South Beach Diet Take 2

Options
The last time I was seriously on the South Beach Diet I lost a massive amount of weight. I decided to stay on phase 1 the no carbs rule for what turned out to be so long I cant tell you. I remember the first time my mother said have a little brown rice about 3 months into my diet (and she is supportive and my rock so this isnt her fault or mine) brown carbs are good brown rice low carb whole wheat wraps. I know this now but then I didnt. It took me about 20 minutes staring at those 2 teaspoons of brown rice on my plate, but like someone with an eating disorder (and I say this cause I worked 13 months interning at an eating disorder unit in a hospital with the patients 3 meals a day) I could not get myself to put even a kernel in my mouth. Maybe its because I had a feeling, something I know now as my gut. If I put a little carbs in my mouth at some point I will cave crash and burn and will fall off the wagon. Well I dont remember when exactly it happended I believe it was on a trip to the Middle East where I treated myself to a taste ot the local foods, but eventually I crashed not as bad as before but if I didnt do something I would get to a place I never want to go. Last January 7, 2009 I started on here. I did a modified south beach cause I knew I couldnt give up those carbs for fear of recrashing. I decided I would allow myself brown rice and those low carb tortillas and wraps. I also did something diferent then the last South Beach diet I did - I exercised. I mean consistently I walked 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes. I was able to get over 1 hour of walking in eventually and lost about 13 pounds. However as many of us do I hit a plateu. A big fat plaeu that never ended no matter what I did. That occured in April. i did not give up. I did however think if I tricked my body into thinking I was eating crap again it would motivate my body to lose the weight. HA that didnt happen, but at least i was consistent with my exercise. And then during the summer ironically because of the treadmill I fracture two toes and could not walk for weeks. CRAP!!! And that was it bye bye exercise hello gaining weight back. (Not all, not even close. but enough to know I need to seriously think things over)
Yesterday I had lets call it an epiphany it was the exact same time I had started the first try of the South Beach Diet. And with all this knowledge and now it documented on here for me to come back to. And with summer and my birthday right around the corner I am doing this, I am doing this for me for my healthy for my future and for what I know. I am 26 years old not obese not close but heavy enough that I feel like crap about myself and it doesnt help I have a sister who looks like Twiggy works in a bakery and can eat the all the contents of that bakery and still look gorgeous in a bikini. But I am doing this for me cause I think my self esteem and my life can change if I feel good about myself and I know this will happen once I can look in the mirror and be happy with myself. I am also graduating from graduate school in june in hopes to be a social worker, I live in New York City and intern and am in school full time (this year my hours are crazy but thankfully the weather is getting nicer and the sun is out later so I can walk after work if need be)

So yesterday I started phase 1 of the South Beach Diet all over again. No carbs and I will continue to do the no carb thing as long as it takes I dont know for how many weeks I was thinking until June but Im a realist. If I feel the need for carbs I now know that 2 teaspoons or even two tablespoons of brown rice (real spoons not my old version of them) wont kill me. That a whole wheat wrap wont sabotage my diet as long as its filled with healthy measure items. I will get back outside or on the treadmill and walk for at least 30 minutes at least 3 days a week. And hopefully with the support from all of you wonderful people I can finally at last reach my goal (there is no actual number but they make you put it on here, personally when my stomache is flat and tones when my fact isnt so round and ther rest of me is toned when my clothes fit me without me checking to see if I look ok in what im wearing) then I will be ok. But when that happends I know it is only the begining because this is a lifestyle change not a diet and I must continue doing this forever.

Thank you for listening to my rant i know it was long but it helped to get it all out there.

XOXO

Turtle (cause slow and steady I hope to win this race)

ps Im on here everyday if anyone needs support, but last two support groups I joined on here everyone disappeared and Im cautious of rejoining one)

