I've lost interest in food

Options
I'm supposed to eat 1200 a day and in the almost four weeks I've been on here I've not been able to reach that. I try to make my meals interesting, but I was a bread, chocolate, butter kind of person and, of course, that's out now. I'm fine with that because I'm so determined to see this through, however, I have no interest in eating any more. This will, of course, sabotage my weight loss. For example, it's almost 10:00 at night and I was at 455 so I grabbed two Kashi TLC bars to get me close to 700. But I really don't want to eat them.

The good news is that I also don't want the junk food I mentioned above. I just don't care to eat. I could use suggestions for getting past this.

Thanks!!

Replies

• dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    Why are bread, chocolate and butter out of the question? I eat all of them. I suppose if that were all you ate, it might be a problem, but there's no reason they should be off limits.

I think it's very important to find joy in the food we eat. Sometimes that's easier if you really enjoy cooking the food. Maybe a new cookbook or a cooking class will help you reconnect with your food so you can enjoy it again. Even just giving a new ingredient a try might help.
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    Bread, chocolate & butter should all be part of your diet, in moderation. Otherwise you'll find yourself craving them & could overindulge. Look at what you used to eat & see what adjustments can be made the the foods you loved then to make them the foods you will love now.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I agree with dclarsh - nothing's "off limits". You just can't eat a whole loaf of bread, stick of butter, and 5 chocolate bars every day and lose weight (or be anything resembling healthy...:sick: ) I think for those of us who have dealt with serious weight issues (more than 10-15 pounds) we lose touch with our bodies and don't recognize signals of hunger OR fullness. We've taught ourselves to listen to our tastebuds, our emotions, our environment, and everything else in the world EXCEPT our tummies to figure out if/what we should eat. When we get to this point, we need an outside standard to determine how much fuel we put into our bodies until we learn to feel it. So, if MFP says eat, eat. Put fruits and veggies in every meal. You can dip strawberries in *chocolate*. :bigsmile: Put a little *butter* on your corn and broccoli and green beans. Have a sandwich with a natural whole wheat *bread* with lean meat and lettuce and tomato. If you need calories go for nutrient-dense calories like peanut butter, avocado, put Extra Virgin Olive Oil on your salads, natural cheeses, protein shakes if nothing else. Don't starve yourself. Make healthy choices. EAT! lol :flowerforyou:

Ps. How about making your food diary public so we can make more specific suggestions?
  • DHERNAN81
    Options
    I agree, you can eat what you want in moderation, if anything this is suppose to make you more aware of the amount you choose to eat. Also, add a little walking here and there for 30 mins and you can increase you 1200 calorie diet to about 1400, which gives you more room to enjoy the things you like. For example I love chocolate and instead of eating a whole chocolate bar, I eat a 100 calorie bar or m&m mini's, just one package, no more than that and I'm still happy, because it's better to have a taste then nothing at all. I know that I no longer crave the eating out, like Macaroni Grill or Papa John's pizza, because of the sodium, fat and calories associated with eating it. Hope this helps.....:happy:
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts. You should be able to have some of the foods you enjoy. I would encourage you to explore other foods and try a variety of new things. A new recipe once a week can be a big motivator. I don't eat sugar or simple carbs on the program I follow but I have discovered a lot of different foods I love. This only happened because I was willing to look for new foods within my program guidelines. For me, if I feel deprived I become sad and depressed and give up so I hope you find some yummy foods you enjoy or even some of your favorites in moderation. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Amanda_Bridges90
    Amanda_Bridges90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was like that when I started, well it worked for about a week, but then my body started going into "starvation mode" && I started GAINING, so I had to up my calories to 1200 && I started losing! Your body NEEDS energy to go. I snack on things like baked doritos and all kinds of fat free stuff (there are TONS at the grocery store) Even if you have to MAKE yourself eat, I would. It's critical that your body gets enough calories. You don't want your body to go into "starvation mode" b/c it'll start storing fat && that makes you gain. Hoping the best for you :)
  • badgirllaughing
    badgirllaughing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well I do and don't agree with the above statements. Yes, you do have to cut them out of your lifestyle but they can be replaced with healthy alternatives that are similar. For example you can have dark chocolate and add them to something you can eat like bran muffins, keeping in mind portion control. Just try to eat healthier and the weight will come off and stay within portions and it will. I actually started eating healthy about four years ago and have dealt with two car accidents within that time frame. Gaining weight and not being able to work out. I cut out all white pasta, white bread, rice, all processed foods. I have lost almost 65 lbs so far in that four year time frame even with the gaining and losing again.. still down 65 lbs.. so it does work. But also learn to listen to your body. I don't beat myself up because I am craving something. I give in and have just a little and then try to work it off if I have gone over.. so you may have to work out just a little harder that day to get it off. Just remember you have a whole life to get it right.. enjoy your journey and good luck!
  • rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Options
    Honestly, I sometimes wish I could lose a part of my appetite, but I know that's not healthy. My boyfriend's a chef, so food is a big thing in our house. The reason we eat a lot of food is not only because of its taste, but also because of the way it looks and smells. People eat with their eyes and noses for the most part. I think the cooking class is a great idea. You could try creating meals that appeal to your eyes and nose as well as to your tastebuds. Dark chocolate is really good for you, so maybe try eating more of it and less milk chocolate, that way you'll still be eating lots of chocolate but it'll be better for you! Have whole grain or rye bread instead of white, and switch to becel margarine with 50% less calories. You can still have the things you enjoy, you just might have to find your way around them with healthy alternatives such as these. Good luck!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Being too strict on your diet can cause this. Eating isn't enjoyable so you don't really wanna do it. I suggest you switch it up a little bit. Add some peanut butter, a little whole grain bread, and some milk to your diet. I love eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast. I actually have started eating dinner with my family several nights a week. I just eat a more reasonable amount than I used to.
  • MPJ515
    MPJ515 Posts: 3
    Options
    You guys are unbelievable!!! How can I begin to thank you for your quick responses and thoughtful answers? I've read them all and I'm going to re-read them in the morning (it's bedtime here) and try to adopt your suggestions. I will say that I've been trying new recipes--with good success--and I'm learning so much about healthy eating. The research and meal planning is fun. I just don't care to eat a enough of it. I will consider the dark chocolate and bits of butter, but I don't know that I trust myself to self-regulate yet.

As I said, I'll re-read and respond again tomorrow. Thank you AGAIN!!!!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    With my personality I cannot eat sweets in moderation. I am an all or nothing kind of person. If I took a bite of a cookie you will see me eating the whole bag. Do you like fruit?
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that butter is a good fat, real butter, not margarine or the alternative butters which have a lot of really bad chemicals in them. I think you kinda answered your own question here....add some butter so some of the things you are eating...don't over do it but it is a good fat and could boost your calories a little bit. Now days there is so much misinformation out there about butter and a lot of it just isn't right. Margarine is far worse for you than butter for many reasons. So I'd say don't completely knock it out of your diet. I also agree with the above. You can add some of your favorite things into your diet in moderation. Being under you goal calories can't be helping your body much. Just my 2 cents.
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that butter is a good fat, real butter, not margarine, or the alternative butters which have a lot of really bad chemicals in them. I think you kinda answered your own question here....add some butter so some of the things you are eating...don't over do it but it is a good fat and could boost your calories a little bit. Now days there is so much misinformation out there about butter and a lot of it just isn't right. Margarine is far worse for you than butter for many reasons. So I'd say don't completely knock it out of your diet. I also agree with the above. You can add some of your favorite things into your diet in moderation. Being under you goal calories can't be helping your body much. Just my 2 cents.