Weight training for a beginner - HELP

Options
Basically I haven't got a clue where to start so any advice would be helpful.

I'm 5ft 7, 158 lbs (still want to lose another 18lbs), eating 1200 calories a day, I have a ripped disc in my back so I'm not supposed to put any strain on it...

Replies

• BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There is a book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess"!!
    But I'm not sure lifting with a hurt back is a good idea!! O_o Good luck with that.
  • Tylersfitness
    Options
    It is a different game for women as far as weightlifting goes. You should skip the weights and just use your body as your primary tool. Pushups, shoulder emphasis pushups, crunches, squats, sit ups, and lunges would get you toned easily if you did a set of each for say 20 repetitions, 3 sets of each 3 days a week.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Get the book referenced above.

Tylersfitness - I'm not sure what you are basing your statement off of, but you seem to be behind the times.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    As someone with 2 ruptured disc in her back I can say YES you can lift!!!!! BUT do not do it without the supervision of someone trained in sports medicine , you also need to clear it with your doctor.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    It is a different game for women as far as weightlifting goes. You should skip the weights and just use your body as your primary tool. Pushups, shoulder emphasis pushups, crunches, squats, sit ups, and lunges would get you toned easily if you did a set of each for say 20 repetitions, 3 sets of each 3 days a week.

This is a huge load of crap!!! Lift weight lift heavy! It is not a different game at all muscles do not know what gender you are. Please do not say this to another woman ever again. Look up strong lifts ask your doctor how heavy you can go and do it! You can also use your body weight but it will only take you so far.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I love New Rules of Lifting for Women. I dislocated my hip bone which in turn misaligned my spine. NROL has been wonderful to me and my body. Please ignore Tylersfitness.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Get the book referenced above.

Tylersfitness - I'm not sure what you are basing your statement off of, but you seem to be behind the times.

QFT
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    Definitely skip the weights because of the disc herniation, and ignore the gender issue Tyler seems to think matters. Do the exercises he detailed above though but skip the lunges, you really shouldn't be doing that with a bad disc. I would add pull-ups to the mix most definitely - great for the arms and safe for the back.

A note - where is the bad disc? If it is in your cervical or upper thoracic (neck and mid-back) you'll want to be very gentle with your pull-ups or perhaps skip them altogether.
  • Tylersfitness
    Options
    Lol wow, easy people. I was basing my statement off of common sense. I'm sure she's not trying to be a body builder, you don't need weights to get toned, what do you think the insanity program is about? It's using your body to tone your body. You guys are nuts.
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options

This is a huge load of crap!!! Lift weight lift heavy! It is not a different game at all muscles do not know what gender you are. Please do not say this to another woman ever again. Look up strong lifts ask your doctor how heavy you can go and do it! You can also use your body weight but it will only take you so far.

I'll second that... ask your Doc to spell out a weight max and work with what is suggested. Personally, my Doc has ordered me to lift no more than 10 lbs because of my back injury so I do mostly cardio, situps, pushups, dips, etc.
  • Tylersfitness
    Options
    You all are kind of attacking me lol... But I guess I didn't make myself very clear, I wasn't trying to be a chauvinist here and say women can't lift, my point is you can use your body and its weight in order to get tone. That's what I do... Geez.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You all are kind of attacking me lol... But I guess I didn't make myself very clear, I wasn't trying to be a chauvinist here and say women can't lift, my point is you can use your body and its weight in order to get tone. That's what I do... Geez.

This is the problem. If you go in with the "toned" mentality you will never achieve the body transformation goals you're looking for. I personally cannot stand the word "toned".

OP I also recommend that book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". It's good.
  • Tylersfitness
    Options
    Ya know what lol... You're all right, im a terrible person for offering her any advice, ill be sure to delete my account here in the next thirty minutes and never speak a word again on this website.
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options

^ It didn't sound like he was attacking women to me. Body weight exercises are great (especially for beginners) and then you can add more lifting. Whether you are using an external weight or your own body, you are still lifting "weight".

Some people can't do very many push-ups, but the ones who can are usually in great shape. Just a thought!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Or women can lift heavy weights, get strong and awesome and, oh yeah "toned".
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Ya know what lol... You're all right, im a terrible person for offering her any advice, ill be sure to delete my account here in the next thirty minutes and never speak a word again on this website.

Can I have your stuff?
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, minus the disc problem. Kinda lost on where to start, and google searches have brought up all kinds of advice, but which to take? I'm going to look up that book!
  • Tylersfitness
    Options
    Well go get awesome and toned, im glad you all are so empowered, i'll stick around and hear out the rest of the assault on me just for fun before I head out, I'm so utterly shocked at how seriously you all took my statement, shes been losing weight the last 3 weeks ive known her on here, her goals seemed to me to be to tone up and get fit, i gave her advice and you all attack me as if though I'm telling her shes a weakling who can't lift. Gym memberships and free weights cost money and not to mention time to get to, I was offering her simple advice that could save her time and money...
  • Tylersfitness
    Options
    Haha, got cocky when you got fit didn't you.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    lovecrystaljoy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    hey i am starting a challange if you like to join its for the month of january http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/834392-insanity-january-challange