How does everyone keep motivated?

Options
Hey everyone, just starting my weight loss journey and wondering how everyone keeps themselves motivated. I often find myself disheartened and just feel like giving up on the whole thing. I really want to just lose the weight this time. Anyone have suggestions for those days where you just feel like giving up?

Replies

• squirtgunsablzn
    Options
    just remember that the disappointment or difficulty you face working out and eating right is not as bad as the disappointment from having to look at yourself unhappy.
  • Haydenkarrie
    Options
    When I see a fast food place or go to one with friends I just think to myself, yes I want a burger but if I don't order it I can't have it! So order something small but filling like a coffee.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    40 is coming hard and fast. I have no choice I'm gonna be old so I might as well try to be a healthy old fart.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and see that I'm not where I want to be.

That's motivation enough to get my butt in the gym and lift.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i just walk by a mirror every now and then

does the trick
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself with people who will give you support and care about your weightloss journey. People who will talk to you when you feel lost, give you pointers or simply lend an ear when you need to talk about something fitness-related. I find my best supporters are people I met at the gym, friends also trying to be healthy, my mom, fitness instructors, MFP posters (Sometimes, lol). Even if it's just someone you'd add on Facebook or text, it still helps! They'll give you that extra push to go workout, give you fun ideas or inspire you with their own progress.

As for non-human motivation... Fitness magazines, Facebook groups that post inspiring quotes or photos, funny gym memes, etc.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    I like mini-rewards. Manicures, massages, new video games, etc.

And good ol' fashioned sibling rivalry works well too. I'm looking forward to being in better shape than my bro :D
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Being in a community of like minded people will keep you motivated. Places like MFP, people don't get tired of hearing your weight loss victories. They can also give you good advice for free. Losing weight isn't rocket science, but it does take some motivation. Find a exercise that you enjoy doing and stick with it. When you start seeing your own success, you will be motivated to try other things. The more you learn can keep you motivated. Your non-scale-victories such as being more fit, able to do things that you weren't able to do before you made the lifestyle change will keep you going. Add some positive people and you'll be on your way!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Tracking progress - pictures, measurements, how much you can lift, how long you can run - and then trying to constantly improve. It's like competing against yourself.

Also, reading these boards and reading other fitness related blogs and magazines helps me as well.

I have one friend who likes to go walking and running with me. I'd love to have a gym buddy but no luck yet. if you can find one, I think that helps a lot as well.

Good luck!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    After a while you'll find your groove and will be motivated by the weight coming off the scale each week :-)
  • NoExcusesJenn
    NoExcusesJenn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just remember:
    " NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!!!"
  • rachieray81
    Options
    I always remind myself that staying the way I was is harder than changing. Hating every mirror you pass, hating being in pictures, being tired and exhausted from being overweight, hating shopping....ALL of that is so much harder than making the change. And I just keep going! 20 more lbs and I'm done!:)
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If only there was one magic answer...............!! There is- remember that this is a journey- not a race. You will have good and bad days but giving up is not an option. Maybe for a day- but realize your health and wellness will continue to decline if you don't make changes. Not sure how old you are- but life will deal you a weight related blow that will force you to make a change. I had that happen a few years ago. My dad died at 63- from obesity related issues, so many problems. He was always on a plan to lose it- but he was not willing to make changes to do so. I found myself on the same path- 150 lbs overweight at the time of his death. I was 37, had been on blood pressure meds for about a year- and I was walking in his footsteps to an early grave. And my quality of life sucked. It has taken me over 2 years to lose- (and sometimes gain back and lose again) 75 lbs. I am still on the journey. But lifestyle changes take time. You didn't gain the weight overnight- you aren't going to lose it overnight either.

Being overweight is hard- not being able to wear clothes you like, do activities you want- thats hard. Some say exercise and eating right is hard- in the end- we just have to choose our hard- neither path is easy. I chose my hard- to get fit.

Nothing tastes as good as fit feels! :) Feel free to add me as a friend if you need one!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    A motivational secret of many people who are successful in all sorts of things is to visualize success. It has been tremendously helpful to me over the years too. In this case it isn't a weight or something vague like 'being fit,' but a 'mind's eye video' moment of what will happen when you are there. For example if you are running a marathon you visualize that glorious moment of breaking through the tape at the finish line and feel the body shaking roar of the crowd and how awesome you will feel. You need to find whatever works for you, and it will probably be something silly, personal, and likely embarrassingly corny so don't feel like you need to share the details with anyone. LOL. As long as it's not dependent on other people to come true, you're good.

Whenever you don't feel like doing whatever (like getting up to work out) just go to your video in your head, daydream, and bask in it, and it will make you want it enough to get up and go. If it doesn't move you, then try different 'success' scenarios and see what does. (You might find several, I usually do.)
  • jbright2011
    Options
    Just remember that we all have bad habits, the trick is to replace the bad ones with good habits, and reinforce the positive. Celebrate the victories and do not beat yourself up ecause of the negatives. I keep my water bottle with me at all times, so if I feel like eating, then I drink water instead. I also always have a pack of gum, so it gives me a sweet taste and I can chew something. Just remember celebrate the successes and forget the (failures) there are none.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    Just remember:
    " NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!!!"

Actually, being HEALTHY feels WAY better than being thin.

And, clearly, you've never had eggs benedict with Leoncini ham. That tastes way better than being thin. But not better than being healthy.
  • mjerke72
    Options
    I call a friend to meet me at the gym!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    music really helps in the moment. like this song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkY-sEkWc-I&list=FLMa9zf3DAwewWN3VxvtocFA
  • alicat084
    Options
    just remember that the disappointment or difficulty you face working out and eating right is not as bad as the disappointment from having to look at yourself unhappy.

So true. Love this.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I am a procrastinator. always always always. imaginary or real I need a deadline. x mins workout per week,
    x lbs lost for a challenge, or some other deadline. finding recipes that you love really helps. eating healthy should be fun and delicious! also entering a competition helps. any kind of race, even if you just compete against yourself.