When only one person in the house works out....

Options
Looking for advice for staying on track when only one person in the house is actively setting goals ( and working out, and trying to make a change) I do the majority of the meal planning and cooking which isn't the issue, it's that there is junk food in the house, and while I try and avoid it, the other sits down and eats it in front of me. Difficult to pass up the not-healthy stuff in the house 'just because it's there'

Any suggestions on how to combat this besides 'will power'. It was much easier to control food in the house living alone, but now with multiple people purchasing groceries, it's nearly impossible to keep the bad foods out of the house. Trying to passively plan healthy choices for both just seems like a waste of effort and time.

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Negotiate. Talk to your other about eating that away from you. If you were trying to quit smoking, they'd smoke outside, right?

As for you: fill up on good stuff so you're full when other wants chips and dip. Maybe one of the points of negotiation could be, 'save snacks for after dinner'.

I'm assuming you're talking about a partner who's invested in you in some way, & not a roommate, though.
  • innerbetty
    innerbetty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    While I really don't have any advise, I sympathize. My husband always talks about getting healthy but then proceeds to buy tortilla chips and nacho cheese dip. 'Will power' isn't really as simple as people might say it is. If it is then I'm a constant failure.

Personally I've found that being on here helps a lot. When he sits and snacks while watching TV, I pull out my laptop and come here. I've found that making some air popped popcorn helps to combat the munchie attacks or saving some calories from the day to allow for a little snack. 100 cal packs of goodies (doritos, cookies, popcorn, etc.) also help. Don't deprive yourself of the 'not healthy' stuff all together. You'll just set yourself up for cravings and overindulging when you do have them and make yourself crazy at that. Moderation is a good thing. Allow yourself a modest amount and put the rest away. Outta sight outta mind.

Not sure if any of that helps but it's my two cents on the situation.

I know how discouraging it can be to feel like you're the only one trying, (I stopped last year and am now kicking myself for it) but think of how good it'll be when you're healthy and happy. Maybe then they'll be more motivated to make a change and you can be there to help on the journey.
  • dave0628
    dave0628 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Going through the same thing myself! Wife and kids not happy about my new way of eating. I can't say I have been totally succesfull, but I have manged to get some of the worst trigger foods out of the house by hard negotiating and discreetly throwing things out!

One of the best ways is to volunteer to do the grocery shopping. Wife is sometimes not happy with what I bring home, but is happy to have one less thing to do.

Good Luck!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    While I really don't have any advise, I sympathize. My husband always talks about getting healthy but then proceeds to buy tortilla chips and nacho cheese dip. 'Will power' isn't really as simple as people might say it is. If it is then I'm a constant failure.

Personally I've found that being on here helps a lot. When he sits and snacks while watching TV, I pull out my laptop and come here. I've found that making some air popped popcorn helps to combat the munchie attacks or saving some calories from the day to allow for a little snack. 100 cal packs of goodies (doritos, cookies, popcorn, etc.) also help. Don't deprive yourself of the 'not healthy' stuff all together. You'll just set yourself up for cravings and overindulging when you do have them and make yourself crazy at that. Moderation is a good thing. Allow yourself a modest amount and put the rest away. Outta sight outta mind.

I know how discouraging it can be to feel like you're the only one trying, (I stopped last year and am now kicking myself for it) but think of how good it'll be when you're healthy and happy. Maybe then they'll be more motivated to make a change and you can be there to help on the journey.

This is great. Although, I LOVE tortilla chips and I buy one of those big jugs of Pace salsa. One or two servings a day does me right lol.

I keep a lot of quick snacks handy because I love snacking. Fruits and vegetables I buy pre washed and cut so I just grab some and eat it (though, to be cost effective you can cut and wash your own). I always have chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, the cans of flavored tuna like the sun dried tomato or lemon pepper, salad, pickles and so on. I really just go up and down the isles at the store and pick out things that are tasty and I can divide into single servings.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My husband is one of those people that is tall and thin with the metabolism everyone dreams of. I am the exact opposite. I have to watch what I eat and I feel bad asking him to eat differently to appease me so I :
    1) Buy him snacks and stuff that I don't like
    2) Keep busy when he's eating and I want to--computer, read, clean, whatever
    3) and this is humiliating to admit, but oh well. I ask him to hide the food that I like. Have issues with willpower at times so out of sight out of mind.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    Honestly willpower is about the only thing I have to have.. It is not fair to ask my fiance not to eat ten cupcakes b/c that is what he wants(he is 29 and one of those lucky ones that can eat whatever he wants... FOR NOW.. I like to remind him that his metabolism won't be the same as he gets older :P)... I HAVE to say no b/c I know that if I eat all that junk I will gain. I have cottage cheese and lots of fruits in my Fridge and eat them often.. that is good enough for me.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    @ValerieMomof2 .... We seem very similar.. I feel your pain.. My Fiance is 6'7, thin & and a human dumpster. I have to watch calories to the T if I want to lose weight.. sadd story!
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

This is great. Although, I LOVE tortilla chips and I buy one of those big jugs of Pace salsa. One or two servings a day does me right lol.

