Having a hard time staying away from the sweets

Options
Help?

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    are they in your house?

it all comes down to willpower... you either have it or you dont!

How badly do you want to lose fat?
  • netite
    netite Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Me, too. I am working on limiting sweet things to fruit and those fiber one or fiber plus bars. They have sugar in them, but I like the fiber, too. So I make that my sweet treat. I also allow myself a small amount of 85% cocoa dark chocolate to satisfy that chocolate craving, though the fiber bars help that, too. Cold turkey from all sugar for a day or two helps me to refocus. It is a struggle, but once I get a day or two away from sugar it becomes easier. I hope this helps. Just writing it down helps me, too.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    This picture helps me put things in perspective...

pound_of_fat.jpg

*It's the equivalent of a pound of fat.

Personally, I don't stay away from sweets completely, I just try to exercise portion control and make sure I have the calories budgeted. If I try to avoid them altogether, I'm more likely to spend time obsessing and then binge. I don't eat them very often, though -- I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten a sweet over the last couple months.

*EDIT
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    get them out of sight, out of the house and don't buy any.Sugar is an addiction. Replace thee sweets with healthy options, like a nice juicy plum. You can also eat quite a few 5 calories M&M LOL I keep it to a max of 10 M&M's (individuals). Drop them in some vanilla yogurt (freeze it for a great ice cream type treat!) The M&M's with peanuts are a healthier option, but more cals. Yoplait makes some really really delic flavored yogurts. The Boston Creme Pie is OUTSTANDING. The hardest part of getting past the sugar cravings is the beginning. I can't have a cheat day, if I laps even once, I have a very hard time with the cravings again, but once I get past a week or so I can say no to anything ;) (even cupcakes!) YOU CAN DO IT! :flowerforyou:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Heres something that will help. When you eat sugary foods like sweets, pretty much all of that sugar is being stored as fat!! You pancreas secretes Insulin to help balance out the blood sugar which spikes immensely when we eat those types of foods. That sugar is then most of the time stored as fat! Still want the sweets??
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    Its hard for me too... what I have been doing is having those 100 calorie packs of cookies as my snack only on the days I do cardio which I burn about 200 to 600 calories in. My hardest problem is getting under my calories for the day... I am always right there at the cusp which I know isnt bad but I know that is why I'm not losing weight very fast too.
  • LeslieNDH
    LeslieNDH Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ya, the sweets are in the house. But other people here eat them, so I can't get rid of them.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Ya, the sweets are in the house. But other people here eat them, so I can't get rid of them.

that sounds like a pretty weak *kitten* excuse to me
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Its hard for me too... what I have been doing is having those 100 calorie packs of cookies as my snack only on the days I do cardio which I burn about 200 to 600 calories in. My hardest problem is getting under my calories for the day... I am always right there at the cusp which I know isnt bad but I know that is why I'm not losing weight very fast too.

it's not all about calories... the sugar is your enemy regardless of weather or not you burn those 100 calories the fact still remains that you are putting something into your system which spikes your bloodsugar most likely triggering and insulin reaction.
  • LeslieNDH
    Options
    Haha, thanks for the support and ideas you guys
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Im serious, excuses like that keep us all overweight, ONLY YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR ENVIRONMENT. These people in your house who "also eat the sweets" can be asked to keep them in a hiding spot. I do it with my "skinny no matter what she eats" wife all the time. Trust me, if these people care about you and your goals then they will do whatever it takes to make it easier for you. First thing is asking, the next thing is willpower and no excuses.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options

If they are adults or older kids, ask them to store them outside of your view. If they are little kids... just don't buy it for them.

My work place is littered with sweets. I finally just challenged myself to see how many days straight I could avoid hitting the junk at work. I got pretty proud of myself passing by cake, donuts, candy, chips, etc. And eventually, I didn't crave it anymore. The best way to stay away from them is to stop eating them completely for a while. Then when you try another bite after your body adjusts to not eating them, you'll be wondering why you wanted them so badly in the first place.
  • bmarsh777
    bmarsh777 Posts: 15
    Options
    Ok so if you KNOW sugar is a weakness for you then do not keep it in the house. It would be like people in an alcoholic or drug addict's family keeping their drug or liquid of choice because "there are other people in the house that use it." If it is too hard for you to resist, then other family members can make the sacrifice to help you be healthier. After all they benefit from a healthier you as well. Instead try fruit. Strawberries are awesome right now and pineapples too. Also there is no sugar added natural applesauce in single serve cups. Add lots of cinnamon and it is a treat! I understand TOTALLY. There is not a bigger fan of sweets, especially chocolate, than me! But because I am choosing to love myself more than chocolate I can do without! Good Luck and do not let excuses get in your way of becoming who you want to be!
  • LeslieNDH
    Options
    Don't know what happened to the willpower, just found myself in a rut for the last few weeks. I still eat pretty good other than the sweets, and have been exercising more than before
  • MattySparky
    Options
    There you go, be honest and build on the positives. Remember, no excuses... its a big part of all of this.
  • LeslieNDH
    Options
    Good for you guys and your dedication to your goals. I like the idea of staying away from them entirely for a few days, I think that could work for me. Do you think the sugar in cereal, healthy ones, or the sugar in fruits count?
  • MattySparky
    Options
    heres a helpful tip... all sugar can and WILL trigger an insulin reaction. You can change this though, it's all about how quickly the sugar enters or is absorbed into your system. Because most sugars (even the ones in healthy foods such as fruit and veggies) are easily digested by our bodies they will spike the blood sugar. How do you stop this you ask?? Simple, you need to slow down how quickly these sugars are absorbed. Although you cannot control this completely you can help by eating those sugary foods with food that is more slowly metabolized. Foods like dark leafy greens, natural fiberous foods such as Psylium fiber or slow digesting proteins such as cottage cheese will really help this. The slower the sugar enters your bloodstream the less likely you are to have a sugar spike and therefor less likely to have an insulin reaction.

Example: Bananas... healthy, yet FULL OF SUGAR!! Yikes! By itself it's an insulin reaction waiting to happen. However Pair it with cottage cheese and some nuts and you not only have the perfect mix of Carbs, Healthy Fats and Protein, it will counter the sugar spike because it will now be digested more slowly...

Get it??
  • MattySparky
    Options
    another tip... look at the carb amounts in the nutrition info for foods... for every gram of carbs you should be looking for at least 25 - 30% of that amount as fiber.... if the food has 30 grams of carbs it should have about 8- 10 grams of fiber, otherwise pair it with a fiberous food to slow it down.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Allow yourself one treat a week? Sometimes knowing you're going to get a treat if you do the right things will help keep you motivated.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Allow yourself one treat a week? Sometimes knowing you're going to get a treat if you do the right things will help keep you motivated.

Sometimes doing this defeats the entire week for some people though haha, I happen to be one of em... grrrr.