Hi I'm a New Member .. any diabetic forums on here?

Options
I am a 53 YO woman who was diagnosed with diabetes about 4 years ago. I am on oral medications (metformin, Januvia, and amaryl) and right now my numbers look good (compared to 4 years ago .. yikes). I started working out again in September and have been doing a mild fitness circuit (with weights and cardio) 3 times a week with and making a point to walk more. I've only lost about 5 pounds right now but its a start to the 30+ pounds I want to lose plus I'm not as "jiggly" so I think I'm on the right track! Any other diabetics out there I can hang out with ? Thanks -- Bethany

Replies

• jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hello. There are lots of diabetics on here. If you search the groups and forum posts, you will find many of us. I'm a type one and you are more than welcome to add me. -Jillian
  • kanice50
    Options
    I am a 51 year old women turning 52 in 4 weeks. I am starting the Shred Revolutionary Diet with some co-workers. Would love to have you join us. The book is by Ian K Smith. Shred Revolutionary Diet loose in 6 Weeks 4 inches and 2 sizes.
  • bethanyreeddilullo
    Options
    I've heard of shred but not sure what it entails . Will check it out how do I add somebody?
  • sjlonghorn
    sjlonghorn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Another new diabetic here. (New to MFP, not diabetes). Also on Fitocracy with same UN. I'm on Lantus (35U/day) and Humalog (7U/meal before adjusting for BG and carbs), but would really like to get my dosages down.

Have been jogging as well as some other cross-fit exercise (e.g. Wii Active) . Hoping to get back into soccer and racquetball soon.

My recommended nutrition goals from MFP (for 1 lb/week weight loss) are:
    1,370 calories/day
    Carbs / Day 188 g
    Fat / Day 46 g
    Protein / Day 51 g

I'm curious how this compares to other diabetics on here. I definitely think I need fewer carbs and higher protein...

Looking forward to chatting with you all!
  • Kev_witchcity
    Options
    Hi Bethany,

Not as many forums on those of us with Diabetes that would like but they are out there. I'm a Type 2 diabetic and have been for more than 5 years now. Metformin 2000mg a day here and I try and exercise and eat regularly as much as possible. Would be glad to discuss anything diabetes related or otherwise with you!! Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • bethanyreeddilullo
    Options
    Hi there .. I just got switched back to metformin after taking Glumetza...insurance wouldn't pay for the glumetza anymore which is a shame because its a time-released pill with very little of the gastro side effects that i experience with metformin. I'm not sure how to add somebody but as soon as I figure it out, I'll add people -- maybe if I think somebody is watching it will keep me motivated :)
  • sjlonghorn
    Options
    Here's a question for you all... is anyone else on Insulin? And if so, how do you arrange your exercise around your meals and shooting? That's a bit of a struggle for me....
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for you all... is anyone else on Insulin? And if so, how do you arrange your exercise around your meals and shooting? That's a bit of a struggle for me....

Type one diabetic here and I use a pump. That helps big time with exercise, meals, injections, etc. Anyone is welcome to add me.
  • sjlonghorn
    Options
    Can you tell me a little bit about what your daily routine is like? Does the pump make it so that you can pretty much eat / exercise on any schedule you want? What additional injections do you have to take beyond what the pump provides?

Type one diabetic here and I use a pump. That helps big time with exercise, meals, injections, etc. Anyone is welcome to add me.
  • Jen1851
    Options
    Help!I was just diagnosed borderline diabetic and am looking for some tips on diet changes I have a sweet tooth like you you wouldnt believe lol but iv managed to cut out most of the excess sugar in my diet but still havin problems with sugar spikes Maybe its the carbs?
  • jw17695
    Options
    Can you tell me a little bit about what your daily routine is like? Does the pump make it so that you can pretty much eat / exercise on any schedule you want? What additional injections do you have to take beyond what the pump provides?

The pump works on short acting insulin only. It gives you a small does every hour, much the way a normal person's pancreas does. Then you add a little bit extra right before a meal to compensate for the carbs you eat. You don't have to take any additional shots unless there is a malfunction with the pump (usually insertion site or tubing).
  • jw17695
    Options
    Help!I was just diagnosed borderline diabetic and am looking for some tips on diet changes I have a sweet tooth like you you wouldnt believe lol but iv managed to cut out most of the excess sugar in my diet but still havin problems with sugar spikes Maybe its the carbs?

Sharp sugar spikes are usually related to high GI foods.
  • nowlinrefugee
    Options
    hi im new to the site...im a life long diabetic, midtwenties and also looking to join a support group. i recently purchased a nutribullet and sign up for a kickboxing package i found Groupon.

anyone looking to share experiences and advice im open to it thanks...:smile:
  • powchutu
    Options
    Saw Dr. Oz show today about Shred Revolutionary Diet. I do not have the book - thinking of getting it from Kindle?
    I plan to do yoga (DVD: This is Yoga by Tara Stiles) cause of my bad back and my heart condition. Don't have the dvd either.
    Trying to find out what's Yoga beginners steps are.
    I don't mind joining though!
    I do not have diabetics - will most likely get it cause everyone in the family has it. I want to control that.
  • DebbyMargaret
    DebbyMargaret Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a type 2 diabetic ( 10 years) maintaining sugar balance with Janumet, diet and exercise. Just joined MFP as weight has begun to, yet again, creep back.

My Best practices for success:
    1. logging my food to be the best approach to monitoring my food (MFP is a great interface)
    2. Yoga several times a week
    3. 3x week aerobic exercise ( biking or spinning or walking)
    4. Become as compulsive about maintaining sugar balance as I am about overeating
    5. Green protein shake for breakfast, only whole grains, lots of water

Is there a separate section on MFP for diabetics?