Vegetarians/vegans: What do you usually eat for lunch?

Options
I have no creativity when it comes to lunch. Usually I treat it like a second breakfast and have oatmeal or yogurt. Any vegetarian or vegan lunch ideas?

Replies

• sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Roast sweet potato; pumpkin eggplant mushroom carrots with rosemary
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I eat salads a lot, baked potatoes. leftovers from the night before, etc. A lot of the vegan recipes that I use make more than I can eat, and I am the only one at my house that eats them, so there is almost always a good supply of leftovers to take for lunches. I will bake potatoes at home, and then take them to work to reheat for lunch with whatever toppings I want.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    eggs--hardboiled are great! crumble on a salad that contains edamame, lettuce, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, and olive oil dressing.

hummus and raw veggies with a side of nuts and string cheese

a salad with roasted tofu or a chopped up veggie burger

veggie burger on whole wheat bun with a side of baked fries

pb and j with a protein shake

baked potato topped with veggie chili

veggie chili with cheese and whole grain crackers

soup and a grilled cheese

yogurt parfait with fruit and nuts on top
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt plus fruit and nuts and either some edamame or an egg usually
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Greek yogurt plus fruit and nuts and either some edamame or an egg usually

sweet. I included all of those things in my post ;)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time I have a veggie burger and a salad, or a veggie burger in my salad (one I make is a taco-less taco salad with a cut up Morningstar Farms spicy black bean burger, or Grillers Prime, corn, black beans, avocado, lettuce, salsa and plain Greek yogurt). I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat a lot of vegetarian meals.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Soup or salad with half a sammwich.
  • lovetiffany
    lovetiffany Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I usually eat eggs for breakfast, or sometimes french Toast, pancakes, and waffles

For lunch usually Mac and cheese, a salad, a veggie sandwhich,

For dinner, spaghetti, eggplant parm., some of the hamburger helpers don't actually have meat products in them so they are good to go to (just make sure to check the box!) mashed potatoes, i dont veggie burgers but Boca burgers are good,...

You can eat almost anything non vegetarians do. They have brands like MorningStar, Boca, Quorn, and a few others that are all vegetarian substitutes for meat. I didn't know about all that till about 4 months into turning vegetarian actually. If i had know about them I would have went vegetarian so so so long ago.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm not veg. or vegan, but I've been loving veggie burgers and many other vegetarian recipes.
    My current fav. is a version of Alton Brown's split pea and brown rice veggie burger.
    I add my own seasonings to have more of a curry flavor.
    The split peas don't need to be mashed like lentils or beans.
    Just cook the rice and peas togethe, stir, and bake..
    no food processor needed :)
  • oDapho
    oDapho Posts: 50
    Options
    eggs--hardboiled are great! crumble on a salad that contains edamame, lettuce, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, and olive oil dressing.

hummus and raw veggies with a side of nuts and string cheese

a salad with roasted tofu or a chopped up veggie burger

veggie burger on whole wheat bun with a side of baked fries

pb and j with a protein shake

baked potato topped with veggie chili

veggie chili with cheese and whole grain crackers

soup and a grilled cheese

yogurt parfait with fruit and nuts on top

Those sound great, thanks!
  • oDapho
    oDapho Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks everyone, these are all really helpful:)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Today, I had half a grilled cheese with homemade tomato soup.
    I am new at this (it's day 2) .
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    thanks for this! i'm going to be attempting a more vegan-heavy diet after having my eyes opened to all the benefits. :)

(plus anyone notice how many vegans have bangin' bodies? :tongue: )
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Mainly leftovers, else
    Tinned soup
    Companion = seitan and vegetables plus 1/2 instant rice.
    Veg hot dogs with peas and corn ( i always have them in the freezer) and some couscous.
    Cous cous and frozen veg
    Baked beans, toast and hot dogs ( usually with cheese but trying to cut down on that.)
    Also in summer salad, i work by the. Minimm 5 ingredient rule so at least 5 of
    Beans (chickpeak, kidney). Sugar snap peas, corn, baby corn, cherry tomato, shrooms, roast courgette, roast eggplant, tofu, nuts, cucmber, carrot, celery.

( notice i hate lettuce in my salads )
  • mlkuper
    mlkuper Posts: 10
    Options
    I cut up baby potatoes, carrots (I slice thin the long way), onions and broccoli, put in a roasting pan, pour low sodium organic veggie stock in the pan and roast for about an hour. Then I have a quick lunch or dinner already made.

I also mash up chick peas in a food processor with a garlic clove, 1/4 red onion, sea salt and lemon juice and have with fat free pretzels.

My favorite: mash an avocado with cut-up tomatoe, 1/4 chopped onion and lemon juice and eat on toast. Yummy!

I am going vegan this year. Was vegetarian before for ten years. Have been on since Sunday. Vegans definitely have hot bodies!
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but pretty much the only fast restaurant near where I work is a Chipotle. I eat there for lunch a lot and eat a vegan meal.

White rice
    Fajita veggies
    mild, medium and corn salsa
    Guacamole
    lettuce

I don't like beans or brown rice but obviously those would be much healthier for me than the white rice. If your eating out, chipotle has a lot of vegan option. :)
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Fresh juice like kale, apple, beet, ginger & lemon or tofu scramble with soysage is pretty much my everyday, although today I had a veggie chorizo and mozzarella quesadilla with pickled jalepenos. It helps that I work in a restaurant with fantastic food though.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Bagels with cream cheese and veggies like tomatoes, cucumber, olives etc.

Salads with lettuce, celery, radishes, sugar snap peas, etc and a dollop of half-fat sour cream instead of dressing.. occasionally with cheese crumbled on top to add protein.

Breaded vegetable fingers are nice, often have those with salad

Quorn burgers/soya burgers in a bun with salad and rice

Tortilla wraps with salad and quorn chicken pieces OR lightly fried vegetables.. Also sometimes use the wraps to do mini-pizzas (just tomato puree on top with vegetables and grated cheese, under the grill/broiler for a few minutes)

And if I want a quick treat I go to Subway, and get a 6-inch veggie delight on wheat bread with cheddar cheese, chipotle southwest sauce and ALL the veggies (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, peppers, olives, pickles and jalapenos)!
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Cook a huge pot of soup and then freeze portions so you have a quick and easy lunch. I eat my soup with cornbread :). Recently I made a vegetarian pesto minestrone soup and it was amazing and only 210 calories per 1.7 cups! I am not vegetarian anymore, but I love many vegetarian recipes that I got addicted to when I was.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    lentil soup (homemade but obviously you can buy it)

whole wheat bagel topped with full fat greek yogurt and veggies (lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion)

trader joes steamed lentils

scrambled eggs on toast topped with steamed or roasted broccoli

whole wheat pita and hummus/ tzatziki sauce and veggies

salad! with lots of protein

homemade whole wheat veggie pizza (trader joes sells the crust...i may or may not do all my shopping there)