Jeff eats out..

Options
My boyfriend eats out everyday. He can afford to but his health has taken a turn in the opposite direction. I have lost 8 pounds since I started this app. I use to be 120 pounds and I would like to see myself in the 120's again this year. Jeff likes to eat at places like Taco Bell, Scone Cutter, Panda Express and more. I work with him 4 days a week and he happens to be my boss as well as my partner right now. So when he eats out, I dont really have a choice but to join him. I make 1/15 of what he makes so money is very tight for me right now. When we eat out, he buys my lunch so its easier for me than to bring food from home. He buys our groceries too and most of the time its not healthy. I am a poor college student trying to make good choices until I can buy more things for myself.
Any ideas on how to eat better when my parter loves fried crap?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Put on your big girl pants and have a talk with Jeff.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Partners should be supportive not just by saying they will help you but also engaging in your process. If he is buying all the food then he needs to know what you need to be eating and not only that he also needs to be aware of how his habits are affecting your progress and how it has made you feel. That way he can make positive purchases for you to eat rather than pushing you in the direction of eating bad because he eats bad.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Ya, Jeff needs a reality check. Its okay to eat out, but he needs to make wiser, healthier choices.
    Obviously, it is best to surround yourself with only motivating people and supportive people. Not sure where Jeff falls in this???
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Talk to him about it, frame it in terms of trying to make new years resolutions in terms of health and financial savings. You can also go grocery shopping with him, and encourage him to buy healthier things.

offer to make meals, similar to what he eats out. if he likes taco bell, you can make homemade tacos, quesdillas, enchiladas etc and throw in more veggies etc. look up some chinese recipes to make at home, switch brown rice for white rice. see if he'll try it for a month.

there are tons of places to get recipes from online.

marthastewart.com - has some tasty one pot meals,
    cookinglight.com
    epicurious.com - not always healthiest, but very tasty.
    pinterest,
    and food blogs
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Most women would not complain about that.

oh wait....WHAT?
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to go with him when he goes out to eat? How about just saying "I think I'm going to start bringing my lunches. It'll be less expensive, and I'm trying to improve my health right now."

As for the groceries, if he is buying them, why not just make a list of things you need or want? Or, try "Hey, why don't we go grocery shopping together. That could be fun!"

Relationships are about communication. If you don't talk to him honestly, how will he know that you are trying to eat better?
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    As for the first part (eating out with your boss/partner who buys your meal):

Since money is no object (and even if it isn't), eat lunch at a sit down restaurant and eat half and take the other half home. Choose restaurants that have healthy choices (all items dont need to be healthy, but as long as there are a few healthy choices, you'll be fine).

As for the 2nd part (boss/partner buying your groceries):

You are responsible for what you eat. If he's taking you out grocery shopping, select healthy food items for your cart. When he's walking along side you while grocery shopping, stay clear of the cookie, candy, dessert aisles and stay along the "fringe" aisles which are where the meat, eggs, dairy, fruits, and vegetables are.

If I were to take a girlfriend grocery shopping, I would never dictate the food she had to buy. I doubt he'll stop you from selecting healthy food items. If he does, then he's a control freak and you are better off without him as it will only get worse.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options

oh wait....WHAT?

Ha!!! I was thinking the same thing!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

oh wait....WHAT?

That is too funny.

But...um...yeah.

:laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

oh wait....WHAT?

That is too funny.

But...um...yeah.

:laugh:

Best answer...EPIC WIN!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    All resturants have healthier options including Taco Bell and Panda Express. Look up info for the places he usually buys from and keep a cheat sheet of 2-3 menu items for each or just pick one and tell him "the usual" when he asks you what you want. :drinker:
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Go with him to the grocery store and pack your lunch. Good choices at panda are non-fried dishes paired with steamed rice and no fried appetizers. Taco bell has fresco style tacos to cut down on fat.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    Talk to him about you wanting to eat healthier and see if you two can come to a compromise. Even though you want to eat healthier it doesn't mean that he has to. Yes he should be supportive but that doesn't mean just going along with what you say. As for lunch just explain to him you want to start eating haelthier lunches so you are going to bring your own. It would also save money. If you eat with him choose the healthiest option possible or spend some extra time working out. As for the groceries...if he is paying for them you need to tread lightly. Again talk to him about picking up some healthier foods for you or maybe you should try to buy your own food. I think it would be a horrible idea to just go with him to the store and start filling the buggy with whatever you want. I mean it is his money.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

oh wait....WHAT?

FTW :laugh:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself in a bind - portion control, My BF is extremely picky and often refuses to eat anywhere unless it is a heart attack on a plate. For the sake of peace, I am just very careful about halving whatever I order and drinking lots of water to fill up at these places.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A lot of places even have healither choices, just watch what you eat, know what you eat, and maybe try finding a way to maybe take your lunch instead. Your partner should respect your choices, boss or not.

(Its why I never get my honey where I make my money)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself in a bind - portion control, My BF is extremely picky and often refuses to eat anywhere unless it is a heart attack on a plate. For the sake of peace, I am just very careful about halving whatever I order and drinking lots of water to fill up at these places.

Also this. I do the same-- just eat half (and don't take the rest home), try to pick the healthiest thing on the menu, etc.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    All resturants have healthier options including Taco Bell and Panda Express. Look up info for the places he usually buys from and keep a cheat sheet of 2-3 menu items for each or just pick one and tell him "the usual" when he asks you what you want. :drinker:
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Worry about your food intake.
    Unless Jeff is holding you down to force feed, it's not Jeff's fault.
    Jeff is just being Jeff.
    You are in charge of what you order and eat - not Jeff. Talk to him without being nag about it.
    Good relationships are about good communication.
    Best of Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    <redacted comment about burning off calories>
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    Partners should be supportive not just by saying they will help you but also engaging in your process. If he is buying all the food then he needs to know what you need to be eating and not only that he also needs to be aware of how his habits are affecting your progress and how it has made you feel. That way he can make positive purchases for you to eat rather than pushing you in the direction of eating bad because he eats bad.

Lol!! My husband and I got a good laugh out this.