Hair fall

Options
Does weight loss/ weight gain Affect hair loss?my hair has become very weak and dull after I put on weight in September or thereabouts.:cry: now I'm trying to cut back on the calories but I'm still facing hair fall and hair related problems.:sad: .any good hair foods out there?thanks...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my hair tends to fall out a lot more when i am not eating my fruit and veg.

also, nuts and seeds (but watch the calories & portion size) i think because of the zinc in them, though dont quote me on that one!
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Mmm well I am anemic and if I don't consume enough iron my hair falls out.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Does weight loss/ weight gain Affect hair loss?my hair has become very weak and dull after I put on weight in September or thereabouts.:cry: now I'm trying to cut back on the calories but I'm still facing hair fall and hair related problems.:sad: .any good hair foods out there?thanks...

hair loss can be related to undereating. Make sure you are getting enough protein.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It's also a symptom of hypothyroidism. Go to your doctor.
  • karenbrooks14661
    karenbrooks14661 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i used to be a hairdresser! weight gain/loss doesnt affect your hair, but poor diet/health/stress does!
    hair is mainly made of proteins/keratin, try to eat a balanced healthy diet, inc proteins, a multivitamin tablet will help, use good conditioner/hair masks, the aussie range are good!
    looking after yourself is the key, if hair continues to thin, see your doctor, it may be alopecia (rare but it happens),
    best wishes
    karen x
  • tmcc70
    tmcc70 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor? My hair has been falling out for the last year.

I wouldn't do a real low calorie diet. I was doing low calorie for a few months before my hair started falling out. My hair is finally starting to regrow after a year. My doctor thinks mine was from vitamin def. and hormone issues.

Take a good multi vitamin. I'm taking "Maxi Hair" and " Ferro-Sequels".
  • Liadora11
    Options
    I had a problem with hair loss for a bit and the doc said it was hormonal. Once I fixed my diet and quite using shampoo and other hair products (I wash it with baking soda now) it got better. Good luck, hope you get it sorted. :)
  • awaterbuffalo
    awaterbuffalo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have fine thin hair, so I get your frustration. Listen to the other posters and consider your diet, stress, and perhaps physiological factors that may affect your follicles.

However, I have a couple tips that helps with hair that may be falling out:

Do you take Biotin, a supplement? It's great for hair and nails
    When you get out of the shower, do NOT rub your hair dry. This loosens the hair. Rather, blot the hair gently to absorb excess water.
    Use a comb to detangle wet hair, not a brush
    How often do you wash your hair? I know this sounds crazy, but I only wash mine 1/week. Getting used to this took me awhile, but keeping the natural oils in the hair really helped thicken it. You feel gross for the first couple weeks, but your hair will look amazing later, promise. I actually think my hair styles better dirty than clean.

Wishing you luck...
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? When I wasn't eating enough & getting enough nutrients, my hair starting falling out like crazy. Make sure you eat enough protein, & eat lots of fruits & veggies!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? How much protein are you getting? How many fruits and veggies do you eat?

Hair falling out can be a sign of medical issues but also can be a sign of undereating and not getting enough nutrients in your diet.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Weight loss, no. Starving your body of essential nutrients or calories, yes. If you think you are eating a balanced diet, see a doctor there are medical conditions that affect your hair.
  • TeddieK
    TeddieK Posts: 10
    Options
    I would have my thyroid tested. Hair loss is one of the signs of thyroid problems.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's also a symptom of hypothyroidism. Go to your doctor.

Ditto!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you may need to have your thyroid checked. Also, if you are undereating or very stressed out, this could contribute. Some birth control medication (depo provera, for one) can make your hair thin or fall out easily. Always better to have a doctor's opinion.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    this might help
    tumblr_lq25eezhaP1qa6n78o1_400.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that now that my PCOS symptoms are improving that it also means my hair is not as thick as it once was. Less facial hair but also less head hair its not fair.
  • poorvifat
    Options
    Thanks everybody.:flowerforyou: will see a dermatologist soon