I keep a lot of quick snacks handy because I love snacking. Fruits and vegetables I buy pre washed and cut so I just grab some and eat it (though, to be cost effective you can cut and wash your own). I always have chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, the cans of flavored tuna like the sun dried tomato or lemon pepper, salad, pickles and so on. I really just go up and down the isles at the store and pick out things that are tasty and I can divide into single servings.
    My wife and I really like tortilla chips and there is frequently a large bag sitting around but what I learned is that 7 large chips is about 100 calories so I take 7 and break them into smaller pieces and have a 100 calorie snack.
  • dachtera
    dachtera Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nice to know I'm not the only one around with the problem. I do most of the shopping and try to incorporate salads and green stuff along with brown rices etc. I due tend to spent time doing things at night like finishing school, working on projects or whatever that doesn't involve sitting in front of the TV.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I purchase and unpack the groceries at my house. My heterosexual life partner and our roommate are both major junk food eaters. I buy them their junk, but I stash it where it's REALLY inconvenient for me to get to it (roommate's room, top shelf, man-cave-area).

and I keep fruit and veggies in convenient places. That way, if I want to snack, I grab the easier thing to snack on (carrots, pomegranate, oranges), and the chips, cookies, dip, and cakes are all out of sight/out of mind.

If they have the audacity to snack around me, I generally go find something else to do, or grab an orange or something for myself.

It works out pretty well. I rarely dip into the junk food, despite the fact that there's a TON of it around. It's barely even will-power:

I just use my own laziness against me.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use the "health" approach with my family. It was a very slow go many moons ago when I was first introduced it, but now even my 15 year old son will lecture his friends on the dangers of McDonalds and crap food. No one is perfect, we all slip up here from time to time, but educating them seemed to be what worked for my family. Other than that, willpower will be your only tool Just knowing what you want and don't want to fuel your body with should be sufficient enough for you to be strong. Its the same as when you go out to eat with friends....while either option is "acceptable", you can either order a healthier meal or if your company is eating garbage, eat what they are eating. Resisting the ugly temptations eventually becomes its own reward and your body will thank you for it. Leading by example will hopefully help your family make better decision as well!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have different schedules and different preferences about what works for us, so I've had to incorporate a few tricks to stay on track and still be in sync with him to some degree when we're together. My recommendation is to save some calories for those snacks you really want, then just control the portions. I know that I'm going to want cake and ice cream with my husband after dinner, so I plan for it by eating fewer calories during the day. Typically, I'll log it early in the day, so it's already incorporated into my daily food. Then when I'm tempted with things at work, it's easier to resist because I know I'd rather have dessert later, or I can make the decision to have something else and skip dessert or have a smaller portion. Another idea is to have an alternate "go-to" snack. If I really want an evening snack, I'll go for a snack sized bag of my favorite chips or butter flavored popcorn at about 150 calories for the whole bag, but I usually only eat about 2/3 of it before I feel full, so I'm able to satisfy without blowing my goals.

As for working out, I'm better off going straight from bed to the workout room before I get distracted, but my husband likes to have his coffee and lounge for a while first. So, I'll either workout while he's still sleeping, then do something else around the house while he works out, or if we plan to workout together, I just put on my workout clothes as soon as I get up, so I'm reminded that it's the next thing on my agenda.

Best of luck! It can be done...when temptations arise, ask "is it worth it?" "can I afford it?" "would I rather skip something else or workout more in order to accommodate?" The answers to these will help you make good choices without feeling deprived or depending solely on "willpower."
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot to resist, but every time you are about to eat some of the stuff that doesn't go towards your goal, remind yourself of what you are trying to achieve. One thing that helped me was looking at pictures of myself before I lost any weight and I pop those images into my mind when I'm tempted to eat something "bad" and it helps with my resistance. Thinking of how I regained a lot of the weight before starting MFP also helps when I need to invoke resistance to such foods.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me:

I respectfully request that no junk food (especially cookies) be left out on the counter where I can see them. I am very weak when I get home from work late at night, and when I first get up in the morning. If there is junk in sight, I will eat it.

I plan healthy and tasty snacks for myself to eat when the others are eating their junk. It has to be something I really like, or this doesn't work.

I offer to make a healthy snack for everyone -- air popped popcorn, and everyone adds their own butter to taste.

I encourage others to eat healthy as much as possible. I am home for dinner and home in the evenings only 4 nights a week, so I try to find something healthy that makes everyone happy on those nights. They tend to eat junk for dinner and snacks on the evenings I'm at work.

When I'm in slow weight loss mode or maintenance mode, I allow myself a cheat/treat on the weekends, so I don't feel too deprived. There's been way too much cheating and treating over the holidays, so I'm going cold turkey for a while now.

And... last case scenario... sheer guts and willpower. The more I say "no," the easier it is to say "no." The better my results, the easier it is to resist what others are doing. It's hard, but can be done.

Good luck!
  • lesleyblock3
    Options
    I would say incentive program. If they all jump on board then in six months small family trip or new electronic for house or something.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Is it an option to get up and go for a walk or something while your partner munches junk?

I had to tell my husband again today that food isn't an acceptable reward or showing of affection. It's rough trying to eat better when your partner is bringing home things specifically for you because they think you'll love it and you've got to explain - again - that it isn't allowed in your calorie count, carbs, whatever. =\
  • innerbetty
    innerbetty Posts: 59 Member
    Options

My wife and I really like tortilla chips and there is frequently a large bag sitting around but what I learned is that 7 large chips is about 100 calories so I take 7 and break them into smaller pieces and have a 100 calorie snack.

I am hugely addicted to salt, so it's tough to stop once I've started. I may have to give the breaking them into smaller pieces thing. I once was addicted to salsa on everything too but slowly other condiments came creeping back in lol.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have not put my lifestyle change on the rest of my family, this is my thing, I have stopped buying snacks for the kids, but nanna still does, and I just keep busy while they munch
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Will power eventually turns into habits.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    It sucks. Find this magic will power or go insane letting it eat you up.

Also I hate cedar cheese snacks, so I'll buy her cheddar cheese related snacks. My suggestion would be to develop an aversion to cheddar cheese as well.