Need your help with a purchase. Thanks!

Options
Hi there. Happy New Year! Hope you had a nice holiday. I wanted to turn to you for some expert advice ;) I have the Polar FT40. I’ve had it for a few years, and it’s served me well and continues to serve me well. However, the wrist strap is starting too see some wear and tear and so I think this would be a good time for me to find a new watch for my fitness goals.

Firstly, I’d like a watch that will measure/record my calories burned by monitoring my heart rate activity. I’d like a watch that can be used across different types of exercises (from spinning, running, Zumba, weight training, etc.)

Secondly, I’d like a watch that will help me with my running goals. I’d like to know my pace, distance. Is there anything else I should be monitoring? I’m a newish runner.

Lastly, I’m not techy so I’d like the simplest watch possible that can do all this. I don’t care how it looks, and it’s doesn’t have to be the latest watch on the market. I just want a watch that will do the job.

Please share what you know. Websites/reviews suggestions are great but your firsthand experience is even better.

Thanks in advance! Let’s make 2013 great.

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it. Polar is a great brand. I don't think it will record your pace or distance but you can get a free app on your phone for that. That's what I do :)
  • SandyFeet1202
    SandyFeet1202 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 410. It's pricey and I balked when my husband bought it, but now I don't know what I would do without it. It comes with a heart rate monitor strap which comfortable, has a lot of features and is easy to learn. You can customize the display during your sessions--I have mine set to time elapsed, distance and calories burned. It'll flip between your display and heart rate during exercise, which I really like. What I love the most is using it with Garmin Connect. The watch syncs beautifully. I haven't experienced any problems. Once your exercise and you stop your session it will sync with Connect when you are within range of your computer. You will be able to label your activity. It shows your calorie burn, pace, distance, etc. You can create your own workouts. I was able to create the phases of C25K and it would beep when I needed to shift from walking to running--the beeping was loud enough that I could hear it over my music too. The most motivational thing within the Garmin Connect website for me is the calendar. It will plunk all of your activities on the calendar and I can easily see patterns of when I'm NOT exercising. It also gives the total time and distance for the week. I have found that to be motivating. While it doesn't sync with MFP, which would be so awesome if it did, you can easily enter in your calorie burn. I've created a "daily exercise" entry on MFP and just edit the calories I've burned.
  • mustdothis40
    mustdothis40 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin 210-I originally got it for running and now use it for weight lifting, classes, etc. easy to use and great interface on the computer.
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am torn between the Garmin 410 and the polar RCx3.

We have very similar requirements in the fitness department so I would think one of those would be the best bet.

Sandy's comments below really make me think the Garmin might be a better choice, but I really like the fitness test capabilities of the Polar.

I will be making my purchase this week and it seems like http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com has the best prices so far
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    I have a Garmin that does all that. I think it's the 405? I got it for the running features and I lost my chest strap so I don't use it for the other features. It's not too hard to use.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,075 Member
    Options
    To get all you want, you need a pricey model. I agree with the "get a free app" if you have a phone that is capable.

Polar will replace the strap....no idea how much it costs, but it would be the more inexpensive route.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump