Protein Powder

Options
I would like some advise about protein powders. I want to have a smoothie in the morning (fruit, Greek Yogurt, Almond Milk) and everyone is suggesting adding protein powder. I'm not too sure about this. With the almond milk and the greek yogurt, aren't I getting a good serving of protein? I am looking at not feeling hungry (thus the extra protein) rather than building muscle...I will tackle that after I have more fat off and my stamina back up. Or should I be taking it now anyway. If and when I do start with the protein powder, any suggestions on brands, or types? I need some information and I figure there are a lot of people here that have opinions.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eating loads of protein does not build muscle...
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    you really don't need to add protein powder. protein powder is just a supplement for people to reach their daily goal(whether it be a gram per bodyweight or like you said building muscle). if you get your required amount of protein for your goal from food, you'd just be wasting money.
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So long as your hitting your Protein Macro Goal u dont need a suppliment. As above, suppliments are only for people who cant get thier macros via food.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I would like some advise about protein powders. I want to have a smoothie in the morning (fruit, Greek Yogurt, Almond Milk) and everyone is suggesting adding protein powder. I'm not too sure about this. With the almond milk and the greek yogurt, aren't I getting a good serving of protein? I am looking at not feeling hungry (thus the extra protein) rather than building muscle...I will tackle that after I have more fat off and my stamina back up. Or should I be taking it now anyway. If and when I do start with the protein powder, any suggestions on brands, or types? I need some information and I figure there are a lot of people here that have opinions.
    Add the protein powder, because you won't be getting enough with greek yogurt and almond milk. And your thinking is flawed. When you mention tackling building muscle after your fat is off, I am going to assume weight training. You should be weight training now.

You can't go wrong with the Optimum brand of protein powders.
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    you really don't need to add protein powder. protein powder is just a supplement for people to reach their daily goal(whether it be a gram per bodyweight or like you said building muscle). if you get your required amount of protein for your goal from food, you'd just be wasting money.
    +1 to that.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    So long as your hitting your Protein Macro Goal u dont need a suppliment. As above, suppliments are only for people who cant get thier macros via food.
    Whey doesn't really fall into supplements. It's the purest form of protein out.

Well, I don't consider it a supplement.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I use Vital Strength Define for Women, its amazing and cheap. 20g protein per scoop, low carb and fat with about 90 cals. I usually mix my protein powder with yogurt and fruit or pancakes. If I cant I would opt for a shake.

As I am vegetarian its really hard for me to hit my protein goal so I need protein supplements almost daily!
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I know many peoples views differ, my personal view is, 100g of protein from WHEY or 100g protein from chicken breast doesn't make much difference. All this Hydolised, and Micronised etc etc etc are just sales gimmics imo, there may be benifits but they are so small that i should not consider them as a benifit.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    What is your fitness goal? I noticed that you only take anywhere between 30 - 70 grams of protein a day. If you want to tone and build muscle (and your not one of these woman who think that you will get bulky) I would suggest that taking some form of a protein powder would be beneficial. Protein powders / Shakes offer other benefits like quick muscle recovery after a workout. Even if you use one or two scoops a day it is not a waste of money.
  • AntWrig
    Options

I know many peoples views differ, my personal view is, 100g of protein from WHEY or 100g protein from chicken breast doesn't make much difference. All this Hydolised, and Micronised etc etc etc are just sales gimmics imo, there may be benifits but they are so small that i should not consider them as a benifit.
    I think we're in agreement.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Protein can help with satiation, but something to consider is that volume can help too.
    In fact a study was done where the researches gave people milkshakes of same mass and nutrition, but used a machine to inject air into the milkshake expanding the volume. Then they tracked the caloric intake of the subsequent meal. They found that subjects that had the larger volume ate fewer calories in the subsequent meal.

How can you use this insight? Aside from injecting air into your shakes.. You can eat lots of vegetables which have low energy density. You can fill an entire bowl of nutritious vegetables rich in vitamins minerals and flavour...
  • AntWrig
    Options
    What is your fitness goal? I noticed that you only take anywhere between 30 - 70 grams of protein a day. If you want to tone and build muscle (and your not one of these woman who think that you will get bulky) I would suggest that taking some form of a protein powder would be beneficial. Protein powders / Shakes offer other benefits like quick muscle recovery after a workout. Even if you use one or two scoops a day it is not a waste of money.
    /Facepalm
  • darcy2102
    darcy2102 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I want to get fit...meaning I want to lose the extra fat, build my endurance and tone my muscles. I am trying to get into a better physical place, more for health than anything else (and ya, looking better is a great side effect), but I want to be healthy. I don't eat a lot of red meat (long story but we'll say my body just isn't a big fan of it), but I do eat chicken, and pork (and fish)...I try to get protein from things like legumes, and nuts (sometimes) and eggs etc, to make up for the lack of red meat.
  • Leibschen
    Options
    I agree. I have lost 135 pounds and I have to get in 80 gms. of protein a day. I use Ocean Ave. or Jillian Muichaels protein powder mixed with one cup of fat free greek yogurt two meals a day. It has worked for me.....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am going to be starting on Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein soon. Although I am getting more into weight training, I am taking it because I am protein deficient.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Almond milk itself doesn't have a lot of protein (at least the unsweetened original flavour I have as it only has 1g per cup). Greek yogurt does as does normal yogurt (just not as much).

I use protein powder because I don't eat meat or fish and need more protein in my diet. My favourite protein powder so far is Muscle Maxx Vanilla which I buy at walmart. It is great in coffee, milk, almond milk, mixed with yogurt, or made into a smoothie... it's also not too bad with water.

Look at various protein powders that fit your budget. You can get cheap ones and expensive ones. There are a lot out there so you need to do your research.

Protein itself will not help with toning or building muscle. You need to have enough protein to do that but in order to build muscle you need to lift weights... not those little 5lb dumbells but heavy weights.