Pumpkin Seed and Dried Cherry Trail Mix

Options
rinren84
rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
Was watching Food Network today and saw this on 5 Ingredient Fix. I've been looking for something like this. Not the lowest calorie food, but since snacking on it this afternoon, wasn't even hungry for dinner. Definitely good afternoon fuel when the stomach starts growling. Anyway, I made this today and it's delicious. I probably used 2/3 of the maple syrup it calls for and it is plenty sweet for me. Also, had to bake a little longer because I made a double batch and it wasn't spread thin enough. When it seems crunchy, it's done.

Ingredients

* 2 cups baby pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
* 1 cup slivered almonds
* 3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
* 6 tablespoons pure Grade B maple syrup (I used grade A cheap Schnuck's brand and it was still good)
* Coarse salt
* 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.

In a large bowl, toss the pumpkin seeds, almonds, and sunflower seeds and the syrup until evenly coated. Spread the nuts and seeds out, in an even single layer, on the lined baking sheets and season with salt to taste. Bake the nuts, stirring several times with spatula or wooden spoon, until just golden, about 20 minutes.

Cool the nuts completely on the pan, then add the cherries and toss to combine. Store cooled trail mix in an airtight container at room temperature.

Replies

• jenwillbthin
    Options
    that sounds scrumptious
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound stupid, but how do you eat pumpkin seeds? Do you eat the outside, or shell them like sunflower seeds?
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound stupid, but how do you eat pumpkin seeds? Do you eat the outside, or shell them like sunflower seeds?

Sorry I should have mentioned these are shelled pumpkin seeds. You can buy them like that, most of the time they are called pepitas when they are shelled. Also use shelled sunflower seeds. And if you cant find pumpkin seeds any other kind of nut or seed would be good too!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, thanks :)

I do find it very hard to find dried cranberries that aren't sweetened, anyone have any ideas to toss my way on locating some? A certain brand name I should be looking for etc?:smile:

Much appreciated:flowerforyou:

Becca:heart:

Oh, here's a recipe calculator to figure out the recipe up above:drinker:

Food Calculator
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

When you eat pumpkin seeds with the shell, you eat the whole thing, shell and all. One of my favorite snacks since I was a kid.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Do you already have the nutritional value for a serving size (which is???)? If not, I know where I can go to calculate it.