Doing a pull up with a machine?

Options
SO. I want to blast some back fat (and all over fat, of course) and I was told that 2 good methods are Lat Pull downs and pull ups. Now, the lat pull down I got down pat ;p It's the pull up. I've NEVER been able to do them. I don't have upper body strength. Well, I do, but I don't know how to harness it. So is it okay to start off with a machine or should i just jump onto to the bar and see what happens?

Replies

• Goosiesnougs
    Options
    use a body band until you can do them by your onesies. Or have someone spot you!
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in replies on this, my PT said not to use the machine as it's not the same..... but to do lat pull downs until I can do my own body weight on there, and then move onto the pull-ups
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I used a crossfit band (effectively subtracted 35 lbs of my body weight) to learn unassisted chinups and pullups. They're like $20 and you can loop them over any bar. I've read that the seated lat pull-down machine takes your core muscles out of the equation.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Start with inverted rows :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    You can use the bands to help with pull-ups but it won't spot-reduce your back fat.

You can not pick where you want the fat to come off from.
  • BigRich822
    Options
    I started with a pullup assist machine, untill i was strong enough to do them alone. Now im up too 100, and now I start adding weight.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    SO. I want to blast some back fat (and all over fat, of course) and I was told that 2 good methods are Lat Pull downs and pull ups. Now, the lat pull down I got down pat ;p It's the pull up. I've NEVER been able to do them. I don't have upper body strength. Well, I do, but I don't know how to harness it. So is it okay to start off with a machine or should i just jump onto to the bar and see what happens?
    You lose weight via your diet.

Use the assisted machine until you can do a pullup on your own.
  • CraigCooke
    CraigCooke Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat - calorific balance (negative) will assist you in losing weight - back exercises will increase muscle mass / tone in your back...
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    These helped me achieve my unassisted pull up goal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfXuohjylwI

And like others have stated - you cannot spot reduce, eat well and exercise - you will see results. Most of all, BE PATIENT!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I started with a pullup assist machine, untill i was strong enough to do them alone. Now im up too 100, and now I start adding weight.
    You're up to 100 consecutive pull-ups?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You're up to 100 consecutive pull-ups?
    That raised in eye brow as well...
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have tried all 3...the bar, the machine, and the bands. If you have access to the assist machine then i highly recommend that one. It is amazing.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've been told and am a strong believer to skip the machine. Learn on the pull up bar you have at home/gym. Start by doing negatives, using a chair or bench or if your strong enough, do 1 or 2 and work your way from there. Another method which you can do is 'groovin the moo' (lol) which is where you do a pull up (even chin ups) when ever and where ever. So at home or if you happen to walk somewhere with beams/ bars or what ever that will allow a chin up, you do 1, 2 or what you can there.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yes lat pull downs are a great exercise.

For pull ups:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJN8hHY_PQU

Remember, focus on the negative!
  • BigRich822
    Options
    4 sets of 25, cant quite get 100 consecutive
  • shaffy08
    Options
    bump
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    4 sets of 25, cant quite get 100 consecutive

impressive none the less.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Like other have said, you can't spot reduce fat,

The machines work okay, but it won't be much different than just doing a lat pull down. Resistance bands work better. You can also do negatives by using a bench to get you to the top position, and slowly lower yourself back down. I've also seen recommendations for doing lat pull downs in the kneeling position.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I agree....use the assist machine until you can do it on your own.

Towards the end of August I decided to try to do a pull up on the monkey bars at the park. I couldn't lift myself an inch :( The next day I started on the assist machine with 165# of assist. The last month or so I have been using 105# of assist..

I also use the cable lat pull down machine with 50# on it