Low carb snacks

Options
Hi! While I'm not on a low carb diet I'm still trying to eat less carbs since I'm thinking it won't hurt, maybe even help a bit. But I can't think of any low carb snacks for when I'm just a little hungry, like late in the evening. I don't really feel like frying a chicken fillet at 11 om before going to sleep :P Any tips? :)

Replies

• lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt, sandwich chicken/turkey, hard boiled egg, nuts, cheese (added benefit of giving you interesting dreams)...
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like to have a little pot of low fat Yogurt or Sugar Free Jelly if I fancy something sweet or a Babybel or other light cheese on an oat cracker if I want something savoury.
    I also keep little mini packs of wafer thin ham, beef or chicken in the fridge so that they are at hand if I don't fancy cooking something
    Sky x
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Haha there's a connection between dreams and cheese? Who knew! Eating nuts is a good idea. Kind of hard not to overeat though, cuz they're so good :D But I'll def try it! I eat a lot of eggs already so I'm a little worried my cholesterol levels will get too high if I eat more. But other than that, great tip :)
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Cheese is supposed to give you nightmares if you eat it too soon before bed! About the cholesterol why not buy cartoned egg whites? I find they're really useful for protein.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Fry it another time.

Eating cholesterol will not increase your blood cholesterol.
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good idea to keep ham/chicken in the fridge. I'm not too big on artificial sweeteners but some natural yogurt could work!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Cheese is supposed to give you nightmares if you eat it too soon before bed! About the cholesterol why not buy cartoned egg whites? I find they're really useful for protein.

Also a duck's quack is not supposed to echo, and a bumble bee's wings are supposed to be too small for it to fly.

Yet a duck's quack does indeed echo, and the humble bumble bee posseses the power of flight.
  • MrsRoundbottom
    Options
    Try natural / greek yogurt with 1tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (maybe add a few berries too) for a choc fix or a hot cocoa.
  • xxxhodgexxx
    xxxhodgexxx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Maaadde - I had exactly the same problem and so am currently sat here munching on king prawns that I've marinading in chilli and coriander. You can try Granola mixed with nut & flaxseed, some asparagus spears with runny eggs, berries are low in carbs, make some roasted spicy nuts (dead simple & lovely) or chicken sausage rolls - rolled in lettuce.

I tried to find recipes which were lower carb (I still eat vegetables - lower carb ones) and yet tasty. And I positively BARF at too much much cheese. I wrote the recipes down in a book (free with Amazon Prime) called Fat Bird Thin for exactly the same reason. Me & my friends kept trying to find something a little bit different to eat and it was so difficult.

Good luck with whatever you find - I'm currently 8lbs down and losing. My skin's cleared up & I feel really fab.

Sarah
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Cheese, hard boiled egg, berries, apples, peanut butter, veggies with or without hummus, yogurt

good luck!
  • xxxhodgexxx
    xxxhodgexxx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry - had to go and answer the door - here's the recipe for Spicy Roasted Nuts, which you'll keep picking at :0)

INGREDIENTS

• 4 tbsp olive oil
    • 30g salted butter
    • 300g blanched almonds
    • 100g hazelnuts
    • 100g unsalted peanuts
    • 4 tbsp sea salt
    • 1 tbsp fennel seeds
    • 2 tsp ground cumin
    • 1 tbsp chilli flakes
    • 1 tbsp sweet paprika
    • 1 tbsp caster sugar
    • 1 pinch cayenne pepper

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan). Line baking tray with baking paper.
    2. Melt olive oil and butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add nuts and stir until they are all beginning to turn golden, about 5 mins. Drain nuts on paper towel.
    3. Tip nuts into bowl and add salt and spices. Mix well.
    4. Spread layer of nuts on baking tray and bake in oven for 5 mins. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
    5. Store nuts in airtight container until ready to be eaten.

These will keep up to a week in an airtight container.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hi! While I'm not on a low carb diet I'm still trying to eat less carbs since I'm thinking it won't hurt, maybe even help a bit. But I can't think of any low carb snacks for when I'm just a little hungry, like late in the evening. I don't really feel like frying a chicken fillet at 11 om before going to sleep :P Any tips? :)

Raw vegetables with home made ranch is my favorite snack.

Celery with almond butter is another favorite.

Home made jerky is good and low carb and no sugar added to the marinade if you make it yourself.

Right now I am doing a lot of snacking on deer sausage. Yum
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Instead of carbs, eat lean protein. Nibble on leftover chicken. Nibble on tuna salad. Nibble on cucumbers sprinkled with cayenne pepper, make turnip fries (veggies have much lower carbs than processed snacks).
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hi Maaadde - I had exactly the same problem and so am currently sat here munching on king prawns that I've marinading in chilli and coriander. You can try Granola mixed with nut & flaxseed, some asparagus spears with runny eggs, berries are low in carbs, make some roasted spicy nuts (dead simple & lovely) or chicken sausage rolls - rolled in lettuce.

I tried to find recipes which were lower carb (I still eat vegetables - lower carb ones) and yet tasty. And I positively BARF at too much much cheese. I wrote the recipes down in a book (free with Amazon Prime) called Fat Bird Thin for exactly the same reason. Me & my friends kept trying to find something a little bit different to eat and it was so difficult.

Good luck with whatever you find - I'm currently 8lbs down and losing. My skin's cleared up & I feel really fab.

Sarah

That's just eat, if you search low-carb recipes, you will come up with fat ladden recipes. I avoid those at all costs. Instead, I just cook whole fresh lean proteins and make veggies to go with them. Tonight's dinner: Roasted Turkey breast and spaghetti squash with light laughing cow cheese melted in it and some choppped canned tomatoes No Recipes needed, just basic good tasting real food :)