Replies

• casshole
    casshole Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love the name....turtle, its cute. Interesting story, and good luck with the carbs! They are my weakness so I have been trying my best to steer clear of them too. Best of luck with the new you. You can do this :wink:
  • jdramage
    jdramage Posts: 37
    Options
    So I'm a little biased responding to this although I fully support your commitment. I don't believe the "no carb" way of thinking to be a lifestyle change at all. It is a diet and diets are difficult to maintain. I'm no scientist or nutritionist but your body needs a balance of foods which includes healthy carbs. This means trying to avoid refined white flours which are in a lot of things and which hold no nutritional value. I could never live without my healthy carbs. I love whole grain breads and brown rice. Of course you eat them in moderation because the calorie content is high, but that really goes with anything. I did try the South Beach diet but couldn't maintain it, especially not the first phase. I would suggest really reading up and educating yourself on healthy eating and what that means. I believe you will find more success with that approach. Good luck!
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    OMG! I did the South Beach Diet in college, and it worked great! I was actually JUST thinking that I should give it a try again. I'm not looking for a fad diet and I want a permanent life change, but I think that may be the thing to get me back on track. I have a serious sweet tooth, and the SBD helped me get rid of my sweet tooth! I'll do it with you! I was thinking of starting Phase 1 on Monday... I'll let you know how it goes :)
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    P.S I agree... don't try to maintain the no-carbs that long! I think it makes sense to follow the plan, but your supposed to add carbs back after 2 weeks.
  • pepamint83
    pepamint83 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I may not have been clear. I am not giving good carbs up for ever just long enough to rejump start the weight loss. The reason for me for doing it a little longer than two weeks is because I know that if I only give it up for two weeks I may crash again. Crash even with the good carbs. So im thinking of doing the no carbs thing for maybe a month if not a little longer. Then I will reintroduce brown rice and whole wheat to my diet starting on weekends or 1 meal a day. I do understand the body needs carbohydrates trust me i learnt that the hard way, that is why in two weeks or so I will allow myself fruit again but that is an easy thing to add back because it is portion controlled. then the good carbs slowly but controlled as best i can. I just fear a relapse like last time. We wll see I guess its a learning curve isnt it lol.

Again thank you for those who answered and for the friend requests I appreciate it. And yes the name its true so feel free to call me that or pep and JJ yes I will have your back we can do this we all can its more of a mind thing then anything else.

Turtle
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Greetings! I'm doing South Beach right now as well!

Just a caution to anyone else thinking of South Beach - everything I've read and everything they say over at the South Beach website indicates that you shouldn't be on Phase 1 more than 2 weeks, unless you're severely obese, in which case no more than a month. If you're following Phase 1 more than a month, you're not doing South Beach - you're doing your own thing. South Beach isn't a no-carb plan. If you're following South Beach, you should be eating brown rice, whole grains, beans and even occasional treats.

If you really think the extremely low carb thing works for you, you should look into Atkins. I tried that, and was miserable! I'd rather be fat than eat on that plan for as long as it would take to lose the weight!
  • pepamint83
    Options
    Thats why I call it a modified south beach : ) . I have completed over a week with no carbs and have been really good. I am going to go for another two weeks 3 max (1 month) then slowly add brown rice and whole wheat low carb tortillas and bread and fruit back into my diet but this time I will do it the right way. I know I cant live with out carbs the rest of my life but I am trying to do it in a way that I can balance good carbs and not fall back into my bad patterns and habbits.
  • graegirl
    graegirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did the South Beach plan four years ago and lost 25 pounds! I felt and looked great. I went back to school a few years ago, and due to careless eating and a more sedentary lifestyle, I gained 20 pounds back.

I just started Phase One yesterday, and am REALLY EXCITED to be doing South Beach again, and reclaiming the honed and healthy body I worked so hard for. My goal is to lose 20 pounds and increase my fitness---I want to look GOOD in jeans again!

Good luck to all of us who are starting Phase One and the next phase of our lives. The next few weeks (or month for you badasses) will be tough, but it is SO WORTH IT.
  • pepamint83
    Options
    congrats taking that first step is one of the hardest and if u need motivation i can be that for anyone. Ive been no carbing it for a few weeks now and feel great I did have brown rice last weeks 3 times but didnt really need it or miss it so for now Im sticking to no carbs. Thats me everyone has to do what is best for them. I will be adding brown rice back soon but irght now Im ok. Oddly my appetite has been so little Ive barely been hungry but have been forcing myself to eat. Fruit will be added back this week in moderation and maybe brown rice next weekend but still not sure. I have been drining lots of seltzer and water but I cheated and had diet coke (cheated for me Im trying to lay off diet soda) but I only let myself have the soda AFTER ive had my 8 cups of water. Im feeling good and going to up my exercising and we shall see if I can be anywhere near my goal byu summer or end of summer (or mid summer lol)

One good note I was away from my internship last two weeks I came back on Wed and got a lot of compliments people saying I lost a lot of weight so that felt good. Im currently staying away from the scale number doesnt really matter to me If my clothes fit how I want them to and I look healthy thats really all that matters to me.

And again if anyone needs help and motivation Im here.
  • sunqween21
    sunqween21 Posts: 19
    Options
    South Beach Diet is NOT a "no-carb" diet. Instead of saying no carbs, it should be no grains. There are carbs in veggies which are allowed in plentiful especially in the first phase. The Dr. that created this does say it is a lifestyle. I was diagnosed with PCOS + insulin resistance and this was highly recommended. I have found that I don't crave breads, pasta, and white potatoes, until I have them. Then that's all I want. The whole principle behind SBD is good carbs and good fats with lean proteins. If you can cut your sugary starchy habit in the first phase, you'll do great.