frozen foods?

Options
whats you opinions on frozen meals like lean cuisine and healthy choice? I don't have much time to make food and only have a microwave at work so im limited on what to eat. Are they truly healthy or is it all a lie! please opinions!!

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion it is a healthier choice than purchasing your food at a local fast food restaurant. But it still isn't the healthiest thing you can have for lunch. I am so much like you, I even forgot to bring food with me to work today because I was rushed to leave this morning.

You can make the foods that you are expecting to eat at work, having a lot of meal sized tupperware that is disposable is a great took to do that. Ziploc has a container with 3 compartments (1 large + 2 small) and that works well for making a sandwich and vegetable sides. Or you can do what I like to do and make pasta and put it in the large compartment (pasta being 1/3 cup + a tablespoon or two of sauce, some raw spinach and partially cooked zuchinni) and freeze the container, before leaving for work I put veggies in the other two compartments and bring it with me. Pop out the veggies at work and eat them as snacks then warm up the pasta in the microwave for lunch. I did this two winters ago and it was incredibly easy and you can make enough pasta to feed you all week in one evening, so it definitely saves you time.

Creativity will be the funnest part of figuring out what will work for you, but if you don't mind the extra's that the frozen premade dinners pack and they are large or filling enough to satisfy you till your next meal then it won't really be harmful.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Logging on mfp should give you a good idea of what "healthy" amounts of macros are. Next time you're shopping I would go to the frozen food section with this in mind and compare some labels. Go for the ones with less sodium and sugar. And calories of course.

It isn't the healthiest option but for some of us with limited time it is a better option than fast food or ramen. Although the healthiest ones tend to be more expensive in my experience.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion it is a healthier choice than purchasing your food at a local fast food restaurant. But it still isn't the healthiest thing you can have for lunch.

Ditto. The cheapest and healthiest route is to make your own food in large batches and freeze it into appropriate portion sizes. I keep some ready to eat homemade meals on hand for quick dinners or lunches when I only have time for a quick heat and eat. Soups work great for this- huge batches are easy to make and tend to skew lower calorie.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    They are not to filling sometimes do not taste good but in a pinch they work.
    I try to make extra food for dinner and then take the leftovers of freeze them some times will even make two dinners and freeze the extra so have some ready to go when I am running late (which is often)
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It's better than fast food but I'd stay away if I were you. Most of tehm are LOADED with sodium and/or sugar. Stay with foods that are as close to natural as possible.

I'm ALWAYS in a hurry and I manage to eat good. It can be done with proper planning. Since you have a microwave at work you can heat up leftovers from home, bring in oats (I eat a ton of those) buy some protein powder and mix shakes in a shaker cup (you can buy these anywhere cheap)...

just plan for it. You'll get it down.
  • minihearts
    Options
    I love Healthy choice! The best flavor is the grilled chicken marinara with parmesan.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    whats you opinions on frozen meals like lean cuisine and healthy choice? I don't have much time to make food and only have a microwave at work so im limited on what to eat. Are they truly healthy or is it all a lie! please opinions!!

Buy a slow cooker/ crockpot and make your own microwave meals. I can chuck a full meal together in under five minutes which will do me for days. Ready meals are made with cheap longlife ingredients and flavour is added with salt, sugar or sweeteners, not the most nutritious ingredients.
  • aparis33
    aparis33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Amy's Organics has a lower-sodium line of frozen meals and canned soups.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    There are generally labels on food packages. I recommend that you read them and make an informed decision