deserves a treat every now and then!

Having said that all the above tips are good and personally I always try to get the gym on the day of a booze up to at least balance the damage by banking some burned calories. You can do that through the week too. If your goal is to eat 1200 a day and you stick to that but also burn 250 calories 3 times a week that's 750 you're up for your night out.

I drink vodka and soda, without the lime! Sugary alcoholic drinks coat my teeth and make me sick. If you stop drinking them you'll quickly get used to sharper flavours, it's like cutting the sugar from your tea/coffee.

Hope that helps
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You may find the post below helpful, or at least informative.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62997-the-alcohol-question?hl=alcohol+question#posts-767714

Some days it feels like some sort of cruel joke, but knowledge is power and all that. Good luck!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    drink enough that you throw it all up :wink:

just kidding! :laugh:

Clear Rum & Diet Pepsi/Coke is pretty low calorie.. thats what I try and stick to.
  • profjan6
    profjan6 Posts: 333
    Options
    Mix whatever you drink with club soda. This way you aren't getting all sugar and calories. I agree with the eating after having drinks......it is hard to do!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    A couple of drinks is doable while trying to lose weight, but when you say you like to "get very drunk" I assume you mean a lot more than a couple. The thing is, this is all about establishing a healthy and balanced lifestyle of food and exercise and so excessive drinking really doesn't fit in, especially when you're doing it every weekend.

If you like mixed drinks you could switch to diet mixers (like rum and diet coke etc). A glass of wine isn't 500 calories, but it is still enough to throw off your plan. Eating light throughout the day, as you probably know, isn't a good idea when you're going to be drinking a lot, and saving calories throughout the week to make up for it may seem like a good plan but the thing is, you need those calories on those days. They aren't really transferrable. A few hundred calories from Monday moved to next Saturday isn't something your body is going to recall and say "oh ya! I got those a little late, but I still got them so I'm good!" Eating low caloric amounts during the week and then binging on alcohol on weekends more resembles crash dieting to your body and that's just not successful in the long term. The best way to manage a weekend out with friends is to simply cut back on your drinking by limiting yourself to say 2 or 3 low calorie drink options.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Once you are eating less it takes way less alcohol to get a good buzz. One time I saved up enough calories to have 2 glasses of wine out with my friends...I had one and had to stop because I was too tipsy and had to drive home in a few hours! If you're not used to eating less BE CAREFULL! If you drink as much as you are used to it could be way too much for you now! Alcohol poisening is not fun!