Err this might be a REALLY idiotic question

Options
Hello
I am returning to the gym today and I aim to go on the cross trainer (elliptical) for 45 minutes. I am nervous because I haven't been to the gym in 4 months.
What heart rate should I be aiming for on this machine? Don't know if this is relevant but I am 5'8'', 206.6 lbs and 22 years old, I am aiming for a medium resistance on the machine
I am aware that this might be a silly question, or that you need more info.. I would appreciate any advice
Thanks
Georgina

Replies

• lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    For just getting back in the swing of things I'd say 130.

My friend is in the same boat, plus she smokes. I'll tell her what I told you, think about what goal is most important to accomplish, time or resistance. If you want to make your time and you find yourself counting down the seconds before your halfway lower the resistance a couple of notches. You can always build up to one or the other.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Ok cool, thanks. I just want to burn calories and start toning up......so I'm not sure what is more important to me (time or resistance).. absolutely no idea. This is how out of the loop I am. Thank you for the advice.
  • hottramp69
    hottramp69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with lornaloo3 that 130 is about right. In my opinion i would say not to get to hung up about how long you are in the gym for. I think you are better off only doing 20 mins if it means that for that full 20 mins your HR is maintained at 130BPM.
  • Bud42
    Bud42 Posts: 1
    Options
    the typical rule of thumb is to be between 60% and 85% of your max target heart rate. A max target heart rate is 220 - age, for you it is 198. 60% of that is about 120 BPM and 85% is about 170 BPM. So if you stay between 120 and 170 you should be fine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about HR... just get in there, get yourself breathing hard, get a good sweat going and put in the time/work.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok cool, thanks. I just want to burn calories and start toning up......so I'm not sure what is more important to me (time or resistance).. absolutely no idea. This is how out of the loop I am. Thank you for the advice.

if you want to 'tone up', ditch the cardio and start a decent full body strength training programme.
  • AnniePenny
    AnniePenny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is very informative lol i had no idea about what hrm to aim for either :) Thanks guys!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why do people care what her HR is? Especially for someone who hasn't been to the gym in 4 months?