Anybody using Endomondo to count calories burned?

Options
It is available for Android and iOS both. Its a phone app that's a sports tracker (for anybody who doesn't know).

Anybody know how accurate this is with tracking the calories burned? anybody over here uses it?

Replies

• HypnoticHaylee
    Options
    I use it and love it. I use it mostly when I am on trails or running around fields. I use noom cardio whenever I am doing general walking/jogging outside. I like them both, seems pretty accurate as well.
  • mad00had00
    mad00had00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use it and love it. I use it mostly when I am on trails or running around fields. I use noom cardio whenever I am doing general walking/jogging outside. I like them both, seems pretty accurate as well.

Cool! Yeah I was just wondering if it is accurate enough.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I find it over-estimates my burn a bit, so I tend to just take the distance, and multiply by what my hrm averages per mile for me (because I don't really want to wear my hrm when I'm just wandering around all day).
  • mad00had00
    Options
    I find it over-estimates my burn a bit, so I tend to just take the distance, and multiply by what my hrm averages per mile for me (because I don't really want to wear my hrm when I'm just wandering around all day).

Rough idea by how much?
  • scrapfrfun
    Options
    I once wore my HRM and had Endomondo running at the same time. Endomondo over estimated my calories burned by 150+ compared to the HRM, but I kept my HRM going until I was back to resting rate and then they were only 20 calories apart. I did it again and ended up with the same results.
  • mad00had00
    Options
    I once wore my HRM and had Endomondo running at the same time. Endomondo over estimated my calories burned by 150+ compared to the HRM, but I kept my HRM going until I was back to resting rate and then they were only 20 calories apart. I did it again and ended up with the same results.

so pretty close you would say, right?
  • scrapfrfun
    Options
    pretty close.....when I do a group X class at the gym I only use my HRM, when I walk I use Endomondo knowing that it is pretty close. Don't keep the Endomondo going until your heart rate is down, shut it off when your walk is complete.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Rough idea by how much?
    Walking, it's about 20 calories a mile, running is 50ish calories a mile.
  • mad00had00
    Options

Rough idea by how much?
    Walking, it's about 20 calories a mile, running is 50ish calories a mile.

Not too bad if its 20 calories over estimating a mile (walking).
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I use more to track my pace running or average speed biking , don't really look at calorie burn
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    If you use their site to put in your avg. and max heart rate, it's fairly accurate.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Pretty accurate for me, I haven't seen as much discrepancy as what several are reporting here. But I have friends who have had larger discrepancies. They (Endo) occasionally adjust the formulas they use to calculate the kcal burn, so there is definitely a little bit of error involved, but overall pretty accurate.
  • mad00had00
    Options
    Pretty accurate for me, I haven't seen as much discrepancy as what several are reporting here. But I have friends who have had larger discrepancies. They (Endo) occasionally adjust the formulas they use to calculate the kcal burn, so there is definitely a little bit of error involved, but overall pretty accurate.

That's good to hear.
  • mad00had00
    Options
    bump
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    It is available for Android and iOS both. Its a phone app that's a sports tracker (for anybody who doesn't know).

Anybody know how accurate this is with tracking the calories burned? anybody over here uses it?

I just got the wahoo Bluetooth HRM strap for the iPhone 5. I have used Runkeeper app twice now on 2- 6.8 mile power walks. I am convinced the calorie burn over estimates on RK. I am going to walk the same trail using Endumondo and the Wahoo apps next week for comparison. If they overestimate I am going back to using a polar FT7 HRM and just using the apps for distance and pace. Also what I might do is find out what % of overestimation and just subtract it from what the apps say as I really don't want to gear up with with all these gizmos.
  • arsenalbates
    arsenalbates Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey, i want to start using this app but i have just pressed start and the calories are going up and im not moving ???

Is this a fault or what ?
  • Harriann84
    Options
    I have always used it, I love it, although I was gobsmacked when it said I burn 2200+ calories on a 7 mile walk in 1hr and 20mins!
    It's brilliant though.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Rough idea by how much?

I normally take about 20% off.

100 cals per mile is a reasonable estimate. Add some to that if you're above average weight, or if you're on a hilly course. If it is wildly beyond that, chances are it is significantly overestimating.

Mfp numbers are pretty good for running, but overestimate walking.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have always used it, I love it, although I was gobsmacked when it said I burn 2200+ calories on a 7 mile walk in 1hr and 20mins!
    It's brilliant though.

It is very unlikely this is accurate. More like a thousand?
  • Harriann84
    Options
    It's brilliant though.

It is very unlikely this is accurate. More like a thousand?

I don't know, I was walking an average a mile in 11 minutes. I haven't walked that fast for a long time. I was marching.