Scared?

Options
This is ridiculous but I think I'm kind of scared of the changes that are taking place. I've been stuck in this status quo for 3 years where I just assumed that because of my medication I wouldn't be able to lose the weight so I didn't bother trying. I figured I would never look like I did when I got out of bootcamp.

But now I've lost 8 pounds and slowly people are starting to comment that I'm looking better, skinny, my face looks thinner etc. I'm not close to my goal but I'm kind of scared to get there.

My therapist asked me to describe the other side of depression and I couldn't. With this, I can't describe what being healthy and fit looks like. I just know that it is starting to come with comments and it is a strange world I am entering. Even from my husband who hasn't really said anything about how I look in a long time.

Crazy.

Replies

• mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    It is scary when you start to see changes. I could never picture myself slimmer and healthier and even now considerably lighter I have trouble seeing myself any slimmer - I dont think thats essential to success but the fact that you feed so positively off the comments is. Well done and good luck!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was afraid it would stop! I had assumed I could not lose weight because of my age, health, early menapause, neck injury, medications..........oh the list went on.

When I finally cracked down and DID it it scared the crap out of me that I would stop..........that the weight would stop coming off.

I am here to say it came off and stayed off for over a year now. I have fallen by the wayside on the exercise train, but I am getting back on because I feel the best when I am fit!

Good luck!!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Go Jeanie! Every goal met is a blessing,every breath taken is a blessing.

jcm214 I will pray for you. You are such a lovely young lady. I couldn't even imagine being afraid of success or happiness.

:heart: Alice
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options

jcm214 I will pray for you. You are such a lovely young lady. I couldn't even imagine being afraid of success or happiness.

Thank you. It is something I'm learning to overcome but it is a long process. Working on my depression is definitely one of the hardest things I have ever done but it is something that I know I need to do.
  • specialsong77
    specialsong77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Thank you. It is something I'm learning to overcome but it is a long process. Working on my depression is definitely one of the hardest things I have ever done but it is something that I know I need to do.

Perhaps you feel strangely because when our outward appearances change people notice and when they say something we may interpret it as a judgement... whether it's a nice comment or a bad comment I still get anxiety at times when people make comments...
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options

Perhaps you feel strangely because when our outward appearances change people notice and when they say something we may interpret it as a judgement... whether it's a nice comment or a bad comment I still get anxiety at times when people make comments...

That is probably a very good point. I've been very comfortable hiding in my office and not really being noticed.
  • specialsong77
    specialsong77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

That is probably a very good point. I've been very comfortable hiding in my office and not really being noticed.
    [/quote]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can relate. I wish I could just appear one way to people all the time. Heavy or thin. I wish our insides could always be reflected on the outside so people wouldn't notice/judge/comment on physical changes. I'd always just be "me" ya know? It's weird.

I am a vocalist and sing often in public and I notice people kind of look at me funny or ignore me at 1st because (I think it's because) I am a bigger lady. But when I sing they start to pay attention and realize there is more to me than my appearance.

Perhaps it's all perception of ourselves that we need to tweak. ;)
  • ol0rk
    ol0rk Posts: 1
    Options
    its easy to blame your weight for a lot of your problems, or use it as an excuse, and when its gone, you'll have just you. I am afraid of being written off because of my lack of intelligence or personality, not just an abundance of weight. Also afraid I don't have the 'umph' to keep it off. I dont want to count calories my whole life, but I dont want to feel uncomfortable either.

Here's to learning how to be confident!