water ounces half your weight?

Options
I heard from a friend who is a trainer that you should drink half your weight in ounces of water per day. That seems awfully high. Any thoughts?

Replies

• logansmom6106
    logansmom6106 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same amount but it does not seem that bad when i am 174lbs so i should drink 87 oz thats not that bad.:drinker:
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    if thats true, im right on target...im 141 and i drink 80 ounces of water a day plus more if i feel like it...
  • lifeaccordingtolily
    Options
    It's half an oz per pound of body weight. It really isn't sooo bad..... yeah you pee alot.....lol........ but i feel more energetic i can go longer with my workouts i sleep better and i just FEEL better! The other thing my trainer taught me was if you are thristy then you are already dehydrated! wow! ........ya know the double big glup is 64 oz at 7 eleven ........fill that up with water and drink it all day! Good Luck
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • livingnlove
    Options
    Thanks for the confirmation. I guess I need to fill my water bottle 4 times a day then.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Yep - half my weight would be 75 oz.... I usually have no problem drinking that much. It's just a habit now! :drinker:
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

I drink water with my meals, and I keep it handy throughout the day to sip on. I drink to re-hydrate after working out as well. But I don't go out of my way to drink 64 oz or half my weight in oz. We get a lot of water from our food as well, don't forget.
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!! I have to drink 125 oz of water a DAY!!!??? I have trouble getting down the 8...lol. That is 15 glasses. Now I know for someone who isn't way over weight this might ring true but really? I'll be in the bathroom constantly!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    What I'll chime in and say is, be very very careful in thinking one way works for everyone's body.

My experience on water drinking and yes this is merely my experience but now that it's happened to me, I absolutely believe it to be true! I had my blood tested for several reasons, just to see where my levels were on typical things. One thing that came back was 'very very low sodium levels'. Now we think WOW, awesome, great not eating to much sodium, but it's not that at all. It means I was overdrinking water, it's flushed out far more natural sodium from my body than it needed too for it to be healthy. My doctor let me know how serious this is, our kidneys try and hang onto some sodium because our bodies need it to survive when you flush it out with far to much water, it can seriously effect our health.

Not talking chips here but the good sodium that keeps our body functioning properly. I had a kidney test result back and the result was, CHILL OUT ON WATER DRINKING. lol It's not been good for my body in such huge amounts. WOW, I never would of thought you could drink to much water.

Yup I used to see folks tossing out links to how it can be bad for you to over drink it. But I really really believed it could only do good things and blocked my mind to any other suggestions. What a closed mind I had in regards to water and what a mistake I made!

I've very very cautious in tossing out advice now on how much each of us needs to drink daily. I was very overweight and drinking over 1/2 my body weight in oz. I felt great, my skin was glowing, I had so much energy and on and on I could go. But then it all caught up with me.....

Hm, have to say when I first started out here I was shouting that out left and right, thinking I was giving out correct info. It seemed to be working well for me, I lost a ton of weight and for whatever reason my body adjusted well and I didn't have to pee all the time like it sounds like so many others do. I thought things were going well, little did I know I was taking far to much in.

Ok, that's my experience in a nutshell. I learned many lessons from this, I don't toss out advice like I used to on what works for me as it might not be ok for your body. Or if I do share I now make sure others know this has been only my experience.

For all those sharing 'yes you can drink to much water' links, I wish I had listened and been far more open to the ideas. There's so much out there on the internet it can be most confusing, best to check with a qualified doctor when you go in for a checkup. If they tell you there's no such things as drinking to much water, might be time to check out other Docs. :ohwell:

Sorry on the length and do hope this makes sense, it's late and my brain is not functioning as quickly as my daytime brain does!:blushing:

I do hope someone can learn from my experience before you have to actually go through my experience.:drinker: (all things in Moderation, yes even water)