Food Suggestions to Help Me Sleep?

Options
Hi there!

I started logging my food a week ago and it has helped me tremendously to eat within my calorie range. What I never realized before is how previous overeating had been lulling me into lethargy in order to sleep at night. So now, without overeating, I feel energized and that's GREAT....except at 3am.:yawn:

I seem to have the problem even on days that I don't exercise and also I haven't changed anything else, such as caffeine intake, etc. So, it seems to be just the caloric restriction.

I don't want to be running to the health food store for supplements or teas, although I might try chamomile. I'd rather just save some calories for the evening and eat something to help me sleep. Has anyone else solved this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? Would you recommend high carb (bready) or high protein (chicken, egg) or high fat (cheddar, yogurt)?

Thank you!

Replies

• ranchel1
    ranchel1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suffer from insomnia from time to time, and there are a few things I change that encourage a good night's sleep after any terrible ones. Chamomile tea before bed works wonders for me, as does valerian tea.

I would tend to avoid carbs in the evening, so your stomach isn't too full when you're trying to sleep. Instead, make sure you're drinking enough water, and settle down with hot teas before bed. What also helped me, was increasing my magnesium intake. I take a supplement - it also helps my muscles after sport, and I find it helps me sleep.

Good luck, and good night!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    +1 for magnesium

Carbs are also meant to promote sleep, all to do with the production of tryptophan.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i dont have any food suggestions, however using your pc, mobile phone (looking at screen), tv etc all awakens your brain. if you are doing so, try shutting down at least an hour before bed time.

get into bed with a cup of tea and a good book and start a new routine. your body will soon start to get used to it.

sleep tight!

:yawn:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me sleepy.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    The Fresh Market makes a mean rotisserie turkey breast that put me to sleep within 45 min of eating it--no lie!
    #TryptophanInducedBird
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I haven't changed my "screen time" routine and it never caused problems before, but reading a book or magazine does tend to make me sleepy, so I'll remember that as my secret weapon, along with chamomile and warm milk.

I'm torn between something carby to lull me into a nice, cozy food coma or the tryptophan idea. I'll try one and then the other and see how it works.

I prefer not to start introducing supplements to my life, but if all else fails, it's good to know that something as simple as magnesium could help.