Can food/nutrition labels be wrong?

Options
From the supermarket 'Aldi', there is a product you can buy from the company 'Appleby's' and it is a Half Roasted Chicken in a Hot Peri Peri Sauce.

On the nutrition label is says it has something like:

830 Calories
100g protein
40g fat

I mean.... seriously?
Its half a friggin chicken, and a small chicken at that!
Unless the sauce is oil based which I dont think it is, there cant be 40g of fat.. and theres hardly any sauce anyway

Those numbers just seem crazy, even the 830 calories.. for what it is, on a plate.. Has to be wrong????

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Crazy for chicken to have that much fat. But I looked up a recipe for hot peri peri sauce and one of the main ingredients is oil.

peri peri sauce

ingredients

11-12 red chilies
    7-8 garlic flakes
    1 tsp red chili flakes or red chili powder (optional and if you want a more hotter sauce)
    3/4 cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves or parsley ( a combination of both greens can also be used)
    juice of 1 medium sized lemon
    1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
    sea salt or salt
  • calisunrise
    Options
    are you sure this is a real chicken?
  • LeeWorrall88
    Options
    Damn, thanks for the info there!
    And no I doubt its 100% chicken, it will be injected with water and stuff
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think they can. I had a can of organic great northern beans. It said the total servings in the can was 3.5 cups. Measuring it out, the can didn't even have 2 1/2 total cups. Not that it changed the nutritional value "per serving" but it does go to show that labels can be wrong.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think they can get in trouble if the posted calories, etc., are lower than the actual product, so some companies will round up to account for that. And maybe it was a runt chicken.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Re: the beans, are you sure the can didn't say there were 3.5 servings as opposed to 3.5 cups? If a serving is a half cup, and there are 3.5 servings, the total in the can should have been under 2 cups. The reason I ask is that 3.5 cups wouldn't fit in a standard can, and I think cans usually always have a volume for the serving, and then just a number of those servings within the container.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    yes: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/health/12calo.html?_r=0

In general, I don't trust the 'nutrition facts' on processed foods. Same with restaurant menus.

If I prepare it, I know what goes in it, and I can control the calories.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Re: the beans, are you sure the can didn't say there were 3.5 servings as opposed to 3.5 cups? If a serving is a half cup, and there are 3.5 servings, the total in the can should have been under 2 cups. The reason I ask is that 3.5 cups wouldn't fit in a standard can, and I think cans usually always have a volume for the serving, and then just a number of those servings within the container.

You beat me to it.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The FDA typically allows for a 20% margin of error on food labels. In tests performed on foods (to compare nutritional values to , the values on the labels) results typically show that the labels are lower than the actual calorie/fat counts.

I'd get away from that chicken.
  • LeeWorrall88
    Options
    Wont be eating that again for sure.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    From the supermarket 'Aldi', there is a product you can buy from the company 'Appleby's' and it is a Half Roasted Chicken in a Hot Peri Peri Sauce.

On the nutrition label is says it has something like:

830 Calories
    100g protein
    40g fat

I mean.... seriously?
    Its half a friggin chicken, and a small chicken at that!
    Unless the sauce is oil based which I dont think it is, there cant be 40g of fat.. and theres hardly any sauce anyway

Those numbers just seem crazy, even the 830 calories.. for what it is, on a plate.. Has to be wrong????

40g of fat really is not that much, raw whole chicken with skin is perhaps 15-17% fat. Going by the protein content that is two to four recommended servings of meat not one. Just because many Americans eat half a chicken in one sitting doesn't make it healthy.
  • LeeWorrall88
    Options
    I took most of the skin off, all of what I could see that is..

The amount of chicken I ate in the end was roughly to the amount I would have eaten from 2 chicken fillets....... So not alot to me at all.

How much fat you reckon this was then without the skin, assuming that fat on the nutrition label includes the skin