Train for 1/2 Marathon?

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
So, I'm not the best distance runner, and this is probably crazy since I haven't even ran a 5k, but I want to train for a 1/2 marathon. I will likely do a few 5ks before the 1/2, but my goal is the 1/2 marathon. I'm good at running mid-distance at a fast pace. I haven't ran since March and just ran a mile in about 6:30 on Monday(don't remember exact time), so I have high hopes I'll be able to do this. But, after 1 mile, I'll probably die, honestly lol. I remember doing 3.1 miles in about 30 minutes? (Give or take...okay, primarily give lol.) last time I tried (probably this time last year) And I remember wanting to die lol

Can I get some advice on how to train for a 1/2 marathon or at least try and increase my endurance? Please & thank you <3:)

Replies

• lwagnitz
    Options
    any takers? :/
  • BreathingBetter
    Options
    Hi April,
    Your intention is good and finishing will be great. Yes, your thinking right by doing a few 5k's and getting a specific plan for a training schedule. I have 2 ideas for you, 1. A non-profit group provides training program and schedule for folks.. Just google; nonprofit running training organization. I live in Baltimore and they came to town to help a group of guys in a recovery program.
    The other is to increase you lung capacity gradually with portable Oxygen. visit www.Oxygen4energy.com/Breatheasy and look at the info.It is my website and it has helped me with increasing my ability to work out harder, run better because It is a pure oxygen supplement.
  • joeemorgann
    joeemorgann Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some programmes like couch to 5k from the nhs? Or download the 5, 10 and 21k runner apps from the App Store. Working well for me at the moment :)
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Maybe try some programmes like couch to 5k from the nhs? Or download the 5, 10 and 21k runner apps from the App Store. Working well for me at the moment :)

I didn't really think about apps, that's a good idea. I've been scouring pinterest to see if there are any good routines, too. :)
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have been training for my 1/2 using Hal Higdons program. Change up your running. Short fast run medium runs and long slow runs throughout the week. Make sure hour stretching and resting as well. The body need s rest days.
  • sophieclarev
    Options
    I started running doing 4-5km runs 3-4 times a week. Hated it. Had a wonderful trainer take an interest in me and he just suggested I increase my running time at a lower intensity. Within 6 weeks I could run for 1hr 50mins straight by just slowing down and running further each time. That was only in October. I can now complete a half marathon in 2hrs 10mins and that is with some wicked hills.

You can do it! If you want some support feel free to send me a friend request and good luck.
  • ratsassy
    Options
    I have been training for my 1/2 using Hal Higdons program. Change up your running. Short fast run medium runs and long slow runs throughout the week. Make sure hour stretching and resting as well. The body need s rest days.

^ Exactly what I've been doing!
  • lwagnitz
    Options

Interesting. How many days do you usually run a week? Was planning on running 4-5x/week, I also lift, and take 1 day off a week from everything.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I finished my first half marathon in November. Just google training for a half marathon in ____ weeks and you will find numerous training programs. Instead of just running a steady pace, intervals really helped me. I also do cycling on my non running days at that helped get my endurance up. You can do it!
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

I'm using the same program right now as well.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper does 5k,10k, half and full marathon programmes
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you can run a mile in 6:30 then you can run a HM in 1:45 if you take the time to build up your endurance. It takes time, maybe 6 months or more, and a lot of running at an easy pace. Easy pace on a HRM is around 70 to 75% max heartrate.

Read the link below on how to build a big endurance base. Scale it back to what you can do now and build over time as you get stronger.

Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What I would say is ignore your time for the mile for now, and train for distance. I started training for a half marathon a few months back: when I was comfortable running 5k (using C25K), I slowly upped my mileage until I was comfortable running 10k. From there, I just upped my miles every week- 12k, 14k, 16k etc until I hit the magical 13 miles a week before Christmas. What I have learnt is that you can work on speed once you have the distance- my 5k time only started improving radically once I was comfortable running 10k, and my 10k times have only just started improving- once you are comfortable running for a longer distance you can start weaving some speed into a shorter run. Also, on my long runs I started with the walk/run- I ran for 2.5k- walked for 30 seconds and repeated- then I slowly increased the distance between walks until I was running the full 21k- so don't be afraid to break a longer distance up into intervals.

I tend to do one LONG run a week, a shorter run (I like doing a timed 5k for a bit of speedplay- but sometimes I'll just do a 40 minute 6-7k run), and a medium run (this used to be 8k- it's now more around the 12k mark). If I fancy an extra run I'll sneak in a fartlek. I would be highly tempted (if I was you) right now to either start a half marathon training program (runkeeper does a fantastic one), or if that doesn't suit to just slowly increase your distance weekly.

Just ignore speed, get that distance down first, and then you can work out your pace from there. I could quite happily push a mile out in 5 minutes when I'm doing a speed run- would I want to even attempt that on a half? Heck no, I wouldn't make it past the 5 mile mark. I like to take my 13 miles a lot slower, I like to run it anywhere between an 8-8.5 minute mile- I do want to speed that up before my 1/2 in may, but I know that will come in time.
  • Natashadb
    Options
    I plan on doing a 1/2 marathon too. I am aiming for October, so I am going to do a 10K in a few weeks and see how that goes first. I will most likely die.

Good Luck!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Interesting. How many days do you usually run a week? Was planning on running 4-5x/week, I also lift, and take 1 day off a week from everything.

Im running 4 days and lifting 2-3. I never lift on long run days & always have 1 full day rest.