Lazy Girl Fitness

Options
Hi everyone!

I am stuggling with exercise ideas. I cannot run due to bad knees, but I hope that losing weight will help with the pain there. I have lost weight in the past, but always manage to stop and then gain it all back and them some. Currently, I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I have started the Body by Vi program which I have done in the past and lost a good amount of weight. However, I quit when my weight loss buddy quit because she complained the whole time about how awful they were. I didn't think they were awful until she did... I think I was just looking for an excuse to quit and used her as mine... but anyway, the 30 pounds I lost came back with 20 more....

We are no longer friends and do not talk because of the negative influence she had on my life. I have, for some reason, always gotten discouraged when others criticised my progress and used that as an excuse to quit. Right after I graduated college, I had been working out a lot and lost a little weight, and my brother saw I was in workout clothes. He asked why, I said I had been working out, and he said I hadn't been working out anything but my "table muscle." Meaning that all I did was eat.

I have somehow let this question about ways to exercise when you consider yourself lazy turn into a therapy session... wow. Anyway back to the original thought... What are some of your favorite ways to exercise that do not involve running? I get bored easily, so walking is okay, but hard to do without a friend.

23366738.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• terricakes
    terricakes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    wow that sounds similar to my situation. I can't run either due to knee probs and boobs being too big for comfort. I do love walking though but like you prefer to have a buddy and make a day of it walking somewhere beautiful. (i live in Scotland so plenty places to choose from) I have recently been given an MP3 player as a gift and have downloaded audiobooks to my computer. Apparently Stephen Fry lost stones doing this just walking around London, so i thought i would give it a try. In my case i plan to walk the streets of Glasgow lost in my latest audiobook. A suggestion that might work for you too. As i love reading and walking it sounded like a great way of combining two activities i enjoy and getting fit at the same time.
    Regards
    Terri
  • ksk925
    ksk925 Posts: 13
    Options
    I think when things get hard, I give up... I get discouraged easily, but I hope that with encouragement on MFP that I can finally make a lasting change.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Swimming is easy on the joints. I think biking would be okay too. Both can be fun.
  • ksk925
    ksk925 Posts: 13
    Options
    No pool or gym nearby and no bike :(
  • kkenny0146
    kkenny0146 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    CrossFit. It is amazing. I would get bored running, or just walk. Find a box that will work with you on your level, they can always sub. exercises for things you are unable to do. We have a woman currently working out in a boot. I look forward to every class. It has been great for me.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    With no gym or bike.. try doing workout videos at home. Honestly, it has to come within. How bad do you want? Just because you don't have a friend to walk with doesn't mean you can't walk by yourself. Also try Meetup.com - they have groups for walking, hiking, etc.. where you can meet people and exercise together.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    lift weights
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Same hear, bad knees.
    At the beggining of the year i couldn't get up a flight of stairs with being in pain( ibuprofen gel is your fried)

I started with just stretching calves, hamstrings and thighs several times a day, then going into very light excersize.
    Swimming is good as it is non weight baring, just don't over eat after.
    Also i started with a 200 m stroll at least once a day. I'm now up to 5 kms. ( ignore the " you need to be moving for 30 continous minuts" we need to be moving at all.)

Check out you tube for denise austin pilates hips and thighs, most of it is lying on your side( skip the bits on the knees if its too hard)
    Also try butt bible to strengthen the glutes, depending on the caus of your knee problems that. Ay help to stabilize.
    Look into getting stronger glutes, thighs and hamstrings.
    Also tiffany rothe has a killer core workout that is just standing up. It feels really easy, but is very effective.

Also try cycling, just make sure your knees point forwards and bike is adjusted correctly etc.

Also if your really want to " run" tey getting a trampette and work up to it slowly.
  • Irenedavis
    Options
    Hi, well I think this story will resonate with many people on this site. Certainly with me. Thanks for sharing. Think there is a lot to be said for that old communication model of "Who, Says What, To Whom, With What Effect"...sometimes the comments I received from others in the past regarding my weight issues has sent me into rebellion mode and the only person to suffer for it in the end of course, has been ME! Well its only me who cant run for the bus or who has to put up with the aches and pains too much weight brings and go into 50 shops trying to find a special occasion dress that doesn't make you look like a hippo! Face it, what you choose to put into you body (and when) is effectively down to you at the end of the day. No one holds you down and force-feeds you. And no one can really make you give up on your weight loss venture either except for YOU. This really is something that is within YOUR own control. So why not make your next weight loss venture just for one: YOU, on your own. Forget your mates, forget your critics, this is all about YOU and YOUR health. NOT what THEY think or want to do. Only you can help you! Aim to create your own healthy diet but eat only the foods YOU enjoy (real food not the junk) then aim to be on it for the rest of this year - by the time that day dawns you should have lost a fair bit o weight methinks and you will no longer be on a "diet" as this will just be normal eating for you by then. As for exercise, walking is a good one. Try a "walk with me" Leslie Sansone DVD (Amazon) - for a virtual friend to exercise with - you can walk a mile a day with her (or more), she chats away just like a mate and the walking session is over before you know it - she also includes some toning exercises that you don't realise you are doing as you walk too - so good news if you hate exercise: 15-20 mins and you're all done! No matter what the weather or the time, she's good to go when you are. Think about it, If you manage a mile a day, by the end of the year you could have walked as much as 365 miles...Not bad for a lazy girl!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Walking.

To be honest though unless you can improve your self esteem it's going to be a struggle. You have to love yourself no matter what you weigh it will always be a struggle.