Options
Touston99
Touston99 Posts: 1 Member
need soup recipes for cold weather!!

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Most soups I make are flavored in this order: Add an onion one hour before the end of cooking, add carrots and parsnips half an hour before the end, add parsley and dill 15 minutes before the end.

Chicken soup:
    Clean the chicken and put in a pot of water that you are heating up to a simmer (never a boil). Wait until all the scum comes to the surface, and skim it. Add the vegetables as written above.

Bean soup:
    I usually get a packaged bean soup mix and discard the spice packets. Follow directions. Add vegetables as above. You can also add chopped potatoes or pearl barley to bulk it up.
  • ItsGoodToHaveGoals
    ItsGoodToHaveGoals Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use whatever veggies are left in my fridge the night before I go grocery shopping. I toss them all in a pot & cover with chicken broth, simmer until done. You can add an handful of quinoa or brown rice too. Also any left over meats/beans you may have. If you like it spicy add a little crushed red pepper.
    Last Friday was a bag of steamer veggies, a bell pepper and some whole wheat pasta. I put the last of the roasted turkey in my husband's bowl and put the soup on top of it. He loved it. Since the contents of our fridge varies, the soup's never the same.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    For minerals and vitamins I take MISO soup base(paste) and add some Nori...(Only add "almost' boiled water and it's done!) then you can add noodles or veggies to it if you want and voilà!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This is my FAVORITE!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chipotle-Butternut-Squash-Soup

I make a triple batch when I make it. I use 8oz total of cream cheese instead of 9 and 7cups of butternut squash. Instead of the mexicorn I used frozen corn and added a red pepper which is basically all that mexicorn is. It came out to 122cals per cup.
  • bthewes2
    Options
    Here are a few soup recipes for you...All are tried and tested. Toscano..Vegetable...Tomato Basil...Chinese Corn Velvet Soup

http://www.billandalex.us/list2.php?search=Soups
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I've been doing progresso lite at work. 160-200 calories per can.... (2 servings) LOVE having time to make my own tho...
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Super easy tomato soup,

1 x can chopped tomatoes
    1 x can baked beans
    (I use smart price as well for both)
    Add any season if you wish.
    Bring to the boil, then simmer.
    Mix to a smooth consistency with blender.
    :drinker:
  • mottern3
    Options
    I am in love with this soup! I use JImmy Dean Hot sausage and it is amazing, but if you wanted to lower the cals even more you could use Turkey Sausage.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-sausage-soup/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=italian sausage soup&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page&scale=12&ismetric=0
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bean soup:
    I usually get a packaged bean soup mix and discard the spice packets. Follow directions. Add vegetables as above. You can also add chopped potatoes or pearl barley to bulk it up.
    [/quote]

Adding a couple of cooked, chopped turkey brauts can add some extra flavor and protein to a bean soup.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There were supposed to be quotes around the bean soup notes--that was someone else's great idea--just adding to it.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Baked potato soup from skinnytaste.com is pretty good.
  • lyoungblood01
    Options
    This is one of my favorites: http://www.girlcooksworld.com/2012/09/curried-roasted-cauliflower-soup.html

Extremely flavorful and satisfying.

I add a few broken up croutons on top when serving just to add a little crunch.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    If you Google the topic low fat soups, you will have more recipes than you can try in a month.
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Honey Carrot Coriander Soup
    1 medium onion chopped, put in pot with a little bit of butter
    Carrots (about double the quantity compared to the onions) chopped, add them in
    1-2 tablespoons of honey, into the pot
    500mls of vegetable stock into the pot
    Boil, then simmer for 30 mines
    Blend
    Pop some chopped coriander on the top for fanciness
    Eat
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Skinny Chicken Tortilla Soup (skinnytaste.com)

1# skinless, boneless chicken tenders
    14.5 oz. can canned peeled tomatoes, mashed
    10 oz. can enchilada sauce
    1 onion, chopped
    14.5 oz. can low sodium chicken broth
    3-4 C. water
    1 T cumin
    1 T chili powder
    10oz. frozen corn,
    1 can black beans, rinsed

Put all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Seal of approval from my boyfriend who hates "diet" food and loves Mexican! Look it up on Skinnytaste.com for nutritional info but it's pretty light.

Butternut Squash Soup - My FAVORITE right now
    4 servings
    1 1/2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 onion, sliced
    2 cloves garlic
    2 sprigs fresh thyme (I used dried and it was still delish!)
    1/2 butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
    4 cups chicken stock (I use the College Inn light and fat free)
    1/2 cube chicken bouillon (I didn't find this necessary)
    1 pinch ground cumin
    1 pinch ground allspice
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat; cook the onion, garlic, and thyme in the hot butter until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and chicken stock; bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Crumble the bouillon into the soup; season with cumin, allspice, salt, and pepper; remove from heat.

Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway. Hold the lid of the blender in place with a kitchen towel and carefully start the blender using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a serving bowl. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup in the pot.

There was no nutritional info on the website (I got it from allrecipes.com) so I entered it into MFP recipes and it says 457 cals for the whole pot, and 117 cals per serving.
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl's Buffalo Chicken Chili was one of the best soups I've ever made. And healthy too! The whole family loved it...esp. with the little bit of blue cheese sprinkled on at the end. Did not taste healthy at all but it is!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/weighin/show/2446
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    I usually make a rotisserie chicken in the crock-pot and turn it into 3 meals. Here is the recipe for all three meals

Crock-pot rotisserie chicken

1 whole chicken
    1/2 c fat free chicken broth
    1 tbsp paprika
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    2 bay leaves
    salt & pepper to taste
    Preheat oven broiler
    Combine dry ingredients and rub over chicken-
    Broil chicken for about 10 min or until skin is brown
    Transfer to crock-pot and add broth and bay leaves-cook for 7-8 hrs

Servings 8 serving size 1/8th of chicken-skin removed Calories 120 4.5g fat 0g carbs, 18g protein, 0g fiber
    3+ WW points

Chicken noodle soup-left over chicken from rotisserie
    4 cups cooked chicken-add more or less-depends on what you like
    1c celery
    1/4c carrots
    1/4c onion
    1/4c butter
    12 c water
    9 cubes chicken bouillion
    1/2tsp dried marjoram
    1/2tsp pepper
    1/2tsp celery salt
    1 bay leaf
    1 tbsp parsley
    8oz egg noodles-optional
    Saute celery and onion in bottom of a large stock pot
    Add chicken, carrots, water, bouillion cubes, marjoram, pepper, bay leaf, and parsley. Simmer 30 minutes or until veges are tender.

**I sometimes cheat and buy the prechopped celery, carrots, and onion to make it quicker.

**You can use prepared chicken broth also. Just make sure it is fat free**

Servings 10 calories 227 fat 8.1g, carbs 18.2g, protein 19.2g

After these two meals if I have more chicken left, I use it to make chicken salad for lunch. Just add mayo, celery, and pepper to taste. My family loves these meals and they are so simple.

ENJOY!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I usually make a rotisserie chicken in the crock-pot and turn it into 3 meals. Here is the recipe for all three meals

Crock-pot rotisserie chicken

1 whole chicken
    1/2 c fat free chicken broth
    1 tbsp paprika
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    2 bay leaves
    salt & pepper to taste
    Preheat oven broiler
    Combine dry ingredients and rub over chicken-
    Broil chicken for about 10 min or until skin is brown
    Transfer to crock-pot and add broth and bay leaves-cook for 7-8 hrs

Servings 8 serving size 1/8th of chicken-skin removed Calories 120 4.5g fat 0g carbs, 18g protein, 0g fiber
    3+ WW points

This is BRILLIANT.
  • raspberryblonde
    Options
    Hungry Girl's Buffalo Chicken Chili was one of the best soups I've ever made. And healthy too! The whole family loved it...esp. with the little bit of blue cheese sprinkled on at the end. Did not taste healthy at all but it is!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/weighin/show/2446

You're my new hero for bringing this to my attention, because I would eat just about anything buffalo chicken-flavored. Maybe even brownies. OK, maybe not brownies, but pretty much anything else.

To the Kroger!